Author Topic: anyone have a picture of the non-rallye mini tachometer.  (Read 8820 times)

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
anyone have a picture of the non-rallye mini tachometer.
« on: July 30, 2011 - 08:41:41 PM »
I have seen these for sale at year one and other places.   I have never seen one in a real car.   My non-rallye instrument panel has a blank in the far right position.   By looking at the pictures of the tachometer in catalogues,  the panel support looks tailor made to go in the far right slot.   Where these a factory option or a gee whiz after market thing?   All I have ever seen there is a clock.   I think it would look great but any pictures would be helpful.

Thanks,

(O O [             SRT ] O O)
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6
2008 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi
2015 Chrysler 200c AWD 3.6L
2000 Yamaha V-Max
Doing my part to leave a big carbon footprint!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-09-05

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
Re: anyone have a picture of the non-rallye mini tachometer.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011 - 05:13:42 PM »
 :iagree:

Clock or nothing is what you got factory.... and most got nothing.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011 - 09:45:16 PM »
Not sure, but I think he's talking about this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150411725946&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Never seen one installed, though.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011 - 12:55:00 AM »
Not sure, but I think he's talking about this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150411725946&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Never seen one installed, though.

Yeah, that is the one exactly.

I think it would look kind of cool in place of my blank

(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2000 Yamaha V-Max
Shot at 2012-09-05

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011 - 03:45:40 PM »
A clock on the far right was a rare option, there was never a tach in non-Rally gauge cars.

If you have a blank space on the right, I would sure go for the after market tack.   :grinyes:

I don't have any picture to post, but here is one source of the tach..

http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dtach%2BE-body%26b%3D22%26ni%3D21%26ei%3DUTF-8%26xargs%3D0%26pstart%3D1%26fr2%3Dtab-web&w=108&h=108&imgurl=www.redlinegaugeworks.com%2Fimages%2Ferally.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.redlinegaugeworks.com%2Fproducts.asp&size=9KB&name=...+in+both+barr...&p=tach+E-body&oid=79f8366732474b2e515a4e6775d2eaef&fr2=tab-web&no=38&tt=59&b=22&ni=21&sigr=11dpbh2ve&sigi=11bfn6s7b&sigb=13bhfb8fc&.crumb=.iGJKR/YuXt

Good info here.

I didn't see the oil pressure guage before.  That might be a better way to go.  I could get that old aftermaket one off from under my dash and put one in a place where it looks like it might belong. (I would look factory if you did not know any better)
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2000 Yamaha V-Max
Shot at 2012-09-05

Offline edl94

• She Cuda
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011 - 08:40:36 PM »
Here is one just got it. It looks good! :ylsuper:

Offline Fern

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011 - 10:07:10 PM »
Where did you buy the tach?

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011 - 10:54:36 PM »
Gauges are available at redline gauge works http://www.redlinegaugeworks.com/prodebody.asp

They do tachos and oil pressure gauges
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline 74challenger03

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011 - 10:21:34 PM »
i think i would get the oil pressure gauge. $195 is a bit high
What does it profit a man to gain the whole would and lose his soul.

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014 - 02:38:54 PM »
I like the oil pressure and tach and kind of think the alternator gauge is worthless.  However, as many of you know there is a metal casing on the back of the gauges for the speedo, fuel and alt which is preventing me from moving the gauge configuration around.  I called redline to order the tach but started explaining my dilemma and found out two things.  For the tach and/or oil pressure gauge, they require you to send in the blank plate and the custom make the gauge to fit as they do not stock these gauges.  The turn around time is 3 days once they receive your plate.  Also, if you send them your entire gauge set up, they will configure the gauges however you want and put on new lenses while they are at it.  I was thinking of doing speedo, tach, temp, then fuel.  I will post a pic when I get the gauges back.

Offline moparman82

• MOPAR or No car
  • Resident
  • Livin' the dream
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014 - 03:17:54 PM »
 :popcorn:  I've been lurking around their site ever since I found out the custom gauge cluster I wanted was gonna cost almost $2k lol can't wait too see it, they quote you a $$?
Scott in Omaha
Searching for the right 70 Cuda driver
1973 challenger in go-mango, on it's way to a 70 T/A clone SOLD
2015 crew cab Hemi ram SOLD
2019 Ram Laramie
2016 Tahoe LTZ SOLD
1976 Ramcharger 383 4spd SOLD
2016 Audi

