Author Topic: anyone have a picture of the non-rallye mini tachometer.  (Read 8817 times)

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
Re: anyone have a picture of the non-rallye mini tachometer.
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014 - 09:31:48 AM »
Just to clarify, if I want the tach where the blank is I do NOT need to modify the backing plate of the guages and can easily install it myself. If I want the tach beside the speedo I need to modify the backing plate.

You are correct.  Redline said just send in your blank plate and they will make you a tach and send it back for you to install.  It looks like a fairly simple job.

Offline 74 challenge

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014 - 03:07:34 PM »
perfect thanks! I might make this a winter project!
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014 - 11:48:53 AM »
I was just like you moparman82, dead set on custom gauges from Auto Meter until the $2k plus amount which I would rather spend on SO MANY other things.  Plus I like the look of the original gauge cluster, and am planning to upgrade my light bar bulbs (learned that an 1816 bulb is brighter but still safe from another thread). After talking to Redline again to get clarity on what I want done, I learned some things.  The fuel, temp, and alt meter gauges can be easily swapped as they have the same configuration on the back of the gauges.  The challenge comes in when you want to put the tach in place of one of those gauges without hacking in to the back metal enclosure.  Redline can do this for an extra $50 on top of the price of the gauge ($195).  Since I really want the tach next to the speedo I am willing to pay the extra money, but I am not set on the oil pressure having to be next to the tach so I am just going to have them install the oil pressure in place of the blank plate for just the cost of the gauge.  While they are at it, I thought it would be worth it to rebuild and calibrate the speedo since old rubber bushings and 43 year old grease are probably worn and my speedo was not too accurate (+- 5-7 mph).  I also wanted them to reset my odometer to 0's since I am completely replacing the engine, suspension, and rebuilt the rear and tranny - so going forward I know how many miles I have on it with the new engine, etc.

They quoted me $610 to install the tach next to the speedo, move the fuel to replace the alt meter, install the oil pressure gauge in place of the blank plate (includes sending unit), rebuild/calibrate my speedo , reset the odometer, and clean/polish the plastic lens (they do not have new lenses).

You absolutely can install the tach or oil pressure gauge yourself.  Redline said to just send them your blank plate and they custom build the gauge to fit since they do not stock them.  If you want the tach/oil pressure next to the speedo you need to either hack into the metal backing or have the skills to reconfigure the wiring in the back which I do not.

Finally installed my restored gauges from Redline.  To recap they calibrated the speedo, reset the odometer since I'm doing a restoration, polished the lens, installed the non-rallye tach and oil pressure gauge, and moved the fuel gauge to the Alt meter spot.

Old gauges 

New restored gauges 

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014 - 11:51:26 AM »
Here is one in the delete section

1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline dpcd67

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014 - 03:47:13 PM »
I had one of the $200 ones but the face lifted off; I do not know the maker.  I sent it back, and made this one for less than $20. Take your old plastic blank insert and glue in a cheap tach; it works.
1963 Dodge M37 (3)
1967 Dodge WM300 (2)
1971 Plymouth Duster
Bought new in '71; I wanted the Challenger but they were $2850; too much $ so I got the 318, 3 speed on the floor, Twister Duster for $2100.
1973 Plymouth Barracuda
I ain't done yet.

Offline crash340

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2014 - 08:23:34 PM »
Here is one just got it. It looks good! :ylsuper:

Edl94, where did you buy that Tac from, I like it over the Redline as it has the 100RPM lines rather than just the 500/1000 lines

Greg
Greg

73 Cuda
Brisbane, Australia

Offline jordan

• no replacement for displacement
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014 - 09:41:57 PM »
Redline rebuilt my cluster.  Speedo was refaced, calibrated, zeroed,  and greased. Temp gauge was calibrated, and rescreened with actual numbers in addition to just H and C.  The amp meter was converted to a volt meter.  And I had the oil pressure gauge added where my clock was.   I added a 3.5 inch Sun Tach to my column so I can still see my "stock" gauges and have an old skool look.  Everything works fine. 

Is my original clock worth anything?  I just have it in a box now doing nothing.  Cody makes it sound a bit rare. 

I purchased the tach that fits in the clock hole, but decided it was better to have the oil pressure up high where I could see it, and add the column tach next to it.  Now I have lots of info up high instead of having to look down to see extra gauges. 
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Offline crash340

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2014 - 09:50:02 PM »
Thanks Jordan,

I have a spare dash to play with and sending it to Redline is not an option  :aussie:, Im going to move the fuel gauge out to the far right, put a Redlien oil gauge next, then the temp gauge, Im ditching the Amp/volt gauge option and will simply run a charge light like a modern car.
Greg

73 Cuda
Brisbane, Australia

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2014 - 02:17:29 AM »
I had one of the $200 ones but the face lifted off; I do not know the maker.  I sent it back, and made this one for less than $20. Take your old plastic blank insert and glue in a cheap tach; it works.

That's what I did. I also converted my busted ammeter to a voltmeter. When I re face the gauges, I'll use the voltmeter face and modify it, copy in onto a sticker and apply it to the new voltmeter, clock the needle and done.

Offline crash340

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014 - 05:03:09 AM »
Thanks CHL2T,
What Diam and make is that replacement Tach gauge please, the one in teh second photo
Greg

73 Cuda
Brisbane, Australia

Offline CHL2T

• Handle it, man!
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2014 - 08:55:48 PM »
Thanks CHL2T,
What Diam and make is that replacement Tach gauge please, the one in teh second photo

The make is Equis that I bought from oreilly years ago, I'm pretty sure they still carry them. Or you can get em at summit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/equ-6086?seid=srese1&gclid=CP6_yPzyqsECFStgMgodETYAEA

To get it to fit, I used a hacksaw to cut the face off of it about a quarter inch down or just below the actual face. Then I used a 2 1/8 hole saw centered on the blank which is just big enough to slip the plastic face of the tach through yet still leave the original white circle. Some orange paint will take care of the needle. To snug it up in the blank, I wrapped aluminum foil tape around the housing until it fit. I'll glue it in there before final installation.