Author Topic: Free pat on the back for whoever solves my fuel starvation issue!!!!  (Read 13818 times)

Offline acudanut

Re: Free pat on the back for whoever solves my fuel starvation issue!!!!
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2011 - 09:27:29 PM »
Question, if my tank was full of crud that is clogging up the fuel pump, should the in line filter that is between the pump and tank be filled with said crud?  Because I again took the pump off, looked it over, looked at the pre filter, and they are both absolutely spotless.  No dirt, nothing.  The fuel that poored out of both was clean as could be.  And yet, not 1 minute after putting it all back together and priming the pump and starting it, the pump, the brand new pump with less than 1 mile on it, began whining.  I absolutely understand that a tank setup for fuel injection would be ideal, but I can't get one right now, and my buddy has his factory tank in with NO issues.
Not if the filter in the tank is collecting most of it . :2cents:

Offline DJVCuda

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2011 - 07:14:46 AM »
Not if the filter in the tank is collecting most of it . :2cents:

did you pull the sender and look at the sock?

Offline abodyjoe

• Get It On....
    • A-Body Joe's
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2011 - 07:24:22 AM »
well after hearing this car has the original 40 year old tank i wouldn't doubt the injectors are clogged also.   

you really have to pull that tank and make sure it and the pick up are spotless.

had it happen to a friend.   he short cut the deal by using the original tank and just plumbing a return in through the stock sender.   first his pump took a crap then the injectors.   efi is a lot more sensitive to dirt then a carb system is.

Offline DJVCuda

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2011 - 09:46:36 AM »
I went to advance options and "accel" was set to 00.   I changed it to 8.  What does that option do?  Was it not supposed to b set to 00?

Side note, I just want to let everyone know how much I appreciate all the help and suggestions everyone has offered.

it is like an accelerator pump on a carb , as the carb / T body is opened more fuel is added to cover the vacuum drop

just another side note - I have (2) 1000 cfm ez's on top of my 360 -  2000 cfm total  - i let the ez system learn and never had to change the accel fuel  - it is still at zero.

I suggest you go to the FAST web site and download the instruction, if you do not have them and read them. The system has features you have no idea yet - it would be wise to read them  - IMO

Also - this is an injected system, so setting the accell fuel to compensate like a carb is flat out wrong. There is no vacuum drop to compensate for - the vacuum drop in a carb would stop pulling fuel past the boosters, since the venturi effect would not longer be taking place -

With EFI there is not loss of signal from a loss of vacuum - the signal is irrelevant in terms of loosing the signal since the fuel is pressurized out of an injector  - and the injector don't care if the throttle body is seeing any vacuum or 30" worth - they shoot the same - thats the beauty of me mashing 2000 cfm and having NO BOG even with the acc-fuel at zero.

I'd recommend putting it back to the stock setting untill you figure out your fuel delivery problem and at that point, once you have read your directions and are sure you need to even mess with things... then you should proceed to make one change at a time to see the effects and results of it.

again, just my opinion, I have set up a few of these and just trying to get you back on track.

Offline acudanut

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2011 - 10:22:05 AM »
  I guess I am glad I have a Carb...Sorry. I wish you the best...Have you taken it to a local shop. ??

Offline DJVCuda

« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2011 - 10:27:07 AM »
  I guess I am glad I have a Carb...Sorry. I wish you the best...Have you taken it to a local shop. ??

if done correctly the efi system will be night and day better then any carb, with the ability to adjust in miliseconds for any change in temp, elevation, condition etc.
add in the ease of starting, hot starting, and the tunability from the drivers seat and you have one bad assed setup.

i gained 21 hp over my carb setup too!

Offline DocMel

« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2011 - 03:19:10 PM »
Ill have to disagrree about the post stating you dont have to or shouldnt adjust the accel option:  The the instructions  specifically state some tuning may or may not be needed in this area.  FOr me, at 0 it fell on its face:  At 6-8 it runs/accels fine  (I have the single, 4 system)

Thats why the option to adjust accell to begin with is even availble in the advanced options

But lets go back to basics.  You need to drop the tank to inspect.  Dont depend on just removing the fuel sender unit and taking a peak.  You cant see whats going on   I did exactly that:  It didnt look bad at that angle.  Until I dropped it and looked in the fuel neck:  Besides the big flakes, the fine brown particles will clog any filter in almost 0 time.   And cleaning them out and reinstalling just doesnt work,  The scale comes back quickly

