Author Topic: My eBay purchased 74  (Read 101118 times)

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
Re: My eBay purchased 74
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2011 - 07:53:42 PM »
Coming along nicely!

5 qts btw.  :working:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2011 - 08:12:15 PM »
Both the owner's manual and the shop manual say 4:

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2011 - 08:19:17 PM »
...and then I read the footnote which says add an extra qt when you swap the filter.

Back to the garage to take care of that :)

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2011 - 07:54:24 PM »
...and then I read the footnote which says add an extra qt when you swap the filter.

Back to the garage to take care of that :)
:thumbsup:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2011 - 11:05:31 AM »
I pulled the car out of the garage to clean up after last week's oil change fun.  It happened to be nice and sunny so I snapped a few head on pictures:

I picked up a charcoal vapor canister off moparts on the cheap.  The carb doesn't actually support it but it will fill a few holes under the hood and hook that fuel vapor line into something for a cleaner look.  It was a little rough so I took it apart and soaked the bracket in Evapo-Rust.  The canister I cleaned with de-greaser and Simple Green.  Once I had them cleaned I gave them a quick sanding and a few mist coats of rattle can black.  I'm guessing the can was originally a gloss, but I think it came out decent in flat.

I also decided to take a shot at fixing the driver's side rear seat belt retractor.  I noticed it was sticking a while ago.  After removing it the problem was pretty obvious.

I used a flat head screw driver to keep the brake from engaging and managed to get the belt out.  After a quick straightening and a light ironing, the belt works as intended

I reinstalled it but, since I've been cleaning everything anyhow I pulled the whole rear seat and brought it inside for a cleaning.  Next up, I'll pull the front seat backs an rear quarter insides and give them a clean up.

Offline joelson6

« Reply #110 on: November 28, 2011 - 09:44:27 PM »
looking great !  :2thumbs:

i can remember once i couldn't get an oil filter off no matter what i did. finally i took a big
screwdriver and put it right through the side of the filter and used it as a pry bar.
that got it off  :pullinghair:

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2011 - 07:31:15 PM »
Keep up the great work!! :ylsuper:
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2011 - 05:11:00 PM »
Week 28:
I got a small piece of fuel line and mounted the charcoal canister. It's only hooked into the vapor line and not into the carb/purge, but it nicely fills the void, also it looks a lot better than wrapping the end of the vapor line in masking tape:

Work on the interior continues, I pulled the rear seats and both of the door panels, the poor challenger looks like I parked her in a bad neighborhood.

The rear seats cleaned up pretty easily.  More time was dedicated to the door panel.  I started on the driver's door which was by far the worst.  Repeated applications of warm water, dish soap, mineral spirits, simple green, degreaser, and Meguiars interior cleaner have managed to even out the panel and remove some of the age from it. The passenger's door is currently undergoing the same process.  Next on the list are the rear quarters.

Maybe a year or two down the road I'll look into doing a full interior swap.  I could paint/dye the panel and bring the color back but there is a lot of damage (mostly scratches that have wiped out the grain).  So a replacement is probably the way to go.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011 - 05:15:20 PM by Jamiez »

Offline Matt70

« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2011 - 08:30:20 PM »
Wow, looks great!   :2thumbs:
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2011 - 09:42:38 PM »
Wow, looks great!   :2thumbs:

:iagree: :clapping:  amazing what a little elbow grease will do! WOW!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Padawan

• Noob!
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2011 - 11:42:22 PM »
Wow, that looks great after that process! Maybe you can hold off from getting new ones even longer now. :)
1970 Challenger RT/SE 383

Add yourself here and then find others on the map

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2011 - 09:39:43 AM »
Nice work on the door panel.  It looks a lot better.  :thumbsup:

Offline Slotts

« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2011 - 10:51:59 AM »
Nice work, Jamie.  :2thumbs:  My first Challenger had a white interior and I really liked it.

Slotts

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2011 - 11:41:38 AM »
I like the Black/White combo look that the car has.  White is just murder to keep really clean.  And it doesn't look like anyone every really pulled the panels and put a lot of effort into cleaning them, so I'm removing years of grime. In the end the panel comes out looking okay, but it takes a lot of time to get there.  It's never going to be anything above driver quality due to the damage the panels have sustained.  Here is a close up of 2 sections of the driver panel before it was cleaned (same image as the Before picture but at 100% and cropped):

Afterwards the color is more even, so they are harder to spot from a distance. However when you're actually in the car, they are so close you see them especially the larger scratches.  It's the same effect I get when I wash the car.  Because I'm looking at each and every imperfection up close, it's a little depressing.  On the plus side, the driver's panel (and possibly the driver's kick) are the worst 2 in the car.  The passenger door has a lot less wear. And all the seats are in very good shape with only a few scuffs, no tears.

One of my friends mention possibly using a plastic/vinyl filler product and attempting to fill the large areas and re-grain them.  If it gets to that point, I'd probably rather pull the originals and store them and install the repops.  I'd rather not mess up the originals. 

It's a good winter project and I can spend a few minutes each day on a panel and then go do other stuff while it dries.  Everything other than mineral oil is safe to use indoors.  Of course my basement is now covered with the interior bits of the challenger.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011 - 11:45:46 AM by Jamiez »

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2011 - 02:58:36 PM »
Week 29:
More cleaning.  I removed pretty much every large panel from the car, and the center console and moved it into the basement for cleaning.  I still need to pull the seats and then I'll be able to remove the carpet and give it all a good cleaning.  I might go ahead and install some sound deadening in there as well.  I haven't decided but when the carpet is out, is definitely the time.

Since I had everything disassembled, I took the time to clean a lot of the metal parts in Evapo-Rust and coat them with RPM.  I also gave the chrome door parts a once over:

And since the console was out of the way I cleaned the bright work on the shifter and finally got all the dust out of the boot.  I probably need to consider taking the handle apart and cleaning/coating the screws but I don't want to mess with that at the moment.