Author Topic: How many times have yall changed what you wanted to do with your build?  (Read 3039 times)

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
Just curious. It seems the more I get into this thing, the more I want to do with it. Or do completely different. So how much do yall change your minds?
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline HP2

• Resident
Well, the delta between what Id' like to do and what I can actually afford to do and what I have time to do tends to create some changes at times.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
This is the fun part about having a car that isn't numbers matching. You change game plans as you go.   :grinyes:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline cudasteve72

Pretty sure I change my mind every day, usually back ane forth over the same things. I am sure no matter what I end up with once it is finally together thing will still change thats half the fun.
1972 Cuda Custom 70 clone  416 stroker 481/531 hp/
2006 Grand Cherokee SRT8 (daily)
1970 Challenger convertible 340 (Dad's)
1967 Dart gt slant six all original 40,000 miles driver but needs restoration (Brother's)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife's)

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
I had a first plan.  Then I had a second plan ,and about 250 after that.  Now I`m getting closer and it looks darn close to the second plan.
*** Bart ***

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
The best advice I have is to get a vague idea of what you want to do...resto, cruiser, rod, etc. Get firm on the big ticket items such as paint and motor/tranny as soon as you can. Brakes, wheels, trim and accessories are far less expensive to change your mind on.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
I ussualy have a good plan in my head and stick with it to the most part.  However some of the little detail change as the car starts to take shape.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
This is the fun part about having a car that isn't numbers matching. You change game plans as you go.   :grinyes:
:iagree:  when I first bought my car I was planning to chop off the entire front end and build a front clip for it, as I was convinced you couldn't make a Mopar go around corners. When it finally arrived at my door and I saw how rust free it all was I didn't have the heart to cut it up! It sort of evolved from there... :grinyes:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
Well, the main reason I ask is that I'm trying to get the thing running to where I can drive it. I have a pretty good idea of where I want to go with it. But the question that is coming to me now is this. I have to replace almost all the sheet metal on the back end. The only thing staying is the frame rails really. So, considering the fact that most cars and their owners over time decide to make the car stronger and faster, now seems like a good time tub it, since I can fabricate everything now. I'm seriously thinking about moving the frame rails way inward so I can put a serious rear end on it. Or at least do everything, but leave the trunk pan just plain sheet metal so I don't waste money on a trunk pan that will be cut. I don't know though. The car is so far from being done that I am completely open to any options right now. I realize it will cost a good bit more to do it this way, but I defnitely think it would be worth it.
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline AARCUDADEN

Well, the delta between what Id' like to do and what I can actually afford to do and what I have time to do tends to create some changes at times.
Yeap thats sounds just like me. I couldn't ever do what i really wanted to do to my Cuda simply because its an oringinal AAR. So a few years later i bought a 68 Coronet of a friend who raced it and was building another car at the time. I loved racing and still do but simply couldn't afford it anymore  :( So i traded the Coronet for my Dart Sport i currently own now with intentions of that would be my street - strip car. Its a 340 4speed factory moonroof and A/C car that just too damn nice to be cutting on  :banghead: So i now have my AAR Cuda and Dart Sport that are nothing more than weekend drivers  :pullinghair:  :smilielol:
Dennis,Ohio

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
Re: How many times have yall changed what you wanted to do with your build?
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011 - 06:50:41 PM »
Made up my mind on how I wanted the car...No changes. Stickin' to the original plan...Too many decision changes and before long, you've lost sense of what you want to do with the car all together. Then, it becomes yet another E-Bay project...
Set a goal and stick it through.
However, Building one of these cars requires a very flexible mind set when finding hidden surprises...
(The views expressed in this opinion are of only the original poster and reflect none what so ever on the populous at Cuda-Challenger.com)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011 - 06:53:37 PM by Cooter »
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011 - 08:35:11 PM »
We have had my wife's since 91, I think ..... and she has yet to stop.
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline Mentally Challenged

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011 - 10:29:58 PM »
I don't think there is enough fingers and toes on the whole forum, to count the times I have changed my plans with the car. Aarcudaden can tell ya, he has to listen to me all the time. I buy a bunch of stuff, change my mind. Sell it, then buy more for the next idea. Had 3 hoods for my car. Very nice rallye hood, bought a nice T/A hood, plus the six pack that came with the car. Sold all 3, now I am going back to a rallye only a fiberglass this time. Planning to put a tunnel ram up thru it, since I cant afford a blower motor.
Chris, Ohio

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011 - 11:39:25 PM »
I have a pretty concrete idea of what I will eventually get done to my car. Minor stuff will be tweaked, but the big stuff will remain the same. As far as which brand suspension, or which this or that when it comes time to getting the most for my dollar..that'll juggle, but the basic principle that "one or the other is going in" will remain.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011 - 07:30:31 AM »
Exterior appearance I haven't changed since 1986. Wanted a white e-body with a duck tail type spoiler  and a T/A type side stripe from day one.  But mechanically/interior something is changed almost every year.
 This site has a way of opening your eyes as to the different things that can be done to your car. Reading through the members restos - from tight budget builds to 'Twisted fish' the examples available to look at on this site are mind boggling.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.