Author Topic: Challenger Door Panel Repair  (Read 4050 times)

Offline ghjedi

Challenger Door Panel Repair
« on: July 20, 2011 - 02:32:17 PM »
Hi,

I have a small roughly 1 inch tear at the edge of my rear door panel and I'm wondering if anyone here has experience using a filler to seal and fill-in the gap?   I should mention that my door panels are black and otherwise perfect, except for this tear.

Thanks!
1 of 1 1972 Challenger 440 4sp Convertible Blue GB2
2012 Challenger R/T Classic Blue Streak Pearlcoat

Offline usraptr

Re: Challenger Door Panel Repair
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011 - 03:38:35 PM »
 :popcorn:
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011 - 05:13:53 PM »
Is the panel cracked or is there just a deep scratch?  Is there a chunk missing?  There was a member who posted pictures of how he fixed his panels.  I think his name was Etek.  Look for his restoration thread in the projects section.  He used some sort of epoxy to attach a missing piece.  Hopefully your repair isn't in a very visable area.  You are never going to match the grain pattern perfectly.

If you end up having to refinish the panels, I've had great luck with SEM Adhesion Promoter and SEM Landau Black.

Offline ghjedi

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011 - 07:37:40 PM »
Is the panel cracked or is there just a deep scratch?  Is there a chunk missing?  There was a member who posted pictures of how he fixed his panels.  I think his name was Etek.  Look for his restoration thread in the projects section.  He used some sort of epoxy to attach a missing piece.  Hopefully your repair isn't in a very visable area.  You are never going to match the grain pattern perfectly.

If you end up having to refinish the panels, I've had great luck with SEM Adhesion Promoter and SEM Landau Black.

Hi, I have an actual rip in the panel edging-- not a scratch.  I think something like a black flexible putty of some kind would do the job. 

I'll check out the post you referenced and I'll try to get a photo posted soon to help clarify the problem.

Offline ghjedi

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011 - 11:45:20 PM »
Here is the photo I promised.  Because there is a fair bit of tension on the panel, simply using glue won't work.  I'm thinking a flexible filler would help cover the gap.

Other thoughts?

Offline joef89

• 74 Challenger RT
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011 - 05:09:14 AM »
i have the same problem

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011 - 08:12:00 AM »
Is that an original panel?  It looks glossier then a factory panel and the grain doesn't look right.  Maybe it's just the picture.  I thought the factory panels were thicker then that too.  It looks like the plastic is very thin in that area.

To tell you the truth, I don't think you are going to get that looking very good again.  I hope I'm wrong.  If that is a factory panel, it shouldn't be hard to find a replacement that's in decent shape.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011 - 02:29:43 PM »
Is that a rear convertible panel?  I used an epoxy called Magnum from an automotive PPG paint supplier in the past.  It worked on repairing the plastic grille of a 71 Challenger. 
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline ghjedi

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011 - 06:52:54 PM »
Is that an original panel?  It looks glossier then a factory panel and the grain doesn't look right.  Maybe it's just the picture.  I thought the factory panels were thicker then that too.  It looks like the plastic is very thin in that area.

To tell you the truth, I don't think you are going to get that looking very good again.  I hope I'm wrong.  If that is a factory panel, it shouldn't be hard to find a replacement that's in decent shape.  Sorry I can't be of more help.

No, it is not an original panel.  It's a reproduction rear convertible panel, as I couldn't find an original at a reasonable price.  The other side came out flawless, but this side is giving me a bit of trouble.

Offline ghjedi

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011 - 06:54:33 PM »
Is that a rear convertible panel?  I used an epoxy called Magnum from an automotive PPG paint supplier in the past.  It worked on repairing the plastic grille of a 71 Challenger.

Yes, it is the rear panel and thanks-- I'll try that.  I'm really hoping I can get away with a quick fix.

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011 - 11:02:06 PM »
I think you will be able to make it presentable.   I would try to fill the gap.  I would not glue it back together.  The panel is seeking the space for some reason.  Where the panel slips over the steel, that location can be bent.  I have had to make the steel radius more true and smooth.  I don't know what your skill level is.  You may know all this.  Good luck with your repair.
Tod
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline ghjedi

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011 - 03:13:05 PM »
I think you will be able to make it presentable.   I would try to fill the gap.  I would not glue it back together.  The panel is seeking the space for some reason.  Where the panel slips over the steel, that location can be bent.  I have had to make the steel radius more true and smooth.  I don't know what your skill level is.  You may know all this.  Good luck with your repair.
Tod

The skill level question is easy to answer: low   :biggrin:

I agree with you that the panel is seeking the extra space, so that's why I'm thinking gluing won't hold for long.  I'll try a filler of some sort and let folks know how it turns out.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011 - 04:52:34 PM »
 :iagree: I think your best bet will be to use a pliable (flexible) filler rather than trying to glue it back.  My front panels have the typical cracks at the top front, and I tried "stitching" them with a hot knife, but that particular area is under too much stress and they split after a couple days.  You're probably in worse shape since they are the earlier repros which seem to be made from a harder, less pliable material.  Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011 - 05:56:36 PM »
The Magnum is a filler.  It may not stay real flexible.  Maybe a product that is made to repair the bumpers on newer cars would work.  I would take the panel off of the car and put tape or something on  the back of the panel. Then you can put the panel back on and fill the crack.  This way the filler should not become attached to the car. Also with the panel mounted you will be able to fill the correct gap.  I think if you work with it, you will be able to at least have the panel better than it is.