Author Topic: loose mirror  (Read 1581 times)

Offline plumcrazy704406

loose mirror
« on: July 20, 2011 - 05:50:48 AM »
my 70' challenger's door mirror has become loose. It moves while driving in the air current. Is there a way of tightening it? Whats behind the actual mirror? I would hate to break the mirror to find out there is nothing there.

thx c-c
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
Re: loose mirror
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011 - 08:00:11 AM »
Mine too :popcorn:
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline Sean

• My Cuda Restore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011 - 12:02:14 PM »
Have you tried tightening the screws that hold the mirrors on from the exterior?  Also, there's two nuts set into the sheeetmetal of the door.  Is it possible that one or both of those crush nuts are loose?  On my 72 Cuda, there's no reinforcement behind where the mirrors mount on the door. 

Hope that helps.

Sean

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011 - 01:52:34 PM »
Those nuts are available new incase the original ones have loosened up.  There is no reinforcement in the door.  Try tighnening the outer screws first...obviously.

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011 - 02:08:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure there is something behind the glass if you tweak the mirror enough......
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline plumcrazy704406

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011 - 07:53:15 PM »
sorry for the confusion, maybe I wasn't clear on it. It's the actual mirror (that you adjust) that is loose, not the mount to the door.
This thought may not be politically correct, but is an opinion offered. It may be correct? or it may be wrong? It is not designed to appease those needing shelter from the real world.

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011 - 10:49:35 PM »
Have you cranked the mirror over to a side to see behind it?  I need to do this as well, but it's been so hot...
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline AARCuda340+6

• Resident
  • Southern Ontario
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011 - 01:33:40 AM »
My mirror on the passenger side fell out many years ago when the door shut too hard.  Stupid me, I just pushed it back in and on the way home along the highway it came out again.  I went back to look for it but never did find it.

If I remember correctly there is a stem right in the middle of the mirror frame and a plastic piece that fits into the hole.  The mirror has another plastic piece that clips into the other piece attached to the mirror case.  It had teeth so once the pieces were together it would be hard to get apart.
I lost all this stuff when my mirror fell out so I just put a screw in the hole and had a mirror cut to fit.  Then just glued it on with epoxy and it has never come loose.  Problem is I can't move it around so it's useless for backing up or checking my blind spot.

Maybe you could try and push some puddy into the stem to make it a bit more tight.
I'm sure someone else from the site has a better solution and I hope you can get it repaired.  Good luck!
You can call me RAY or RAYMOND or RAZOR or THE ZOR!
70 AAR Cuda
04 Rumble Bee

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011 - 02:35:35 AM »
if you take the mirror off the door and unscrew the base, there`s a screw inside that holds the remote mechanism and with that the glass in place... ( at least that`s what my memory is trying to tell me...  :clueless: )   could be that screw is loose
*** Bart ***