Author Topic: Are your E-Body a whisler?  (Read 4164 times)

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
Are your E-Body a whisler?
« on: July 31, 2011 - 08:12:27 PM »
My Cuda has always had a whisltle to it when I reach cruising speed, It's pretty loud, and you can hear the whisle when I drive by. Does anybody else have this problem? I think it might be from some windowtrim or panel gap, but I really have no clue where the whistle is created.. any suggestions?
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline gkring

Re: Are your E-Body a whisler?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011 - 11:55:15 PM »
Masking tape over the window seals and front windshield trim. This will seal the air leaks, then you can drive around taping different areas and when the noise goes away you know what area to work on. Most likely a weatherstrip leak somewhere. Turbo charge it and you get a different type of whistle!
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011 - 12:26:41 AM »
I've got a vaccume leak when the engine gets up to temperature , that sort of sounds like a whistle!  :bigsmile:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Morris'_Mopars

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011 - 12:41:48 AM »
Whistle while you work :burnout:
Morris' Mopars LLC
Raymond, Illinois
Mopar performance at affordable prices.

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011 - 07:01:59 AM »
Turbo charge it and you get a different type of whistle!
I've got an Audi 200 Avant 2.2 20v Turbo Quattro as a DD. If you are familiar with these cars you know it's a beast. It's as fast or maybe faster than my Cuda. It's a real factory sleeper. Especially since it's a wagon. I don't mind the whistle in that!  :grinyes:

Anyway, just tought I should hear around if the whistle was a E-body thing or if it was just my car. Guess I have to bring out the tape! Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011 - 07:20:55 PM »
Yes.....I am an E body whistler. If I see a nice E-body (or any nice Mopar) drive by, I tend to whistle at it and give the thumbs up! So yes indeed I am an E body whistler!!  :roflsmiley: :smilielol: :roflsmiley: Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Matt B.
Matt

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011 - 07:45:24 PM »
No whistles here,  I agree on the blue masking tape idea.

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011 - 10:10:59 PM »
Yes.....I am an E body whistler. If I see a nice E-body (or any nice Mopar) drive by, I tend to whistle at it and give the thumbs up! So yes indeed I am an E body whistler!!  :roflsmiley: :smilielol: :roflsmiley: Sorry, I couldn't help it.

Matt B.
Man i think you've got issues  :screwy:  :roflsmiley: J/K with ya Matt  :bigsmile:
Dennis,Ohio

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011 - 10:31:14 PM »
Well since you mentioned it.........way back in the day, actually back n 1971, I had a friend that bought a cuda.  I  would see him drive by the house..........55 was the speed limit there............and she would always be whistling.  I  always thought it was the radio antenna.............To this day, I don't know for sure.......

Why don't you remove the antenna and try at speed.   Could be as simple as that.........
Dave or David

Offline footin70rt

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011 - 01:50:41 AM »
My Challenger has a whistle too that is very noticeable at a steady cruise of about 45mph. Haven't tried to hard to find it since it goes away (or I can't hear it) above 55. So I guess that make me about worthless as far as help goes.  :bigsmile: 
Thomas
Driving the same 70 R/T since October 1985
Native of Bozeman, MT

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011 - 09:06:05 AM »
Well since you mentioned it.........way back in the day, actually back n 1971, I had a friend that bought a cuda.  I  would see him drive by the house..........55 was the speed limit there............and she would always be whistling.  I  always thought it was the radio antenna.............To this day, I don't know for sure.......

Why don't you remove the antenna and try at speed.   Could be as simple as that.........
I don't have a antenna, at least not on the fenders. It's windowmounted.

Offline polarbear123

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011 - 10:33:44 AM »
My Cuda has a whistle too funny thing it didn't have one until I had the motor rebuilt.

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011 - 01:16:33 PM »
My Chally has a whistle. I'm pretty sure it's the driver's side mirror.

Offline mcgheejt

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011 - 09:26:13 PM »
Yep, mine too has a whistle that eventually goes away at higher speeds.  It's on the drivers side and could be the mirror. 

Offline Aracer

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011 - 09:32:17 PM »
Use masking tape over the suspected area of the window molding, in order to eliminate possibilities. Use modeling clay for a temp. fix. Use forced air in the shop to duplicate noise.