Author Topic: Free pat on the back for whoever solves my fuel starvation issue!!!!  (Read 13830 times)

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
Re: Free pat on the back for whoever solves my fuel starvation issue!!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011 - 06:50:20 AM »
Still didn't answer the question.....Is it T-body "Speed density" set up, or does it use a "Mass air" set up with Port injection?...

Gotta feeling it isn't a fuel problem as stated before, but everyb ody seems to want ot go after that. It's in the delivery side alright, but it's AFTER the ECM...
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline DJVCuda

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2011 - 09:46:50 AM »
Still didn't answer the question.....Is it T-body "Speed density" set up, or does it use a "Mass air" set up with Port injection?...

Gotta feeling it isn't a fuel problem as stated before, but everyb ody seems to want ot go after that. It's in the delivery side alright, but it's AFTER the ECM...

ez is a speed density setup.

is the tank original?

Offline challngd73

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2011 - 02:34:58 PM »

Sorry, yes it is t-body.  It definitely started as some sort of fuel issue or my fuel pressure and fuel pump wouldn't have acted that way I think?

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011 - 03:16:08 PM »
It's your regulator like Chryco suggested. The regulator is set to 43 psi when full vacuum is applied to it. When the vacuum fall off (load), the pressure increases. If yours is dropping to 40 psi, the regulator is bad. Contact the F.A.S.T. people and ask about getting it replaced. 

You could also go to www.CPGNATION.com and check the tech forums.    But if I were you, Call the FAST Tech line and get it swapped out, before you melt your pistons.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2011 - 03:59:10 PM »
Doh, Rob is correct altho I thought the fp was set with the hose off if the engine is running.

If that is the case, then the fp should drop when the vacuum hose is connected to the regulator and it should increase to 43 psi when going wot.  Read the instructions to see if the base pressure with the hose on, or off, the regulation with the engine running.

If the pressure drops when the engine is idling from where ever it is when the engine is off, then I would guess it more likely to be the pump again rather than the regulator...but, it would seem to be one or the other :)

I think the best suggestion is to call the help line and make sure the proper set up procedure

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2011 - 04:44:04 PM »
Yeah, I think 43 PSI is your max pressure when no vacuum is applied to the regulator. You should be able to suck on the hose and watch the pressure drop.

I don't have a FAST EZ-EFI to look at the manual, but wish I had one. I have the other cheaper ones.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline DocMel

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2011 - 04:44:31 PM »
5/16"  fuel line IS THE PROB, period

Offline DocMel

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2011 - 04:47:42 PM »
Sorry, didnt read you changed to 3/8th

Go to yiour menu on your hand held

Go to advanced options.  Set accel to at least 8 or 9.  COuld be accel pump entry is too low

OR:  Hows the sock at the fuel sender

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2011 - 04:57:58 PM »
Yeah, I think 43 PSI is your max pressure when no vacuum is applied to the regulator. You should be able to suck on the hose and watch the pressure drop.

I don't have a FAST EZ-EFI to look at the manual, but wish I had one. I have the other cheaper ones.

All my experience is with turbos and xfi plus factory systems..but, I think you nailed it, either way....if it does not respond with vacuum, it would seem to be the regulator as there is not much volume required at idle, or with the engine off and the pump powered.  If it does act properly, then filter and pump would seem to be the other side of the equation.  A whining pump has always been one step before it gave up in my experience, but, I would not eliminate anything without checking

Offline challngd73

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2011 - 06:06:07 PM »

Go to advanced options.  Set accel to at least 8 or 9.  COuld be accel pump entry is too low

Fuel sending unit is brand new.  If it was something to do with the advanced options, I don't understand why she ran great and then all of a sudden this problem occurred.  If something wasn't set properly in the setup menu, I'd think it would have ran like this all along.

Offline challngd73

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2011 - 06:09:14 PM »
There is no hose to the regulator, it is "atmospheric vacuum" according to the instruction manual.

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2011 - 06:27:26 PM »
What is the fuel pressure with the engine off and power jumped to the pump...as opposed to the pressure when the engine is idling?

MAP sensor?  Can you read the voltage out of it with KOEOff and then with the engine running?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011 - 06:30:07 PM by Strawdawg »

Offline challngd73

« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2011 - 06:43:34 PM »
What is the fuel pressure with the engine off and power jumped to the pump...as opposed to the pressure when the engine is idling?

MAP sensor?  Can you read the voltage out of it with KOEOff and then with the engine running?
Checked fuel pressure with key on and engine off, when u can hear pump priming, the pressure is at 43.  Then it drops down to 15..

Offline challngd73

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2011 - 06:46:40 PM »

I went to advance options and "accel" was set to 00.   I changed it to 8.  What does that option do?  Was it not supposed to b set to 00?

Side note, I just want to let everyone know how much I appreciate all the help and suggestions everyone has offered.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2011 - 07:24:44 PM »
it is like an accelerator pump on a carb , as the carb / T body is opened more fuel is added to cover the vacuum drop

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t