Author Topic: My eBay purchased 74  (Read 101038 times)

Offline Padawan

• Noob!
Re: My eBay purchased 74
« Reply #360 on: August 23, 2013 - 06:22:46 PM »
Tire rub :( The 295's back there are just too much if they get a little low on pressure and don't granny all the corners.  I've ordered a new pair of 275s to replace them.  I went with BFG TAs because I didn't want to swap the fronts or run mismatched brands, but the Cooper Cobras had the RWL look and were available in the right size.  Anyone run those?

I just "upgraded" to these and as per the tire combo thread, many guys run them. I like it so far but have only had them for 2-3 weeks, not many miles on them. Here's the thread in case you've missed it:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=19470.675
1970 Challenger RT/SE 383

Add yourself here and then find others on the map

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #361 on: September 16, 2013 - 09:58:35 PM »
I put 275s on the rear, BFGs to match the fronts.  If I would have needed a the fronts swapped I probably would have switched to Cooper Cobras.  They look to be more "square" and less "balloon"  So they probably would have had better clearance.

I really haven't had the car out much recently so I decided to take it out the past few days.  Today I took it through the park and ended up missing a turn.  The ride ended up being about twice as long as I expected and I ended up going through some twisty roads I wasn't expecting and up an extended hill.  I definitely should take it out more often!

And with QA1 shocks on all 4 corners and no tire rub it was a very nice ride.  I still want to replace all the rubber in the front suspension over the winter, but for just ordinary street driving it's more than acceptable.

Offline walkAbout

« Reply #362 on: September 17, 2013 - 03:17:03 PM »
Nice, same here, much work and almost no ride.

Just have a completely rebuilt front end, a new 16:1 manual steering (hard to ride) Hotchkis leaf springs in the rear and Hotchkis torsion bars in the front plus Koni red shocks all around. WHAT A RIDE!!!

You really notice the new stuff "under the hood".

CU

walkAbout

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #363 on: September 18, 2013 - 08:12:43 PM »
Mounted my GoPros to the front of a coworkers BMW and attempted to get some action shots for possible calendar use.  Unfortunately getting close enough to get large HQ images is a bit tricker than expected.   Probably have to try a tripod and getting a few images that way.  However the pictures came out decent..so maybe I'll submit one for "additional" pictures if I don't get a solid car shot.

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #364 on: February 08, 2014 - 01:12:31 PM »
I fired up the Challenger for the first time in a while.  She's been trapped in the garage most of the winter and I've been working on projects for the Charger.  Especially the grille which I just finished up this weekend

The Challenger cranked for a bit, probably because the bowls had evaporated, but once it got fuel it started and ran no problem.    A big improvement over a few years ago where it was a struggle to keep it running when the temp was 80 much less 20.

On the plus side I discovered the heater does actually work.  But I discovered the center speaker in the dash is not working.  So if it gets warmer this week I'll see if I can get under the dash and figure out what is wrong with it.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #365 on: February 08, 2014 - 02:13:59 PM »
Nice job on the Charger grille!  Love the hidden lights!  :thumbsup:

Would be so cool to see that grill on the Challenger!  :grinyes:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #366 on: February 08, 2014 - 04:23:53 PM »

Would be so cool to see that grill on the Challenger!  :grinyes:
Watch the movie "In Time". You will see Challengers with that style of grille. Decent movie too!
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #367 on: February 08, 2014 - 05:40:20 PM »
In Time challengers had a billet grille with the headlights behind them, no hideaway doors:

They do make a Charger grille like that.  Roadkill made one:

Offline walkAbout

« Reply #368 on: February 28, 2014 - 01:44:40 PM »
But I discovered the center speaker in the dash is not working.  So if it gets warmer this week I'll see if I can get under the dash and figure out what is wrong with it.

No need to go under the dash. Just open it from the top. I have had none installed and got an alloy bracket here or at moparts and put 2 round speakers in. Connected it to the front of my stereo and sounds good. If you need a link, let me know.

And also here, first drive last Sunday.  :wow: So great. Waiting for next Sunday  :droolingbounce:

CU
walkAbout

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #369 on: April 01, 2014 - 05:15:40 PM »
Well the weather may finally have turned....at least I hope so.  The roads looked decent, so I pulled the Challenger out and took it for a spin.  No major issues but I didn't push it very hard.

Here's some crappy cell phone video of it after the ride:

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #370 on: May 31, 2014 - 03:13:48 PM »
Charger keeps taking all my car time, but today the Challenger got some attention.Pulled it out of the garage, drove it about and put some gas in it.  Then it was time to wash it:

It even looks good wet.

It is all set for Mopars at the Junction next weekend.  Hope the weather holds.

Offline whitewatersky

« Reply #371 on: June 01, 2014 - 03:47:20 AM »
This car looks so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so KOOOOOOOL.

Lookin for my first 70 Challenger
Plum Crazy auto T/A Challenger

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #372 on: March 19, 2015 - 06:20:35 AM »
Well the snow is almost completely melted and it's warm enough that I don't need a pair of gloves to work in the attached garage so I figured it was time to start working on the cars again.

The challenger was in the garage so that's where I started.  It cranked and cranked and cranked.  I double checked, it is getting fuel.  Hooked up the spark plug test light.  Nothing.  Swap the cable from the dist to the coil.  More cranking.  Sigh. Two days later the PO drops off the new coil I bought off Amazon.  Takes 5 minutes to get it connected up.  Car starts on the first crank.  All is well.

Took me the better part of an hour to remove the old coil (an MSD Blaster 2 that came on the car when I bought it)  and mount the new one (AC Delco E552C).  Bracket is mounted such that the screw head is on the engine side and pretty impossible to reach while it's in the car, so I had to take the bracket out.  Once I got it back in place I fired the car up.  Once it started it ran in high idle without me ever needing to touch the gas.  Once the pitch of the engine changed I blipped the throttle and it switched to curb idle without issue.  I let it run up to temp but couldn't take it out.  There's a bunch of junk behind/under it and the roads are still a bit salty  I'll move the junk this weekend and the forecast is calling for a little rain over the next few days so that will clean the roads.  Might get it on the streets before April this year.

Unfortunately the Charger is still locked in it's temporary prison.  Until the lawn dries out I won't be able to get it out of the backyard.  Maybe I'll get lucky and it will stay warm for a week or two...not counting on it though.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #373 on: March 19, 2015 - 09:14:31 PM »
Great to see you posting again. Great pair of cars you have!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline 73440

« Reply #374 on: March 19, 2015 - 10:00:08 PM »

So now I am just curious to which style would have been correct for a 1974.  I did some searching and didn't have much luck in finding a definitive answer.  I'm the 4th owner so the keys I have could easily have been replacements picked up along it's way to me.

Anyone know?
[/quote
My 73 has a gold colored very worn upside down star,has the feel of original but not sure, at least the third owner.
67 440
72 413 / 727
73 Barracuda w/ 68 440
65 Plymouth Fury III , I sold ,was my Nana's car till 92 yo.
51 Ford F1 239 Flathead, flipped , new cab , stolen
59 BelAir 283 4 door original patina
01 Chevy van 420, 520 miles
06 Crown Vic Police Interceptor
75 HD Ironhead converted to RH shift
73 HD Ironhead
82 HD Ironhead
74 Norton 850
80 HD Shovelhead
80 Husqvarna WR 390