challenger vs cuda

Author Topic: challenger vs cuda  (Read 27824 times)

Offline high perf mopar

Re: challenger vs cuda
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2011 - 08:37:11 PM »
Both cars are well liked over many other Mopars that are cooler in their own rights...
However, it is my belief that the only reason these cars are as well liked is the fact they resemble the '67- '69 Camaro,[ the Cuda more so than the Challenger] that came out three years before...

My choice is the Challenger. Everybody and their brother have a 1970-74 Hemi cloned Cuda..

you r correct that they look like the camaros,,but so much better,,i was parked next to a 68 camaro a couple of weeks ago at a car show the simalarities r unmistakeable..the guy said now he has to go out and find a mopar!!lol..wider body,,does not angle down in the back like a pallet of diet pepsi fell on it,,better stance.. :cheers:
1971 barracuda
440-6 shaker
chrysler 3x2 competiton carbs mech,what chrysler should have done.
b-5 blue
"you got yourself some motor there boy!" 1973,,white lightning.MGM studios burt reynolds

Offline D70challenger

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2011 - 01:54:28 AM »
I never thought they resembled the Camaro. Eah has their own opinion and i respect it but not what i think. One of the reasons I went with the Challenger is cause i felt it was different and much better looking then the standard muscle cars such as Mustangs, Camaros etc. I know that they used a Camaro for certain scenes in vanishing point but none the less, I still dont feel they are similar realy.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011 - 03:01:25 AM by D70challenger »

1970 Dodge Challenger
2005 Ford Mustang

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2011 - 02:17:52 AM »
Both cars are well liked over many other Mopars that are cooler in their own rights...
However, it is my belief that the only reason these cars are as well liked is the fact they resemble the '67- '69 Camaro,[ the Cuda more so than the Challenger] that came out three years before...

My choice is the Challenger. Everybody and their brother have a 1970-74 Hemi cloned Cuda..
Oh please  ::)
Dennis,Ohio

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2011 - 10:07:08 PM »
However, it is my belief that the only reason these cars are as well liked is the fact they resemble the '67- '69 Camaro,
Close enough to be used as a Challenger double in 'Vanishing Point', albeit briefly. :2cents:
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline 360FISH

• BS23H3B567746
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2011 - 10:35:32 PM »
Close enough to be used as a Challenger double in 'Vanishing Point', albeit briefly. :2cents:
I don't see it.  Never been the same for me.  'Cuda and Chally very different in my mind.  'Cuda best of course.  ;)
1973 ‘Cuda   Semi-Pro Touring
360 SB - 518/OD auto tranny - FAST EZ EFI - Edelbrock Fuel sump - HHR fan
Hella H4 headlights on relays - 97 Dodge Avenger seats - Chin spoiler - Bumpers pulled in to ’72 offset

Build: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=74674.0

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2011 - 06:24:00 AM »
Nay sayers can deny it all they want, but the truth usually hurts..There's a reason these cars are as popular as they are...

I can just bet you've NEVER heard this one before either when talking to others bout Mopars..."Chrysler made bout the ugliest cars ever concieved...Cept for the Hemi Cuda and that car in that movie where the dude was running from the law..Came out in the 70's i think..Name was kowalski I believe".
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2011 - 09:29:44 AM »
I don't know if its ugly ... akward??  try AMC's designs.  Those took the cake as aprt MOPAR, Ford, GM, and a touch of their own.
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2011 - 09:32:29 AM »
you r correct that they look like the camaros,,but so much better,

The Cuda looks like a more highly stylized version of a Camaro, and side by side the differences are obvious to even the casual observer, but when you consider the majority of the late model driving public can't tell the difference between a Challenger and a Charger, they certainly aren't going to differentiate between the GM F body and Chrysler E bodies. Long, nose, short trunk, narrow rear windows, yup, basic pony car configurations. The only thing that prevents Mustangs from getting lumped in to that ID confusion is that it seems everybody and their brother/sister seems to have owned a 65-67 Mustang at some time or another.

..."Chrysler made bout the ugliest cars ever concieved...

Actually have heard that before, several times actually. Until about the 1970 model, most Chrysler designs were about 3-5 years behind the curve of what the public wanted compared to what Ford and GM were doing. Look at the first generation Barracuda compared to the Mustang or the first gen GTX compared to the GTO.  In both cases the competition built better looking cars  or built them sooner. I'd say AMC was the opposite and was too far ahead of the curve for what their designers were doing. Some of their early 70s design cues didn't hit the GM studios until the early 80s.

