Author Topic: Factory trailer hitches?  (Read 7216 times)

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
Re: Factory trailer hitches?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011 - 01:38:52 PM »
They are type 1 hitches which I believe the parts manual rates as light duty 2000lbs or less with a tongue weight that doesn't exceed 200 lbs.

The hitch may be rated at 2000 lbs. But I just don't see what part in the back of the car besides the frame rails that could handle that. And they don't bolt to the rails. Or am I missing something?

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011 - 10:44:04 PM »
So, if the manual tells you how much you can tow they had to have put them on at the factory.  right? 

Not just a dealer installed item.  ?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011 - 11:02:47 PM »
By manual I mean the Mopar Accessories documentation.  I'm not sure who did the actual installation.

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011 - 08:35:17 AM »
So, if the manual tells you how much you can tow they had to have put them on at the factory.  right? 

I don't know about that, I don't think so. I think it is just in case you wanted to add a hitch. I could be wrong here but I know in the owners manual it gives max towing specs for the car. That has nothing to do with the hitch its self. What I am saying is even if you put a class II or class III hitch on the car you can still only tow up to 2000lbs.

But i would not trust one of those hitches pictured in this thread to that limit. No way.  :2cents:

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline kissalien

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011 - 11:23:59 AM »

No.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011 - 11:26:42 AM »
I had a factory Class I hitch on my second Gremlin, which I used to tow a friend's Challenger for about 30 miles. Pulled out both of the bumper mounts. Sometimes, I'm amazed I'm still alive.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011 - 04:47:40 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys!  :thumbsup:  Sorry, been on vacation and not much time to hop on the computer.

Yeah, I'll have to look but I wouldn't be pulling anything too big with the little hitch that can be installed on these cars.  I'll have to look at the hitch when I get home as there are max pulling/tongue weight numbers.  I'm thinking mine is just an aftermarket put on by the original owner, not a dealer deal.

Got lots of good info!  Thanks guys!  :wave:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger