Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a good dash pad rebuilder?  (Read 2184 times)

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
Can anyone recommend a good dash pad rebuilder?
« on: July 27, 2011 - 01:48:53 PM »
Sorry if this is a well hashed over subject but I am a newbie to this site and not that great with the search feature.

I am looking to get my dash pad rebuilt on my 71 'Cuda.(black dash, factory air, non-ralley gauges, single speaker grill)  I have the big crack down the middle of the pad just like every other 40 year old dash pad I have seen.  Has anyone had any good luck with Just Dashes or with dashboardrestorations.com?  I sent Dash board restorations an email a week ago and have not heard anything back.

How do they handle the VIN number plate?  Do you get your same dash pad back or do they send you a random overhauled one?  How long does it take?  How much does it cost? 

I have also looked at dash pad caps.  How hard is it to do myself?  Please keep in mind that I am a nuts and bolts kind of guy and not an arts and crafts guy.  I just don't have the talent or patience for waiting on paint or glue to dry but I am willing to give it a try if it is simple enough.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011 - 02:12:08 PM by TinCuda »
(O O [             SRT ] O O)
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6
2008 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi
2015 Chrysler 200c AWD 3.6L
2000 Yamaha V-Max
Doing my part to leave a big carbon footprint!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-09-05

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
Re: Can anyone recommend a good dash pad rebuilder?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011 - 04:50:13 PM »
you have mail.
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011 - 07:01:23 PM »
Sorry if this is a well hashed over subject but I am a newbie to this site and not that great with the search feature.

I am looking to get my dash pad rebuilt on my 71 'Cuda.(black dash, factory air, non-ralley gauges, single speaker grill)  I have the big crack down the middle of the pad just like every other 40 year old dash pad I have seen.  Has anyone had any good luck with Just Dashes or with dashboardrestorations.com?  I sent Dash board restorations an email a week ago and have not heard anything back.

How do they handle the VIN number plate?  Do you get your same dash pad back or do they send you a random overhauled one?  How long does it take?  How much does it cost? 

I have also looked at dash pad caps.  How hard is it to do myself?  Please keep in mind that I am a nuts and bolts kind of guy and not an arts and crafts guy.  I just don't have the talent or patience for waiting on paint or glue to dry but I am willing to give it a try if it is simple enough.

I'm just installing one now from Dave at Roseville! Quality is pretty good, or as good as we have available at the moment.
I left my dash in and it was no big deal, just nuts and bolts.... remove the gauge cluster, glovebox, and ash tray. It's all pretty clear when you get those things outta the way.
As for the vin tag , you remove it off your pad . Grind the rivits from the backside, it just falls off and you don't damage it that way.
I repainted my vin tag and got the Chrysler decal and proper rivits from ECS
http://ecsautomotive.com/index.php
Don't waste your money on the caps.....I hear they warp in the sun. Make sure you get a pad with a steel core for the same reason.  :2cents:

Good luck! Shout if you need anything!  :wave:
Brad
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011 - 07:03:27 PM by brads70 »
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011 - 09:36:20 PM »
Sent my dash to Just-dashes via UPS.
The groove across the dash is not the same dept as original. Didn't notice it until i looked at other dashes...
They do dashes in groups of year and model.
So if they are doing Challenger dash and u have a Cuda dash u will wait for 6 weeks......
So call and ask when your model and style is being processed.
Pack it secure in a carton and insure it........
 :iagree: with Brad70 get a steel core. I got my original dash back from Justdashes.
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011 - 12:50:09 PM »
I have also looked at dash pad caps.  How hard is it to do myself? 
I bought one of those caps a few years ago, accuform I believe. It actually looked pretty good until I took the car outside. Then the sun warped it - like it would bulge up a couple inches on either side of the centre speaker! A couple weels later it was cracked by the defrost vents. IMO, don't waste your money on caps.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011 - 02:31:10 PM »
I have a cap. Followed the process that Mopar Muscle did in their article...same glue, filler, etc. 2 years and counting with no issues. I'm not ecstatic with it, but it'll do...
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.