24 mopars past and 2 present

Offline 74 challenge

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014 - 10:16:59 AM »
I like the oil pressure and tach and kind of think the alternator gauge is worthless.  However, as many of you know there is a metal casing on the back of the gauges for the speedo, fuel and alt which is preventing me from moving the gauge configuration around.  I called redline to order the tach but started explaining my dilemma and found out two things.  For the tach and/or oil pressure gauge, they require you to send in the blank plate and the custom make the gauge to fit as they do not stock these gauges.  The turn around time is 3 days once they receive your plate.  Also, if you send them your entire gauge set up, they will configure the gauges however you want and put on new lenses while they are at it.  I was thinking of doing speedo, tach, temp, then fuel.  I will post a pic when I get the gauges back.

could you elaborate a bit more on why you can't install the tach yourself? This is something I am very interested in.
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014 - 12:22:23 PM »
I was just like you moparman82, dead set on custom gauges from Auto Meter until the $2k plus amount which I would rather spend on SO MANY other things.  Plus I like the look of the original gauge cluster, and am planning to upgrade my light bar bulbs (learned that an 1816 bulb is brighter but still safe from another thread). After talking to Redline again to get clarity on what I want done, I learned some things.  The fuel, temp, and alt meter gauges can be easily swapped as they have the same configuration on the back of the gauges.  The challenge comes in when you want to put the tach in place of one of those gauges without hacking in to the back metal enclosure.  Redline can do this for an extra $50 on top of the price of the gauge ($195).  Since I really want the tach next to the speedo I am willing to pay the extra money, but I am not set on the oil pressure having to be next to the tach so I am just going to have them install the oil pressure in place of the blank plate for just the cost of the gauge.  While they are at it, I thought it would be worth it to rebuild and calibrate the speedo since old rubber bushings and 43 year old grease are probably worn and my speedo was not too accurate (+- 5-7 mph).  I also wanted them to reset my odometer to 0's since I am completely replacing the engine, suspension, and rebuilt the rear and tranny - so going forward I know how many miles I have on it with the new engine, etc.

They quoted me $610 to install the tach next to the speedo, move the fuel to replace the alt meter, install the oil pressure gauge in place of the blank plate (includes sending unit), rebuild/calibrate my speedo , reset the odometer, and clean/polish the plastic lens (they do not have new lenses).

:popcorn: can't wait too see it, they quote you a $$?

You absolutely can install the tach or oil pressure gauge yourself.  Redline said to just send them your blank plate and they custom build the gauge to fit since they do not stock them.  If you want the tach/oil pressure next to the speedo you need to either hack into the metal backing or have the skills to reconfigure the wiring in the back which I do not.

could you elaborate a bit more on why you can't install the tach yourself? This is something I am very interested in.

Offline 74 challenge

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014 - 09:00:19 AM »
I was just like you moparman82, dead set on custom gauges from Auto Meter until the $2k plus amount which I would rather spend on SO MANY other things.  Plus I like the look of the original gauge cluster, and am planning to upgrade my light bar bulbs (learned that an 1816 bulb is brighter but still safe from another thread). After talking to Redline again to get clarity on what I want done, I learned some things.  The fuel, temp, and alt meter gauges can be easily swapped as they have the same configuration on the back of the gauges.  The challenge comes in when you want to put the tach in place of one of those gauges without hacking in to the back metal enclosure.  Redline can do this for an extra $50 on top of the price of the gauge ($195).  Since I really want the tach next to the speedo I am willing to pay the extra money, but I am not set on the oil pressure having to be next to the tach so I am just going to have them install the oil pressure in place of the blank plate for just the cost of the gauge.  While they are at it, I thought it would be worth it to rebuild and calibrate the speedo since old rubber bushings and 43 year old grease are probably worn and my speedo was not too accurate (+- 5-7 mph).  I also wanted them to reset my odometer to 0's since I am completely replacing the engine, suspension, and rebuilt the rear and tranny - so going forward I know how many miles I have on it with the new engine, etc.

They quoted me $610 to install the tach next to the speedo, move the fuel to replace the alt meter, install the oil pressure gauge in place of the blank plate (includes sending unit), rebuild/calibrate my speedo , reset the odometer, and clean/polish the plastic lens (they do not have new lenses).

You absolutely can install the tach or oil pressure gauge yourself.  Redline said to just send them your blank plate and they custom build the gauge to fit since they do not stock them.  If you want the tach/oil pressure next to the speedo you need to either hack into the metal backing or have the skills to reconfigure the wiring in the back which I do not.

Just to clarify, if I want the tach where the blank is I do NOT need to modify the backing plate of the guages and can easily install it myself. If I want the tach beside the speedo I need to modify the backing plate.
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2