OEM style tanks arent that expensive  Shop around and you can find them delivered for $220   

Like myself and some others said:  My money is your old tank is just full or particulates

For those that dont beleive in EFIs:  I has the proflo eddy brock on a 502, and now a FAST on my 440.  They are absolutley the easiest things to run and tune.  The only trick is the installation  (routing fuels lines and fuel pump installation location was the worst for me in both cases)

The 502/502 I had with the eddy proflo was blinding fast, responsive and would start in any condition with just a click and roar.  It was in a 68 Corvete coupe, 3;55 rear, with Kielser 6 speed.  It was plain dangerous off the line, and the power band was everywhere in the rpm range.  Originally I had a GM low rise dual plane on it with a Thunder AVS carb.  I could never get that carb right:  I went thru every jet, all circuits, and accel pump adjustments:  I could never get the lag out of it.  EFI completly eliminated it.  And up here I live at 9000 feet ASL.  Try driving a carb tuned car at that altitude, and drive from that down to 2000-sea level with a carb

The FAST is just about as good,  I just wish the distributor was keyed with it as the proflo systems are

Eleimate the easiest most obvious probs first.  The tank is easy to drop and reinstall

I found that attention to detail to instructions is key as well, and dont take any shortcuts.   Every prob I had was that I didnt read instructions in close detail, and trying to use old hardware/parts.  I tried to use a new 3/8 and the OEM 5/16 .  It ran like poo when on the gas no matter what entry I pushed.  Retrun line was too small:  It said right in the manual:  Use 3/8 line

For the FAST, my probs were JUST like yours:  Exactly the same symptoms.  It wasnt until I really looked inside the tank, canned it, and got another did everything clear up. 

Offline challngd73

« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2011 - 04:24:04 PM »
Again, the filter, the pump, the fuel in both, the sock from the new sending unit, are all clean as a whistle.  I didn't clean anything, there just isn't any particles or clogs or anything.

Offline DJVCuda

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2011 - 07:48:50 PM »
Again, the filter, the pump, the fuel in both, the sock from the new sending unit, are all clean as a whistle.  I didn't clean anything, there just isn't any particles or clogs or anything.

40 year old tank with not so much as a spec of dirt?

best of luck with your issues.

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2011 - 08:23:30 PM »

You might try the bucket suggestion and see if it pumps okay that way, or does it start to whine after a short time.  A search will show you are not the only person that has problems after install and parts have been noted bad from the factory in spite of the comments and presumptions made here.

Offline DJVCuda

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2011 - 08:41:01 PM »
You might try the bucket suggestion and see if it pumps okay that way, or does it start to whine after a short time.  A search will show you are not the only person that has problems after install and parts have been noted bad from the factory in spite of the comments and presumptions made here.

Figured the fuel pump may be a goner so f.a.s.t. Sent me a new one.  Installed it and after it warmed up, same issue and fuel pump was again whining.

one pump possibly... - extremely unlikely with the second pump doing the same thing

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2011 - 09:49:06 PM »
one pump possibly... - extremely unlikely with the second pump doing the same thing

I guess it is easier to keep telling him that his filter is clogged

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2011 - 09:56:37 PM »
Someone on the first page asked you about the tank being vented as well has not being able to get more than 43 psi out of the pump.  You might go back and think about that

I would tend to start at the rear and prove each part of the system....will the pump put out the rated pressure at the pump outlet and work forward proving each part...looking for a collapsed hose, a pin hole leak, blocked line...I remember you said you plumbed it with 3/8s

Be sure you are getting adequate voltage to the pump with a matching ground.  One volt can drop output by some 15% depending upon the pump-
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011 - 10:06:56 PM by Strawdawg »

Offline Milkmann

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2011 - 10:20:07 PM »
I didn't read all the replies, but I have been told that fuel injection systems need to have the fuel pump near or in the tank so it is pushing fuel not pulling it.

If this has already been brought up, my bad.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2011 - 12:04:07 AM »
the easiest way to explain the accel circuit is to relate it to a carb & vacuum drop , I totally understand that EFI is not sensitive to vacuum drop as the fuel is injected at high pressure not drawn in with vacuum as a carb would .
 I f the pump is whining that is wrong so either the fuel supply is a problem or the pump was damaged by inadequate fuel supply .

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t