Author Topic: Pro's and Cons of 1970 Challenger  (Read 6710 times)

Offline Paul C

Pro's and Cons of 1970 Challenger
« on: July 05, 2011 - 08:44:32 AM »
Ok guys i need to tap in to the wealth of knowledge you have all gained while building your awesome projects.  I am hunting but hesitant to buy at the moment a 1970 Challenger (the model doesnt matter to me, it is what you make it). I read all the magazines but still i am hesitant in my ability to invest my hard earned cash in to a car and it turn out to be a heap of crap.  i have around about $7k to buy the car, but what i am looking for is some gems of information as to what is the big tell tale signs of a good or garabge buy.

Thanks in adavnce for any advice   :feedback:

:canada:
Waiting for the deal of the Century

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: Pro's and Cons of 1970 Challenger
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011 - 09:43:28 AM »
Well, $7k puts you in the project catagory as it won't buy a real good completed or restored car.  You can find some "mud and paint" restorations inthat range, but these are the vehicles you need to be wary of. You may also be able to pick up an non completed project that has had a fair amount of the hard work done in that price range. Are you hesitant because of your ability or because you don't know what to look for? What experience have you had with other old cars?

Offline Paul C

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011 - 09:50:35 AM »
A bit of both really, i have worked on cars before but never anything as extensive as a project car.  I am orignally from the uk now living in Canada, but always loved the American muscle cars, so my first hand knowledge of the cars is in my view very limited.  I guess i am just trying to get a sense of direction so i have a good base to start from.  I am looking for a project that is a good start not too much rust, at least a solid rolling chassis and it has to be a 70's challenger. I have seen some for around the 10k range but i just want to make sure i am asking the right questions so i am not overwhelmed or suprised at the amount of work that is required once it is parked on my drive.

Thanks for your reply

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011 - 10:26:14 AM »
There are a bunch of people that can help you find answers, when you do find a car, get GOOD pics and try to post them here, the rust issues well there are always going to be a problem on a 40 plus year old car,try to find cars in the southwest, Arizona,New Mexico,Texas,and Colorado,the sheet metal is a little better due to the dry climate :popcorn:

Offline Paul C

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011 - 11:39:23 AM »
Thanks guys you are being a great help, hopfully i can post some pics of my new purchase soon  :cooldancing:

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011 - 11:42:49 AM »
If you can, I would try to post some pictures of a potential purchase, so we can point out problem areas. Good luck!
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline Paul C

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011 - 11:47:33 AM »
that is a great idea....will look for some and post ASAP 

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011 - 12:32:45 PM »
If you are like me and body work is foriegn to you, then I would buy a car with a solid frame rails and body. It could be a roller(not have a engine), but at least you would have a strong foundation to start with. Have patients too. Projects are often limited by time or money or both.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011 - 04:20:09 PM by MEK-Dangerfield »

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Paul C

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011 - 01:25:55 PM »
i have to say body work is alittle duanting to me but i am willing to learn what ever i can, thanks for the advice

Offline D70challenger

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011 - 04:54:45 AM »
Where are you looking for your challenger? i found mine on ebay, if you do as well you need to be careful not to be taken for a fool, i feel i was. an opposing bidder, who i believe was the seller with another account kept bidding me up then outbid me, a day later i got a message from the seller saying the other buyer bailed. could be a legitamate story but im not sure.

such cars as this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-speed-V8-project-no-motor-tranny-exc-body-NO-RESERVE-/190552294959?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2c5dcd462f
could be a potential buy maybe? body looks relativley straight, and solid, little surface rust behind wheels but thats common. trunk and floor pans appear to be completely destroyed. but other areas such as around the windshield look like it could be solid. its still got a ways to go but you never know.

1970 Dodge Challenger
2005 Ford Mustang

Offline Paul C

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011 - 07:45:09 AM »

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011 - 08:42:55 AM »
His description matches what  Stockmopar's decoder and came back with:

Code     Description
E61   383-2 Barrel
D32   H-D A-727 TorqueFlite Trans / Some Years A-998
JH23   
J = Dodge Challenger
H = High
23 = 2 Door Hardtop
L0E   
L = 383 290HP 1-2BBL 8 CYL
0 = 1970
E = Los Angeles, CA, USA
116255   Sequence Number '116255'
EB5   Paint Code: Bright Blue Metallic / Blue Fire Irid
H4B5   
Trim Grade/Style/Color
H = High
4 = Vinyl Split Bench w/ Center Armrest
B5 = Medium Blue
000   Upper Door Frame: Full Door Panel
A30   Date Built: 10 / 30 / 1969
075712   Order Number: 075712
V1W   Roof Type OR Color:  Full Vinyl Top - White
G33   Left Hand Outside Mirror - Manual / Chrome
H51   Single Air /w Heater
M21   Roof Drip Rail Moldings
N95   Nox Exhaust Emission Control
R11   Music Master Radio AM
V1W   Full Vinyl Top - White
26   26 in. Radiator
END   End of Codes

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011 - 09:04:58 AM »
One thing you must take into account is if you have a budget for the purchase that you don't exhaust all your reserves and have nothing to continue on with the restoration. Having the car sitting and no funds can be a real downer and you really do need to have something in reserve so that you can keep your interest alive and therefore move forward. This is where so many restorers fall down and then have to sell cheap usually losing a bundle of money with nothing to show for it. We all spend more money than the car is usually worth but it is an investment in the fun and joy of driving a car that we put some time and effort into that really matters. There are plenty of good ideas and help to be found on this board so don't hesitate to ask any questions, good luck.    :cheers:
As you are in Canada and may have to buy out of America check out what is needed to import back into Canada, There are a couple of members who have done it and you do need to be aware of the process.   :2thumbs:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011 - 09:08:04 AM by Aussie Challenger »
Dave

Offline Paul C

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011 - 09:49:18 AM »
Thanks for all your great advice, you guys are awesome, i will look in to the importing rules etc

thanks again guys