Author Topic: My eBay purchased 74  (Read 101117 times)

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
Re: My eBay purchased 74
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2012 - 06:33:02 PM »
I plan to paint the intake too, but that's a bit more complicated as I'll have to remove it from the car first.  The valve covers and air cleaner I had spare ones to work on.  I'll probably also need to get the intake blasted as it has quite a few stains on it.

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #151 on: February 11, 2012 - 02:58:38 PM »
Week 38:
A lot of little packages showed up this week which let me finish a few things.

First big thanks to Nick of Nick's Garage (http://www.nicksgarage.com/).  His air cleaner page (http://www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner.htm)has been an invaluable reference and he even hooking me up with a set of correct self tapping hex heads to mount the OSAC/NOX valve to the side of my air cleaner:

Next, I hooked up the breather to the air cleaner and installed a gasket from Detroit Muscle Technology (DMT) .

I also got a battery hold down kit from Dave @ Roseville and installed it....so I no longer have to worry about my battery falling out, it was extremely simple and not expensive, so I have to wonder why it was let off before.

And finally I tried my hand at buffing.  I was inspired by C O D Y's excellent videos (I hope he gets a kick back from Eastwood).  I've been preparing the piece for weeks, bumping out the dents, sanding...and sanding...and did I mention sanding?  The buffing itself was pretty painless (although messy).  I'm pretty pleased with the results:

For reference this is what it looked like after bumping:

Offline Gumby

« Reply #152 on: February 11, 2012 - 05:44:53 PM »
Every time I gaze upon your beautiful, awesome car, Steely Dan starts playing in the back of my mind. You are the magnet, and I am the steel! lol. What a fantastic machine! You are doing all the little things (and big ones) that matter. Very Nice! Just a Groovy feeling comes over me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012 - 05:47:23 PM by Gumby »
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2012 - 05:36:18 PM »
Week 39:
Didn't get to work on the car much this week.  I reinstalled the trim I finished last week.  And installed the hose which goes under the air cleaner and back to the snorkle.
After looking around under the hood, I decided the radiator overflow reservoir looked like it needed some attention.  I pulled it and it wasn't very good looking.

Unfortunately the interior looked even worse...

I flushed the inside several times and got most of the gunk out.  I was hoping the exterior would clean up as well...but after a few days of soaking and scrubbing...I decided to give up on the yellowed plastic.  I ordered a new overflow bottle....and decided I might as well pick up a new washer bottle too...as I'm sure it will look horrible in comparison to a new overflow bottle.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2012 - 06:19:45 PM »
Pour a gallon of Evaporust inside should remove most or all the rust stains inside.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2012 - 06:24:59 PM »
Summerge it in White vinagar for a couple days ,should take the rust stains out also
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline Cuda_Kevin

« Reply #156 on: February 21, 2012 - 01:00:59 PM »
Burdar mentioned he had luck with some Meguiar's PlastX on his lenses, so I picked up a bottle of Meguiar's G12310 PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish off Amazon.  I plan to go over all the markers while I'm waiting for other stuff to arrive.

For the hinges, there is some adjustment you can make as the mounts are oval,  I tried a few positions and got it better..but not great.  I picked up a set of hinges off moparts a few weeks back, I plan on installing them and seeing if they are any better.  It seems like a lot of people have had issues with the springs going bad after all these years.

Thanks for the info!  How did the PlastX work on the all the lenses?  I also wonder if my hood springs are weak...I've maxed out the adjustment and it still sits up...The hinge pivot points seem sloppy and loose so I'm thinking the hinge is what's shot....

cheers,
Kevin
"I'm from the FAA, and I'm here to help"  : )

Offline Gumby

« Reply #157 on: February 21, 2012 - 07:55:28 PM »
Plast-X is AMAZING stuff! I bought a set of vintage pool balls off ebay that were translucent, but scuffed badly. Just sat and watched a couple of movies while I polished them with Plast-X and a microfiber cloth. They came out like jewled candy! They are colored, but see thru, Very nice stuff. I use it on all plastics (have a lot of 60s 70s MOD plastic decorations around the house) Stuff is fantastic!
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2012 - 05:20:10 PM »
Week 40:
After soaking, scrubbing, and various other techniques, I gave up on the overflow.  There are sections of it that were apparently not masked when a previous owner blacked out the engine bay.  Not to mention even the parts I was able to clean, come up yellowed.  So I decided to pull the washer bottle as well...might as well replace both at once.  Looks like there was a previous repair on the washer bottle:

I'm still waiting for the replacements to show up.  What did show up were my replacement scuff plates.  I considered working the dents out of my old plates, but being anodized aluminum they would need to be stripped and re-anodized for what that would cost...replacements seemed like the way to go for now.  I still have the originals in case I change my mind down the road.  Here you see them side by side:

Also this week, a stock intake for my 74 360 showed up.  I spent most of my car time working on getting it cleaned up.  I'm going to end up repainting it, but I might never install it. Still nice to have on hand:

The day it arrived:

Soaking in evapo-rust (that liquid was the color of lemonade when I put it in there):

After 2 days of soaking:

Scrubbed with degreaser:

I'll probably let it soak in degreaser again once I drain the tub of evapo-rust

I guess I just like repairing old stuff :) Or cleaning it at least.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2012 - 08:54:10 PM »
Go buy a gallon of muriatic acid.  It's only about $8 instead of $30 for EvapoRust.  I just soaked my plastic license plate clip things in acid and it took off all the rust stains.  It works a lot faster then EvapoRust.  On metal parts, just remember so soak them in backing soda water to neutralise the acid. 

I've heard you can lighten up old plastic parts by soaking them in bleach.  I soaked the lower shifter bushing for 5 hours and it lightened up a little.  I should have let it sit all day to see if it continued to lighten. 

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2012 - 09:10:26 PM »
I had the container filled with bleach and sitting in bleach and it really didn't touch the color.  I got all the stains out, but it's discolored and has black paint on it in a number of places.

Offline NCtrueconservative

« Reply #161 on: February 25, 2012 - 11:26:44 PM »
If you decide to sell the overflow and washer bottle let me know, I might be interested in them
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye (pictured), 340, Slap Stick

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

Offline joelson6

« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2012 - 02:48:57 PM »

Go buy a gallon of muriatic acid.  It's only about $8 instead of $30 for EvapoRust.  I just soaked my plastic license plate clip things in acid and it took off all the rust stains.  It works a lot faster then EvapoRust.  On metal parts, just remember so soak them in backing soda water to neutralise the acid. 

watch the muriatic acid. only use it on steel and cast stuff. that stuff will eat through almost anything. someone told me to try it on an A/C fitting and it completely ate away the fitting  :banghead:

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2012 - 08:36:02 AM »
I think my wife would make me bathe in that stuff if she found an intake in the kitchen.  :bigsmile:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2012 - 05:03:54 PM »
Those intake pictures are split between the storage room in the garage and the basement.  The intake hasn't been in the kitchen :) I wouldn't bring the evapo rust in the house for fear that the cat would get into it :)