Author Topic: Factory oil pressure gauge = ? PSI  (Read 1241 times)

Offline 1971Challenger

Factory oil pressure gauge = ? PSI
« on: July 14, 2011 - 11:21:35 AM »
Hey Guys,

Did a search and could not find an answer.

I have a 72 Challenger with the factory Rallye Dash. What is the equivalent psi per hash mark?

It has 4 hash marks each 1/4 way up the scale.

My pressure used to be "half way" but a recent oil change to Castrol GTX 20-50 made it drop to barely the first mark.

So was wondering if anyone knew the aprox dash pressure gauge to PSI equivalent.

FYI, I have always used 20-50 weight oil (don't recall what I had in it last year, any oil brand recommandions?) and a Mopar Performance shorty oil filter.

Cheers,
//Tom
"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Factory oil pressure gauge = ? PSI
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011 - 11:00:22 PM »
I believe the top line is approx 80 PSI / 1/2 would be 40 ish so you might be around 20 PSI
I recommend the Z -ALt oil , you could have a bad filter , I have experienced this in the past , I avoid Fram Filter , Mopar is usually fiine but everyone can have a bad day

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011 - 03:10:42 AM »
I agree , I think the factory guage was marked off for 80psi and I have seen filters cause this(not often tho) most filters have a bypass valve in them for when they get plugged up and a anti drain back system so filter doesn't empty itself everytime you shut off the engine. cheapest test is another brand filter and go get a mechanical oil guage to test your pressure with

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 1971Challenger

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011 - 09:17:57 AM »
Thanks for the info guys!

Been looking into oil's. Chryco - would you recommend switching to AMSOIL z-alt for a fairly stock older 360 /380hp crate? (no a solid lifter)

I always though but had reservation of switching to a synthetic. I do know if I have a small leak (and I do have oil dampness in the front of the intake/waterpump) it will make it worse.

Cheers,
T
"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car. "Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car. "Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence. "Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011 - 09:22:07 AM »
virtually none of the new oils SM spec are designed to protect older flat tappet engines properly so for a few $ I would say yes put in a good oil to protect the engine or you may be rebuilding it .Synthetic can leak past seals & gaskets , Z Alt may be a better alternative , some 20-50 oils are better but they will eat some HP pushing oil that thick

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t