Author Topic: Free pat on the back for whoever solves my fuel starvation issue!!!!  (Read 13855 times)

Offline DJVCuda

Re: Free pat on the back for whoever solves my fuel starvation issue!!!!
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2011 - 07:35:48 PM »
AGAIN.....

Is the tank original that is in the car?

:popcorn:

Offline DJVCuda

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2011 - 07:41:44 PM »
here is my ez efi setup...

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2011 - 07:50:28 PM »
AGAIN.....

Is the tank original that is in the car?

:popcorn:

The 25th post stated that it is the original tank!!!!
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline challngd73

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2011 - 07:58:41 PM »
The 25th post stated that it is the original tank!!!!
Thank you.  And That is a nice setup there.

Offline DJVCuda

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2011 - 08:06:16 PM »
you have **** in the original tank that is clogging the pump... I'll bet you lunch over it.

If you went that far to get the setup, go ahead and do it right before you burn the pump out or burn a hole in your pistons.

Get a rock valley modified tank :

They offer an in the tank pump that is capable of 65 psi and it has baffles so you can make hard turns and stops without sucking air. You had carb bowls before that would compensate for the second or two it would, not the case with the efi...

you cant even get there because 40 years of rust and gunk are trying to be sucked into the pre-filter  - it will cavatate the pump and it will spin louder while sucking so hard it creates a vacuum.

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2011 - 08:30:25 PM »
how ya doing dlv ? hows that engine uild comming along? i like the write up on it ..
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2011 - 08:55:09 PM »
Has anybody thought about the stock tank having NO BAFFLES causing the fuel to leave the pump under hard excelleration? Maybe? Possibly?
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline DJVCuda

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2011 - 08:58:01 PM »

They offer an in the tank pump that is capable of 65 psi and it has baffles 

yeah - i mentioned mine has them to eliminate that issue

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2011 - 09:47:34 PM »
having the return line enter near the pick up can airate the fuel as well

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline challngd73

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2011 - 05:13:02 AM »
I do understand the tank issue and want a new one, however I do not understand why the car would have ran fine for two months and all of a sudden have that issue now, if that is the problem.

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2011 - 09:14:21 AM »
I do understand the tank issue and want a new one, however I do not understand why the car would have ran fine for two months and all of a sudden have that issue now, if that is the problem.

Because now there is a good possibility that there is gunk getting in the pump. When it comes to crap floating around and messing with a fuel system there is no time limit to when it will happen, it is as random as it will get.

you have **** in the original tank that is clogging the pump... I'll bet you lunch over it.

If you went that far to get the setup, go ahead and do it right before you burn the pump out or burn a hole in your pistons.

Get a rock valley modified tank :

They offer an in the tank pump that is capable of 65 psi and it has baffles so you can make hard turns and stops without sucking air. You had carb bowls before that would compensate for the second or two it would, not the case with the efi...

you cant even get there because 40 years of rust and gunk are trying to be sucked into the pre-filter  - it will cavatate the pump and it will spin louder while sucking so hard it creates a vacuum.

I checked out rock valley gas tanks. Didn't see anything for e-bodies. Everything on their site is for 30's vehicles.
Cuda is gone :(

74 satellite, daily driver/project now

Offline DJVCuda

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2011 - 09:20:21 AM »
Because now there is a good possibility that there is gunk getting in the pump. When it comes to crap floating around and messing with a fuel system there is no time limit to when it will happen, it is as random as it will get.

I checked out rock valley gas tanks. Didn't see anything for e-bodies. Everything on their site is for 30's vehicles.

Call them - they add that EFI sump to ANY tank they offer.

Mine was for an early a-bod and they had it in stock.

The sump is a spiral that holds plenty of fuel  - I have had it under 1.8th tank and never had an issue yet.

and yes, an original tank is full of RUST, SCALE, DIRT, and whatever else made it in there the last 40 years - why do it half assed? you had an entirely new fuel management system  - the least you should do is supply it with a good supply of clean fuel!

Offline challngd73

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2011 - 08:00:39 PM »
Question, if my tank was full of crud that is clogging up the fuel pump, should the in line filter that is between the pump and tank be filled with said crud?  Because I again took the pump off, looked it over, looked at the pre filter, and they are both absolutely spotless.  No dirt, nothing.  The fuel that poored out of both was clean as could be.  And yet, not 1 minute after putting it all back together and priming the pump and starting it, the pump, the brand new pump with less than 1 mile on it, began whining.  I absolutely understand that a tank setup for fuel injection would be ideal, but I can't get one right now, and my buddy has his factory tank in with NO issues.

Offline DocMel

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2011 - 08:51:52 PM »
This is from first hand and personal experience

Dont take shortcuts in checking these issues:  You HAVE to rule them out

As stated earlier, if you have the original tank, you can BET rust particles will clog the filter and pump pre screen:  Mine would run fine for a little while, then the pump would start to whine and it would then fall flat on its face.  If I waited till the next day, it would run ok for about a mile or so, then the same symptoms would return.  I dropped the tank and it turned out to be allot (I mean allot) of crud in the original tank that I was running.  I replaced it with new, OEM style replacement tank.   And the prob cleared up IMMEDIATLEY and never returned.  You can change filters all day long, but if your tank is full of crap, it wont help

The accel option needs to be adjusted:  The default is indeed 00 from the factory.  If you keep it there and you hit the gas, it will fall on its face as well.  Once you set up your initial start up options and drive it a few miles, go to advance options, and enter 7 or 8 or so.  You will immediatley see an improvement upon hard acceleration  (Yes, it is a form of accelerator pump)

Once you get a few miles on her and the system self tunes as time goes on, you will prob have to go back into the aceel option and tweak slightly

I dont have a sumped gas tank.  I hit mine hard on the gas all the time and drive on mountian roads and I dont get fuel starvation.  Mine is a driver at about 400 hp at the crank, and no probs here

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2011 - 09:23:51 PM »
Question, if my tank was full of crud that is clogging up the fuel pump, should the in line filter that is between the pump and tank be filled with said crud?  Because I again took the pump off, looked it over, looked at the pre filter, and they are both absolutely spotless.  No dirt, nothing.  The fuel that poored out of both was clean as could be.  And yet, not 1 minute after putting it all back together and priming the pump and starting it, the pump, the brand new pump with less than 1 mile on it, began whining.  I absolutely understand that a tank setup for fuel injection would be ideal, but I can't get one right now, and my buddy has his factory tank in with NO issues.

If there is nothing in the prefilter, or the pump, can you emulate the situation by putting the pump in a bucket of clean fuel and rigging it so it pumps back into the bucket...apply power and see if you get the whining?  It is possible you have a defective pump....Normally, most pumps will pump about a gallon in a minute from my experience at that pressure