Offline FinallyRearDrive

• one lucky little SOB
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2011 - 08:04:34 PM »
One thing we can all agree on: MOPAR or no car. Personally I gravitated to the Cuda without any hesitation despite the uphill battle with money when compared to the (relatively) more affordable Challengers. I just love the look, and I like owning a car from a dead company... it kind of increases the exclusivity feel for me (plus I just think the name 'Cuda' sounds cooler and more aggressive than 'Challenger, but that's neither here nor there). What's funny, is if I couldn't have a Cuda for some reason, I would get a Road Runner rather than a Challenger, but that's another story.

The E-body was origanlly developed by Chrysler to keep up with the Mustangs of the mid 60's. They saw the crazy success the short deck/long hood look was winning Ford and they wanted a piece of the action. Chevy hopped on that train a few years before Chrysler finished development on the E-bodies, which gave Chrysler a good advantage to make sure they were making a more powerful, better looking, more functional product. But because they were trying to appeal to the same customers, there are absolutely at least a few vague similarities between E and F bodies. But in the end, I think the passion for the classic E-body that's floating around this forum right now is a great testimate to Chrysler's success in building cars every bit as great as they wanted.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011 - 08:06:47 PM by FinallyRearDrive »

Offline D70challenger

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2011 - 03:54:59 AM »
The only thing that prevents Mustangs from getting lumped in to that ID confusion is that it seems everybody and their brother/sister seems to have owned a 65-67 Mustang at some time or another.

I got my current mustang, (the 05 red mustang in my signature) when i was 16, 4 years ago. and in my left picture of the chally you can see can see on the border another white car... if you guessed thats a 67 mustang youd be correct. at the age of 20 i already have 2 mustangs and a challenger so yes i would say WAY to common. the white mustang was given to me by my mother which was passed down from her father. The '67 needs to be restored but il do that later. I wanted something unique and 67 mustang is FAR from unique, im almost willing to bet 5 dollars that if you go driving for 20 minutes you will see at least 1 classic 'Stang, at least thats how it is in Southern Cali.

1970 Dodge Challenger
2005 Ford Mustang

Offline joelson6

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2011 - 06:52:33 AM »

One thing we can all agree on: MOPAR or no car.

i think you made this statement a little premature.

there is definitely Ford, GM and AMC cars that i like and i would have if i had enough money.
i always likes Camaros and my wife has 2 of them. a '68 and a '70 Z28

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2011 - 10:25:42 AM »
I was in high school in the early 80s when most of these cars were 10-15 years old, or right at the bottom of their value. They were old clunkers that people gave to kids so we could drive the wheels off of them. On any given day, there were easily 20-25 Mustangs of various vintages in the parking lot. There were maybe a  dozen Camaros, and all of the mopars could be counted on one hand. In my group of closest friends, there were 4 Mustangs, 2 Chevelles, 2 Camaros, and my lone Road Runner.

Interstingly enough, the Barracuda came to market before the Mustang. But stodgy styling and the association to the Valiant line (IE little old ladies) compared to the cleaner Mustang design and advertising towards the youth market, put Plymouth at a disadvantage right from the start. Yeah Mopar made up for it 5 years later, but by then the writing was on the wall and the era had peaked and was going to tank before Chrysler could capitlize on it.

In absolute numbers, there were more Challengers made than E body Barracudas. Is this part of what attracts buyers to Cudas and drives their cost higher, or is it that it more closely resembles the Camaro than a Challenger does, I don't know but I'm sure we all have an opinoin of that. In the limited run, pedigreed cars like Hemis and 6 packs, values will always be higher, regardless of model. But in the more pedestrian /6, 318, and 383 cars, the Challengers will typically be priced lower than a comparable Barracuda.

Restoration costs, on the other hand, will be about the same between a Cuda and Challenger, which will always be higher than the equivilent Camaro or Mustang. That is just simple economics.

Offline johns cuda shop

• 71 Cuda Pro-Touring Build
  • Machinist and Fabricator
    • Custom Machine Components
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2011 - 08:20:28 PM »
 :popcorn:
71 Cuda Gen III Aluminum 426 Hemi T56 6 speed 4.10 8.75 Modified & Lowered RMS coilover suspension Wilwood discs

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2011 - 08:46:00 PM »
The Cuda looks like a more highly stylized version of a Camaro, and side by side the differences are obvious to even the casual observer, but when you consider the majority of the late model driving public can't tell the difference between a Challenger and a Charger, they certainly aren't going to differentiate between the GM F body and Chrysler E bodies. Long, nose, short trunk, narrow rear windows, yup, basic pony car configurations. The only thing that prevents Mustangs from getting lumped in to that ID confusion is that it seems everybody and their brother/sister seems to have owned a 65-67 Mustang at some time or another.

Sound reasoning, HP2.  :grinyes:  Typical pony car make up of long hood, short rear deck deal.

:clueless:  Where's the member that originally posted this question?
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline FinallyRearDrive

• one lucky little SOB
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2011 - 11:25:21 PM »
:clueless:  Where's the member that originally posted this question?

:roflsmiley: