Author Topic: SE overhead console problem  (Read 7833 times)

Offline Matt70

SE overhead console problem
« on: August 11, 2011 - 08:14:07 PM »
My overhead console lights are being weird. They have not worked since I got the car. I pulled the console light panel and started checking them out to see if I could find the issue. Well just pulling the bulbs and putting them back in got it working.

Problem- With key out and door open "door ajar" and "seat belt" lights stay on. Is this normal?

When I open the door both "door ajar" and "seat belt" light come on. I'm pretty sure that is not supposed to happen.
The lights do go off when door is closed after 20 seconds, should it take that long I would think the "door ajar" would be instant?

Any help would be appreciated thanks,  Matt
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: SE overhead console problem
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011 - 08:21:19 PM »
sounds right but my car is not close to check , the door switch is delayed I believe , I can't remember where the seatbelt switch is though

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Matt70

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011 - 08:35:13 PM »
Great thanks Chryco, should they have power with the key out and door open? That seemed odd.  Thanks,  Matt
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011 - 10:19:27 PM »
they definatly bypass the key circuit .

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Matt70

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011 - 08:22:48 AM »
Cool thanks!   :2thumbs:

George Orwell

Offline 70 383 SE

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011 - 02:52:19 PM »
My car is still in the trailer but when I get time I will check it out and let you know.  :2thumbs:  :bigsmile:
70 383 SE Chally,2010 Chevy Silerado LTZ 4x4 crew-cab ,wifes car 2010 Honda Accord coupe......need to save gas somewhere.....hehehe

Offline Matt70

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011 - 03:25:58 PM »
Thanks, I worry they stay on so long w/ key out and door open, those lights get very hot and I'm afraid it will melt the console lens. Are there any modern bulbs that don't generate so much heat?   :clueless:  Thanks for the help

George Orwell

Offline Giveitawack

• ebay
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011 - 02:14:43 AM »
Thanks, I worry they stay on so long w/ key out and door open, those lights get very hot and I'm afraid it will melt the console lens. Are there any modern bulbs that don't generate so much heat?
Heat is surely a problem. I have seen burned lenses. LEDs are great for the overhead console. They use almost all of the energy for the light. The LEDs I have bought have one problem, though. There is a plastic collar that is too big for the tubes.
Has anyone seen LED bulbs without this collar?

Offline Matt70

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011 - 08:19:40 AM »
What do you do file down the edges of the bulb?

George Orwell

Offline Giveitawack

• ebay
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011 - 11:59:36 AM »
I have tried to grind the edge but it is easy to damage the bulb. I am still looking for a LED that fits the tubes.

Offline sublime r/t se

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011 - 01:27:57 AM »
sounds right but my car is not close to check , the door switch is delayed I believe , I can't remember where the seatbelt switch is though
When Got my SE, none of the overhead console lamps worked.  The door ajar (DA) and seat belt (SB) lamps are independent of each other.  If they are both on at the same time, they are just bridged.   

The SB lamp is controlled by a timer device and will shut off after 20-30 seconds after the last door is closed.  There is nothing to do with the belts being fastened (ie: a switch controlled by a retractor or buckle) that controls the SB lamp, purely a timer.  One of the terminals of the dome lamp pin switch in each door jamb controls the SB lamp.

The DA lamp is controlled by a separate pin switch in the trailing edge of the door jamb.  I had to replace mine and keeping these adjusted is a pain in the arse.  If not adjusted right, the DA lamp will stay lit.   The wiring on the switches then run up to the console and apply ground for the lamp.  It sounds like it would be these switches and the wiring that need to be attended-to to get the DA lamp to work appropriately.

I dont know if your low fuel lamp works or not.  Mine didn't .  I had to get a new relay and once installed, the low fuel lamp worked perfect.
1970 Challenger R/T  SE
1969 Roadrunner Convertible
2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
2001 Ford Mustang GT Convertible

Offline Matt70

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011 - 09:42:46 AM »
sublime r/t se, thanks for the info. No my low fuel light does not work. Where is that relay located? Also where did you get the replacement? Have you had heat issues with these bulbs staying on so long? Do you know where to find LED replacements? Wow that's a lot of questions   :smilielol:    Thanks,  Matt

George Orwell

Offline Slotts

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011 - 12:21:50 PM »
Hey Matt,

I might have a low fuel relay. I'll take a look and let you know. The case is shaped like like a large version of a 12 to 5 gauge voltage limiter with a mounting arm.

Slotts

Offline sublime r/t se

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011 - 02:06:40 PM »
sublime r/t se, thanks for the info. No my low fuel light does not work. Where is that relay located? Also where did you get the replacement? Have you had heat issues with these bulbs staying on so long? Do you know where to find LED replacements? Wow that's a lot of questions   :smilielol:    Thanks,  Matt
No problem.  I am not a auto electrical technician by any means.  I believe in trial and error, a wiring diagram, some jumpers and a test light.  That is all you need to get this type of stuff to work.

The low fuel relay is located on the very far edge of the lower end, passenger side of the dashboard.  It is a lot easier to get at if you take out the cardboard glove compartment box.  The wiring from the fuel sender runs through this relay and then sends signals to the fuel gauge and the low fuel lamp.  You will have to find a NOS relay. Not too hard to find because these relays were on a lot of cars, especially C Bodies. 

I checked the continuity on the wiring to the lamp before I changed out the relay.  Once I did the lamp worked perfect.  You will know it's working because it comes on when the ignition is switched on and then swithces off when the gauge starts to sweep to full. 

Let me know if  you have other questions.   Once again, a total layperson's view.
1970 Challenger R/T  SE
1969 Roadrunner Convertible
2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
2001 Ford Mustang GT Convertible

Offline spamtank

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011 - 05:31:43 PM »

My low fuel light works too well.  It stays on all the time.  I tried replacing the relay, but that didn't improve the situation.  It has been on for 1/2 hour to 45 minute trips.  I've probably got about 15 trips like this with another 15 trips of 15 minutes or so.  That has to add up to about 10 hours of operation.  They must heat up pretty quick.  I have not noticed any discoloration or warping of the lens yet. 

But now you guys have me worried.  I'm going to look into taking the bulb out this weekend. 

I might try to make some of my own LED replacement bulbs up.  I should be able to gut an existing bulb and then replace it with a 12V LED.  Then I'll pot that with RTV or non-conductive epoxy.  I'll let you know how that works.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011 - 07:48:56 PM by spamtank »
Rick, Manchester, NH
1970 SE 383 2V AT Challenger
1977 M882/W200 Power Wagon
2013 RT Plus 6M