Author Topic: Factory trailer hitches?  (Read 7214 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Factory trailer hitches?
« on: August 19, 2011 - 11:15:22 AM »
On another thread, it was mentioned that there was a factory trailer hitch package:

Here's my 2 cents:  A35 - Trailer Towing Package.
I once saw a Barracuda in a field with a trailer hitch and some kind of round electrical connector in the tailight panel. I do remember seeing that horseshoe type bracket on the car that's in the e-bay ad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Challenger-1971-1972-Barracuda-New-Trailer-Hitch-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4834094687QQitemZ310110668423QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Does anyone know if the trailer hitch was a Mopar part or was it aftermarket?  :dunno:

I was curious as I looked at mine and it says, "Valley" on it.  I guess they are an aftermarket company around since like 1947 and I was wondering if Mopar dealerships used this company or other aftermarket companies for their hitches.

Thanks for any input!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline kissalien

Re: Factory trailer hitches?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011 - 04:01:31 PM »
On another thread, it was mentioned that there was a factory trailer hitch package:

Does anyone know if the trailer hitch was a Mopar part or was it aftermarket?  :dunno:

I was curious as I looked at mine and it says, "Valley" on it.  I guess they are an aftermarket company around since like 1947 and I was wondering if Mopar dealerships used this company or other aftermarket companies for their hitches.

Thanks for any input!  :thumbsup:

There was a trailer towing package, but it did not come with a hitch.

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011 - 08:27:51 PM »
My 70 Gran Coupe Convertible, I was told by the previous owner, had a trailer hitch.
He removed the hitch and installed the duel exhaust thru valance.
I cannot find any weld or brackets where it would have been mounted.
Cannot find the code on buildsheet.
Wish I could help u out.
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011 - 01:05:40 AM »
Wish I could recall who it was but I do remember seeing a convertible here on the site that had the factory set up.

Not much help, I know.  Just thought I would give my memories two cents.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011 - 01:34:43 AM »
Hitches show up in the mopar accessory books I have (different years look similar to this):

So there was an official version...dunno if it was a factory option or dealer installed only?

There's a picture of it as well....it looks the same as the one in the Mopar Action Accents brochure that was in my 74s glove box.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011 - 01:37:37 AM by Jamiez »

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011 - 09:30:32 AM »
I saw a article in a car magazine in recent times that had a vintage black and white Chrysler promotional picture of a '70 or '71 E body towing a trailer on a twisting hilly or mountain road.  I wish I could remember which magazine it was, I'd dig it up and scan the picture if I could recall.  It was either Muscle Car Review, Hemmings Muscle Machines, or Hemmings Classic Car.

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011 - 11:36:42 AM »
Here's a picture from the Action Accents:

Offline kissalien

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011 - 05:39:38 PM »
I saw a article in a car magazine in recent times that had a vintage black and white Chrysler promotional picture of a '70 or '71 E body towing a trailer on a twisting hilly or mountain road.  I wish I could remember which magazine it was, I'd dig it up and scan the picture if I could recall.  It was either Muscle Car Review, Hemmings Muscle Machines, or Hemmings Classic Car.

I have several factory pics of Challengers towing trailers. But the hitches did not come from the factory. My car used to tow a boat. The holes are still in the bumper for the hitch.

Offline kissalien

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011 - 05:53:33 PM »
I have more pics, but they're too larger for this site.

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011 - 07:05:07 PM »
That one of the Challenger pulling the airstream is the one I was thinking of!  :thumbsup:

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011 - 11:18:36 AM »
I have several factory pics of Challengers towing trailers. But the hitches did not come from the factory. My car used to tow a boat. The holes are still in the bumper for the hitch.

My 73 Barracuda had an aftermarket hitch added by the original owner leaving extra bolts to help secure the bumper to the brace behind.  Mine are much worse than yours, have you thought about just adding some extra bumper bolts to fill yours?  If I keep my original bumper its going to need major work.

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline kissalien

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011 - 06:12:01 PM »
My 73 Barracuda had an aftermarket hitch added by the original owner leaving extra bolts to help secure the bumper to the brace behind.  Mine are much worse than yours, have you thought about just adding some extra bumper bolts to fill yours?  If I keep my original bumper its going to need major work.

Later, Jim

Nope. I might buy a hitch and put it one just to piss people off at shows. Eventually I will buy another bumper.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011 - 11:27:47 PM »
Would these hitch's get installed by the dealership?

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline purple1

• Worlds first e-body trailer. Member since 3/10/05
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011 - 01:14:30 PM »
That one on e-bay sure does look like an after market. And the price  :money: ... Wow is he sure proud of it. I could make that thing for a little more than the shipping cost alone.

I was looking for a factory hitch when I made the trailer. But after looking at pictures of a original style hitch I thought no way could one tow any thing bigger than a few hundred pounds. They just looked weak to me. I could not see how they have any place to bolt up that will hold up to towing a large heavy trailer like that airstream either. Thats why I made my own. Mine bolts though the frame rails and the bumper ( I had to drill holes in both ). Where mine bolts to the bumper is only for support. The strength is where it bolts to the frame rails. I have 2 plates on each side that sandwich the frame with through bolts.

Any one thinking of doing any towing with an e-body should read the manual. Our cars are only rated to tow 2000 lbs max. I bet that airsteam trailer pictured is way more than that.  :2cents:

Dave

Worlds first e-body trailer.    Severna Park, Maryland

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011 - 01:23:43 PM »
They are type 1 hitches which I believe the parts manual rates as light duty 2000lbs or less with a tongue weight that doesn't exceed 200 lbs.