Author Topic: Gotta vent! GRRRRRRR!  (Read 7557 times)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Gotta vent! GRRRRRRR!
« on: July 13, 2011 - 03:17:12 PM »
A couple of months ago my next door neighbour comes over and asks if my kids have BB guns. I think uh oh and answer yes. So he asks me to come over and look at his window. Yep it has a hole in it. I have no idea if it was my kids or not but since they do have BB guns I figure it's time to man up and be the one with the balls so to speak.
 I read my kids the riot act and explain how much it's gonna cost etc...of cource they know nothing about it? ::) 
 I say to the neighbour I'll cover it. So he says it's about $500 so he gets it replaced comes over and says it was $565 shows be a flyer... etc.. I say ok I have the $ 500 cash here and give it to him and say I get the rest today from the bank.
So this is the part that has me pissed....
I go over to pay the rest, he is not home. So I figure I'll have a look at the new window. He upgraded to an opening style window were the old one was a picture window.( doesn't open at all, was sitting there beside the wall) I quickly look online at Lowes and see that size ( I measured it) for under $200!
Man that pisses me off ! Now I'm thinking what do I do now? Confront him/ ask him? Or leave it alone? Last thing I want to do is make war with my neighbours !
Just pisses me of getting taken advantage of like that by my neighbour! :stomp: I've repaired his lawn tractor a few times and only charged him for parts, to bad it doesn't seem to work both ways huh? What ever happened to things like honour, integrity, values? I have half a mind to hand him the remaining $65 and say my conciense is worth more than that! :stomp:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline grimmey71

Re: Gotta vent! GRRRRRRR!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011 - 03:26:32 PM »
Ya gotta talk to him first and give him the benefit of the doubt. THat way if was a misunderstanding than you wont have a grudge for the rest of your life. and if he is dick bag about it then at least it really only cost ya an extra couple hundred to figure it out now.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011 - 03:28:39 PM »
Ya gotta talk to him first and give him the benefit of the doubt. THat way if was a misunderstanding than you wont have a grudge for the rest of your life. and if he is dick bag about it then at least it really only cost ya an extra couple hundred to figure it out now.

Good advice, that's how I was leaning towards...
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011 - 03:33:58 PM »
I`d give him hell... neighbour or not  :villagers:   no misunderstandings about upgrading huh....  :screwy:
*** Bart ***

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011 - 03:53:39 PM »
Since he isn't home now, you could always break the new window.    :misbehaving:

I would have a talk with him. Don't let him know you're upset up front. Just see if he can possibly explain this upgrade at your expense.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Barracudadan

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011 - 03:57:17 PM »
Are you sure it was your kids that caused the damage in the first place? Maybe the price he told you was for the window plus labor to put it in? If he put it in the window himself he should have only asked for the cost of a new window.  :2cents:

If he wanted a better window than what he had he should pay the difference out of his pocket. You are only obligated to replace what he had not more than that, and thats only if it was your kids who caused the damage in the first place. Again just my :2cents:

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011 - 04:04:01 PM »
Are you sure it was your kids that caused the damage in the first place? Maybe the price he told you was for the window plus labor to put it in? If he put it in the window himself he should have only asked for the cost of a new window.  :2cents:

If he wanted a better window than what he had he should pay the difference out of his pocket. You are only obligated to replace what he had not more than that, and thats only if it was your kids who caused the damage in the first place. Again just my :2cents:
[/quote

No I'm not 100% certain it was my kids, just thought  I'd be a good neighbour.  He told me a buddy put it in for him and that he paid him$100 for doing it. Whether it was my kid or not doesn't concern me, just the fact that he upgraded at my expence/good nature?

"Since he isn't home now, you could always break the new window. "
HAHA Mike!  :smilielol:   
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline 340_6pak

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011 - 04:39:24 PM »
It never hurts to ask for a receipt. The look on his face will give you the answer. And while I am at it, don't most homeowners policies cover glass breakage with no deductable?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011 - 04:41:21 PM by 340_6pak »
73 Challenger
340 6pak

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011 - 04:57:59 PM »
I think he should of just replaced the glass instead of buying a whole new window.  And $500 is outragous!  Yeah he is taking advantage of you . . . probably has his own BB-Gun and shot the window himself.    :swear:

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011 - 05:12:12 PM »
Brad, ask for a receipt. Say you need it to submit to your insurance company.
If he balks at that, then you probably got screwed. Or, he might have
gotten the best he could for 500 bucks at your expense. Either way, it doesn't
seem like you have a very friendly neighbor. Time to tune up the chally at 9 or ten in the evening.
And don't forget to set the total advance at 3000 rpm's lol.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011 - 05:43:54 PM »
This guy sounds like a real tool.  :eek4:
You should have only been responsible for the glass replacement. Not a new whole new window. And not one better than was broken to begin with for sure. Next time he wants something from you, hand him a itemized bill with deep labor costs and 200% makup on the parts. I'm sure this tool will try to take advantage of you again, make sure that doesn't never happen anymore.  :2cents:

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011 - 05:46:38 PM »
Brad i agree with a few others here your neighbor is most diffinally taking advantage of you. You should only pay for the cost of the window that was broken and not an upgrade either  :nono: I like cudamanns idea, time for a tuneup buddy  :bigsmile: I hate all my neihbors and i do ALOT of tuneups ask member Metallychallenged  :roflsmiley:
Dennis,Ohio

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011 - 06:01:40 PM »
I think he should of just replaced the glass instead of buying a whole new window.  And $500 is outragous!  Yeah he is taking advantage of you . . . probably has his own BB-Gun and shot the window himself.    :swear:
It was one of those vinyal windows all sealed so you can't replace just the glass. Still makes me pissy about the "upgrade though! Some people huh!
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011 - 06:30:05 PM »
No good deeds go unpunished my friend!  :22yikes:

still suxazz tho......  :grinyes:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011 - 06:44:47 PM »
 :ylsuper: I like 70cudamann's idea,ask him for a receipt to turn in to your insurance,see what he says/does,he also may have gotten qoutes from a glass co. just throwing out a price at him for a bay window and said around 500.00.then he saw the roll out window for the same if he doe's the labor and figured why not upgrade.take it slow for now brad it may just be a misunderstanding..

also if it were my kids that shot out that window i would get it out of them if they did it oo not and if they did,again 'IF" THEY WERE MINE THAT WINDOW WOULD GET BACK PAID IN FULL OUT OF THEIR ALLOWENCE.for as long as it took.my eight year old son just broke one of the crankout windows on my house last week right after i just got telling him two seconds earlier not to throw it at the house,he has a pretty good pitching arm for a 8 yr old.he felt really bad after i yelled at him and told him it will come out of his allowence cause i'm calling my glass guy to repair it,luckly i had one in my garage the right size still from warranty so i fix it my self when he wasn't around.i think he got a little out of it cause he doesn't throw the ball in the front yard anymore.  :thumbsup:

good luck in whatever you do/find out.........  :thumbsup:

:cheers: Dave...............
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD