Subframe Connectors

Author Topic: Subframe Connectors  (Read 7758 times)

Offline Beck

• BECK KUSTOMS
Subframe Connectors
« on: August 08, 2011 - 06:05:45 PM »
Hey,
I've had a few people ask about the subframe connectors I put in my car, so I thought I'd put together a thread on how I did them.

I used 75x50x3mm RHS for the bars. The final length of the fitted bars was 1050mm, I guess you'd add two inches for a challenger?

Because the rear chassis rails are narrower than the RHS I reduced the width of the end of the bars by grinding a 5mm gap 170mm long along the top and bottom. I clamped 120mm of the bar in a vice to reduce that amount to the required width of 45mm leaving 50mm of the gap to form a taper. I beveled the edges to allow a full penetration weld.

I used a 250amp MIG on max to get full penetration and maximum strength. This meant I had to do short beads or you'd blow big holes.

The welds were ground smooth.

Because E body rear chassis rails aren't parallel with the body, an angle was needed to the end that was to slide into the rails. 170mm of the end of the bar was bent at 5°. The same procedure for reducing the width of the bar was followed.

The finished bar. The inside was rustproofed.

For the torsion bar crossmember plate I designed a piece that would also gusset the torsion bar anchor. This design matches the holes in the crossmember of a 72-74 E body, I believe earlier cars only had one aperture on each side for fuel and brake lines, and this hole would be covered by this design.

I had access to a computer controlled plasma cutter, so I cut the plates out on that. I used 3mm steel.

The finished connector. The crossmember plate was tacked to the bar with everything mocked up in the car, then removed and welded solid.

One of the holes cut in the floor to allow the bar to slide into the rear chassis rail.

The rear chassis rail was opened up, drilled for plug welds, and rust proofed.

The bars welded in. First I welded up the plug welds at either end, then I stitched the floor to the bars in short steps, moving around the bars to allow areas to cool and prevent warping.

The floors were welded on from top and bottom. A rotisserie sure made this easier!

The welded up crossmember plate, note the gusseted torsion bar anchor, like the Trans Am race cars had.

There you have it! Please feel free to ask any questions.
I'm no expert by any means, but I did a lot of research into these things before I proceeded, and feel the result should be about as effective as possible!
Cheers,
Aaron
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011 - 08:32:16 PM by aaron beck »

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
Re: Subframe Connectors
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011 - 06:20:04 PM »
Very nice!  Wish I had done something like this on my car.

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011 - 09:17:28 PM »
Looks Good Aaron!
I did mine the same way, but your welding skills look better  than mine!
To my way of thinking that has to be far stronger than the type that only attaches at either end of the frame connector.
 :cheers:
Scott
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline 71gogreen

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011 - 09:48:47 PM »
Beautiful welding,you must be a welder professionally. I have a convert. just not sure if I,am willing to modify the car when I get ready to restore. thanks for the info, :smokin:
71challenger-millcreek park\71challenger-millcreek

Offline shawge

• Zoiks!!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011 - 12:48:11 AM »
Nice job and an excellent write up!  Thanks for sharing.
- Jerry

Offline lemming303

• San Antonio, TX
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011 - 09:06:21 PM »
One question. Where it goes into your floor, does that affect where the seats will mount?
Kevin

73 Challenger Rallye - first project

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011 - 10:03:04 PM »
Awesome post. I will absolutely be making my own,and appreciate you taking the time to put this together!  :drunk: :bigshades:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011 - 07:42:05 AM »
 :2thumbs:  Excellent post, I would like to do similar but was worried about the protrusion into the floor area in the rear, have you any pic's with carpet fitted? I have my grand children in the rear and don't want any bulges that might trip them. I suppose extra sound deadening might over come this. I especially like the front bracket attachment, certainly spreads the load.   :working:
Dave

Offline Beck

• BECK KUSTOMS
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011 - 04:04:10 PM »
Cheers!
Looking forward to seeing the difference on the road.

With regards to the protrusion of the bars into the interior:
They don't affect seat mounting, but will affect how the carpet in the rear foot well sits.

Here you can see how much they come through the floor.
If having a flat rear floor is important then you could put some high density foam on either side, but that would affect
how the carpet sits over the tunnel.

I can lay the carpet down as is and take a photo to show how it sits if you'd like?

:cheers:

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011 - 10:17:30 PM »
:2thumbs:  Excellent post, I would like to do similar but was worried about the protrusion into the floor area in the rear, have you any pic's with carpet fitted? I have my grand children in the rear and don't want any bulges that might trip them. I suppose extra sound deadening might over come this. I especially like the front bracket attachment, certainly spreads the load.   :working:

With all the sand boxes, bicycles, monkey bars, and play grounds they'll come across, I doubt a 2" hump in the already confined area in the back of a Challenger will be an issue!  :dogpile:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011 - 11:44:00 PM »
I do agree with you Goody but with little feet you do need to be careful, they range from 18 months, 4, 7, 10, 12 & 16 yo's.   :bigsmile:
Dave

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011 - 10:48:24 AM »
This is awesome. I will hopefully get around to this one of these years.  :icon16:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011 - 11:16:00 AM »
When I was doing my subframe connectors David at Roseville pointed out that the ebrake cable goes right where the subframe connectors are.  So instead of losing the ebrake I came up with a solution.....

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=69602.msg712766#msg712766

Also, this way the subframes look completely factory.  100% home made and EBRAKE FRIENDLY!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011 - 11:18:30 AM by C O D Y »
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Beck

• BECK KUSTOMS
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011 - 07:34:30 PM »
Here's how the carpet looks laid over the subframe connectors:

It fits better than I thought it would, and would look stock with all the other interior parts fitted.

Regarding the parking brake, I was never a fan of the lame factory foot brake so here was my solution to the subframe connectors clashing with the underslung cables:

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011 - 10:23:36 PM »
Thanks for the pic's.   :2thumbs:
Dave