Steering won't self-center

Author Topic: Steering won't self-center  (Read 4614 times)

Offline cwestra

Steering won't self-center
« on: July 24, 2011 - 09:37:23 AM »
I did a partial rebuild on my steering box earlier this year to repair a leak in one of the O-rings.  The area I worked on was where the steering shaft goes into it.  I only dug down far enough to replace the suspect O-ring and then put it back together.  Since completing this I noticed that the steering does not want to self-center.  I have tried adjusting the nut on the top to take up play but can't seem to get it to center as it did before the box work.  Any suggestions on what might be going on?  Did I somehow screw up the box when I put it back together?
Corey - in Northern Indiana

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Re: Steering won't self-center
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011 - 10:03:51 AM »
Check the caster on the front suspension alignment. You may just be noticing it more because you rebuilt the box  :wave:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011 - 10:43:36 AM »
I agree Caster set with the wheel alignment centers the steering using factory specs designed for bias ply tires will nto work with radials , max the caster setting

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cwestra

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011 - 10:47:44 AM »
Check the caster on the front suspension alignment. You may just be noticing it more because you rebuilt the box  :wave:
I thought the same thing after I drove it so I took it down and had the alignment done again.  The guy said it was pretty close but did make a few adjustments.  The caster he ended up with was 0.6° (left) and 0.9° (right).  Now, I'm assuming positive caster has the wheel trailing back (like the front wheels on a grocery cart being pushed).  The factory spec has a "preferred" setting of -1/16th which seems like pretty close to straight up and down.  The total acceptable range is 15/16 deg. to -3/8 deg.  If my settings are for more caster than the "preferred" amount then shouldn't I actually be seeing more of a tendency to self-center the wheel than one set up to the "preferred" value?

What do others have their caster set at?

Offline cwestra

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011 - 10:53:43 AM »
I agree Caster set with the wheel alignment centers the steering using factory specs designed for bias ply tires will nto work with radials , max the caster setting
How much caster can I go up to and what are the drawbacks to going higher, like more difficulty to turn the wheel?  Seeing that I am close to the max setting already (.6° and .9°), I'm guessing I wouldn't see much difference if I went to the max. of 15/16 deg. (.94°).

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011 - 10:56:35 AM »
if the adjustment would allow for it go as high as 3*
 the caa will be harder to turn but you won't feel it with power steering

Offline cwestra

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011 - 12:10:31 PM »
if the adjustment would allow for it go as high as 3*
 the caa will be harder to turn but you won't feel it with power steering
Agreed.  Thanks, CP.

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011 - 03:04:52 PM »
I am going to cure this same problem with the Hotchkiss UCAs sitting under my bench. Probably won't do them until she goes hibernating for the winter. You need to get to like 3 or 4º caster before you will see a big improvement. With stock UCAs you have to give up camber to get more caster. You could also use offset UCA bushings for a budget good fix.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline cwestra

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011 - 10:46:24 AM »
I am going to cure this same problem with the Hotchkiss UCAs sitting under my bench. Probably won't do them until she goes hibernating for the winter. You need to get to like 3 or 4º caster before you will see a big improvement. With stock UCAs you have to give up camber to get more caster. You could also use offset UCA bushings for a budget good fix.
Thanks.  I assume you experienced the same problem with your E-body then, right?  Do you know if the trade-off in camber in order to reach 3° caster with stock components would be enough to cause wear my tires? 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011 - 12:29:12 PM »
adding castor will not cause tire wear alone , but if you change camber it can wear the inner or outer edge of the tire down

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011 - 09:33:51 PM »
cwestra - basically my car is new from all the work done restoring it. The steering right now takes away a lot as this car is really quick off the mark and extremely fast on the highway (nearly 130mph in 3rd, Passon OD) but it has to be steered almost to the point you fatigue steering it. Caster is coming maybe sooner than later. And I will reduce the pump relief valve spring pressure as well down to about the 850psi mark. Will do pump first and post results asap.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline Skunkworks Challenger

• Mopars forever!
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011 - 09:49:36 PM »
Just as an observer, it appears to me that a lot of the caster problems (negative caster) I'm hearing about  is caused by or made worse due to raising the rear end higher than stock. A nice rake looks good but can wipe out positive caster.  PK
The Brewmaster

Offline cwestra

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011 - 04:03:02 AM »
Just as an observer, it appears to me that a lot of the caster problems (negative caster) I'm hearing about  is caused by or made worse due to raising the rear end higher than stock. A nice rake looks good but can wipe out positive caster.  PK
That may help explain the handling condition I have on my car since it came out of the factory with the rear end raised an extra 1.50".  But I am having trouble visualizing how raising the car in the rear would affect caster negatively.

Offline UKcuda

• Tell them I'm on my way
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011 - 04:30:51 AM »
That may help explain the handling condition I have on my car since it came out of the factory with the rear end raised an extra 1.50".  But I am having trouble visualizing how raising the car in the rear would affect caster negatively.

I think the caster is not like on a shopping trolley, it's the other way round, like on a motorcycle.

But I would also still suspect your steering box since that is the only thing you played with to start this problem.  If you remember my steering box had been assembled wrongly by some previous owner and it caused it to have no return to center.  The reaction spring and ring had been installed the wrong way round:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=74593.msg766509#msg766509
'72 'cuda

Offline cwestra

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011 - 09:11:21 AM »
I think the caster is not like on a shopping trolley, it's the other way round, like on a motorcycle.

But I would also still suspect your steering box since that is the only thing you played with to start this problem.  If you remember my steering box had been assembled wrongly by some previous owner and it caused it to have no return to center.  The reaction spring and ring had been installed the wrong way round:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=74593.msg766509#msg766509
Good point, UK.  I'll look into that. Thank you.