Author Topic: 1972 Dodge Challenger 'GT' project  (Read 47499 times)

Offline airfueleddie

Re: 1972 Dodge Challenger 'GT' project
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011 - 02:47:58 PM »
Thanks a bunch guys, I'll keep updating the pics from time to time. Just need to get that Keisler RS kit for E-Bodys and then we can make some real progress!

Offline grimmey71

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011 - 05:31:05 PM »
That is looking good, and that road trip sounds like a blast.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011 - 01:20:31 PM »
You need to remove the V off the rear valance so the plate is in flush & doesn't interfere with the bumper
SO you got the engine build finished up ! I assume you are happy with the result ?
The 72 Project looks like a blast !
If I can offer one more piece of advice Skip buying the trans from Keisler , Passon is building a 5 speed & is awesome to deal with , I have have had horrible experiences dealing with Keisler , there are far better people to deal with .

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline airfueleddie

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011 - 01:40:34 PM »
Thanks Chryco! I need to buy another Valance panel since the people who had the car simply welded it on! I had to save the 1/4 panel flange for the new valance, so I cut itt off near the flange and will order a new AMD unit when the time comes along with the valance brackets,(which they also omitted) and I'll take off the funky liscenese plate stuff when it goes on. I'm NOT a body guy,, engines are my specialty. After I get it on the road,, Fuel Injection, big brakes and stiff suspension from Firm Feel will be upgraded.  I was 'thinking' that since the Keisler has an internal rail shift mechanism it would shift a bit smoother than the old style linkage set-up, BUT I will take your advice to heart! I am going to wait till Sept. 2011, if the Keisler isnt available I will buy the Passon 5-Speed overdrive. YES, the engine build was very successful! 617 HP and over 600 FT. lbs. all under 5800 RPM's and it made 12"@900 RPM's with a very nice idle. It should make a great street powerplant, which was my intention all along. Chryco please disregard the PM I figured out how the torque boxes should go. Thanks again,,,Eddie

Offline airfueleddie

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011 - 02:06:56 PM »
I just got off the phone with Jaimie Passon,, I am going with his 5-Speed overdrive transmission when it becomes available for the E-Body this Fall!  He's a great man to talk to and I appreciate his honesty!  Thanks Chyrco for putting this in my head!! I have a few months to save up for it so looks like I better get busy with the chassis mods!  Eddie

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011 - 12:06:37 AM »
Awesome , we will have to go for a cruise when you get it finished !!
Jamie is great to deal with & his products are well engineered , I am glad you are going with his transmission !

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline airfueleddie

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011 - 02:22:26 PM »
Awesome , we will have to go for a cruise when you get it finished !!
Jamie is great to deal with & his products are well engineered , I am glad you are going with his transmission !
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction chryco! Yeah, I owe you a ride bigtime. here is the finished trunk floor, my Hobart welder crapped out on me, the wire feed unit spool feed is jammed up. But I will get the connectors and TB's welded in a few weeks. Wish I could use our school shops Miller tig welder, but being upside down it would just be easier to MIG weld it.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011 - 02:53:16 PM »
Sounds like it's gonna be a real street brawler! :2thumbs:  Nice job!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline airfueleddie

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2011 - 03:33:29 PM »
Thanks Brad, hope your engine project goes well, I think you will be happy with the Lunati stuff, they make very high quality parts. Yesterday, I sold the 8.75 B-Body rear that they had stuffed under my 72 just to get it out the door. By the time I replaced the parts I would be bucks ahead buy just buying a NEW Dana 60 built by Dr. Diff. So thats what I am going to do! 35 splined axles, Detroit tru-Trac, ESPO "Hemi" Leaf springs, Just suspension H.D. shackles,(non-adjustable cause the valance will get in the way, I know this cause they wouldnt fit on my 70,, to long) MoPar or Ford 10"  drums. Should be a stout unit! Talk at ya soon,,,,Eddie

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2011 - 05:49:06 PM »
Thanks Brad, hope your engine project goes well, I think you will be happy with the Lunati stuff, they make very high quality parts. Yesterday, I sold the 8.75 B-Body rear that they had stuffed under my 72 just to get it out the door. By the time I replaced the parts I would be bucks ahead buy just buying a NEW Dana 60 built by Dr. Diff. So thats what I am going to do! 35 splined axles, Detroit tru-Trac, ESPO "Hemi" Leaf springs, Just suspension H.D. shackles,(non-adjustable cause the valance will get in the way, I know this cause they wouldnt fit on my 70,, to long) MoPar or Ford 10"  drums. Should be a stout unit! Talk at ya soon,,,,Eddie

Ya I'm going to go with a Dana 60 from Cass as well, all the same as you but with rear disc's I think.
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline airfueleddie

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2011 - 06:33:00 PM »
Ya I'm going to go with a Dana 60 from Cass as well, all the same as you but with rear disc's I think.
Yeah, Brad, I would like a rear disc kit but I'm gonna be way way way over my meager budget already, but big brakes are always a great idea on any street high powered car like ours are gonna be. When I do get the rear 1st. week of Jan 2012 I still may request them. It would have to be a kit that retains the tapered axle bearing I wont use ball bearings on them,,this car has to go 5,000 miles trouble free and still tame 600+Ft. lbs. thru the Colo/Utah/Nevada Mts. and my insane driving style.

Offline Gumby

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012 - 06:31:33 PM »
Green int, tan ext would have been way cool! lol.
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline airfueleddie

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2012 - 04:31:44 PM »
The Dr. Diff  Dana 60 should be here in a week or 2,,,with 11.7" Cobra brakes, Detroit Tru-Trac, 35 splined CM axles,  1350  Yoke, stainless brake line kit and Cass's custom rear brake hoses, Heavy alloy support cover and the width will be a bit wider for Mustang Bullitt 2004 wheels(Part# 1007),  17" X 8" with 5.72" backspacing 2.890 centering hole. I'm gonna use Andy Finkbeiner's 2004 Viper front disc brake kit for the front discs with the GT wheels. Here is a pic of a 5 wheels I got off a mustang guy for a decent price. No the phord wheel centers wont stay!! :bigsmile:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012 - 04:34:17 PM by airfueleddie »

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2012 - 05:20:47 PM »
Ok, been really wanting to use these or the Mach 1 rims.  Do you need spacers with your set up?  What brake system are you using up front?  Thanks!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2012 - 05:28:02 PM »
Looking good! :2thumbs:
What sort of led time does Cass need for the Dana?
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post