Author Topic: My eBay purchased 74  (Read 101089 times)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: My eBay purchased 74
« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2012 - 05:47:44 PM »
I think my wife would make me bathe in that stuff if she found an intake in the kitchen.  :bigsmile:

Funny how that's a universal thing with women huh?  :roflsmiley:.....mine too!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2012 - 12:45:07 PM »
Week 41:

Some of the new plastic arrived and I managed to put the overflow tank in.  Unfortunately I had an issue with the wiper motor and it ended up cracking the threads.  But here are the side by sides of a new tank versus the old:

And when the weather was decent, I took the wire wheel to the intake removing the old paint.  I really should blast it, but I don't have the capability...so it's been slow going

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2012 - 12:58:12 PM »
Aircraft stripper is the quickest!

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2012 - 07:04:18 PM »
Week 42:
Didn't have a lot of time to work on the car this week.  I finally managed to get the windshield washer reservoir reinstalled.  It fought me every step of the way, from the motor cracking when I reinstalled it (not to mention needing an 18" socket extension and a deep well to even install the thing) to needing to take the motor apart and rotate it to get the wiring into position.

Combined with the newly replaced overflow tank, the look of the plastics in the engine bay is vastly improved:

I also picked up a small tin of fuses off eBay.  I like to carry a few replacements in the car, and the tin looks a lot better than just a plastic bag.  The original tin came with 5 30A ones, but I switched them out with an array of sizes that the car uses.

With the plastics completed and everything back together, I realized there was no need to keep the hood open any more.  I've had it open for the past month or 2 while I was working on valve covers, air cleaner, etc.  It looked so different I decided to snap a picture of it:

I also decided to clean up the garage, and I took another look at the original glove box liner that I pulled off the car.  First I noticed it had been marked with a "12"

Second in the upper corner, there was a piece of masking tape and under it was:

So that means at one point there were at least 2 broadcast sheets in the car.  One taped to the back of the glove box and obviously removed by a previous owner and the one I found under the driver's seat. 

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #169 on: March 20, 2012 - 08:09:22 PM »
Week 43:
Not much progress this past week.  I had planned on firing up the car, taking it for a spin, giving it a complete cleaning, then maybe driving to one of the pots I scouted and taking some pictures. But the Challenger had different plans..........

The first day I got it out of the garage, I got to the end of the driveway.  At that point it was smoking so I decided to pull it back into the garage and figure out what was going on.  Turns out oil was leaking onto exhaust from the new valve covers.  It took the rest of the week to get them sorted and everything clean up/burned off so the smoking ceased.

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2012 - 04:36:58 PM »
Week 44:

Took the car out for a quick spin.  The dripping oil hasn't returned.  However the brake light turned on during the ride and stayed on for 3 days.  At which point it mysteriously shut off.  I've decided to give the brakes a complete going over...it needed to be done.  I jacked up the rear and pulled a tire.  Now I need to clean it up and take a look at what I've got.

With the nice weather, I finished the work on my test intake.  FIrst I power washed the last of the paint and grime off it:

Then a little masking:

And after primer, 2 coats of Chrysler Medium Engine Blue, and 2 coats of clear:

Not bad considering this is what it looked like when I brought it in the door:

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2012 - 06:18:54 PM »
Nice job! :2thumbs:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Padawan

• Noob!
« Reply #172 on: March 25, 2012 - 06:32:02 PM »
Nice comparison! :thumbsup:

I see you have four leaves, did you add one yourself or did the car come with four? I only have three, though I could err...
1970 Challenger RT/SE 383

Add yourself here and then find others on the map

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2012 - 08:09:51 PM »
That's what the car had on it when I got it.  I know the rear end has had some work done as there are air shocks back there.  The ride is pretty good, I like the stance, and all I do is some light street driving.  I'm not worried about it being able to hook up or autocross,  Going over the rear suspension is on the list....just not at the top :)

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #174 on: March 26, 2012 - 09:13:51 PM »
I got to the end of the driveway.  At that point it was smoking so I decided to pull it back into the garage and figure out what was going on.  Turns out oil was leaking onto exhaust from the new valve covers.
Been there...done that... :grinyes:

Reminded me of when I put the 'Mopar Performance' valve covers on my engine. Sounds like a carbon copy of your experience!
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #175 on: March 26, 2012 - 09:20:17 PM »
Alternate universe :)  I took the Mopar Performance ones OFF and it started leaking :)  It was a learning experience for sure...I could definitely fix it a lot quicker next time. 

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #176 on: March 26, 2012 - 09:29:50 PM »
Incase you didn't already know, brake linings can have asbestos in them.  Don't just blow the dust off of the drum brake assemblies.  The dust needs to be washed off so it doesn't become airborn.

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #177 on: March 28, 2012 - 05:50:29 PM »
Incase you didn't already know, brake linings can have asbestos in them.  Don't just blow the dust off of the drum brake assemblies.  The dust needs to be washed off so it doesn't become airborn.

Thanks :)  I'd been warned about it before.  I picked up some brake cleaner, my mask and went to work:

I probably won't have time to do any more work on her this weekend so this will probably be it for Week 45.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #178 on: March 28, 2012 - 08:49:56 PM »

Asbestos is suppossed to be phased out many years ago.

However...

http://www.mesothelioma.com/asbestos-exposure/products/brake-pads/
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #179 on: March 28, 2012 - 09:06:39 PM »
I have no idea when the last time the shoes were changed.  Just one of the many mysteries of the car.  I figure better safe than sorry :)