engine ate a lifter and flattened my cam. advice needed inside!

Author Topic: engine ate a lifter and flattened my cam. advice needed inside!  (Read 7235 times)

Offline The4ork

Re: engine ate a lifter and flattened my cam. advice needed inside!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011 - 08:18:07 PM »
can i use this manifold on this head? its missing some kind of exhaust porting that runs through the manifold... is this why the guy at kragen asked if i had egr? because im sitting there going, 'i dont remember seeing anything attached to the headers.... and surely a 1970 engine wouldnt have any smog equip! so... no"

because if i put this header on it will block it off, but then the fiber felpro gasket would blow out...surely. id have to use a metal gasket i would think?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011 - 08:25:46 PM »
that port is the heat crossover , normally it is far better to have it blocked unless you drive the car well below freezing

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline The4ork

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011 - 09:59:14 PM »
is it exhaust? will that aluminum manifold be ok? do i need a metal gasket? will the fiber one blow?

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011 - 11:13:37 PM »
Since you insist on doing a Bruce County rebuild, at least take a gallon of varsol and with the intake off and the oil pan plug out, pour it through the engine to try to flush some of the debris from the dead cam/lifter. You can pour the varsol through a coffee filter to reuse it again if money's an issue. After that, put the pan plug in and pour a quart of oil over the new? lifters and cam in the valley. Hopefully you used some RTV around the timing cover when you slid it back into the oil pan and put a new seal in it- don't forget the oil slinger. CP gave you good advice on the clearances and torque settings, but you're really skating on thin mechanical ice counting on the filter to save you here. After you get it started, bring it up to 2000 rpm for 20 minutes using some decent break in oil (check the recent threads about them) and then dump that oil and filter and replace with new. THEN, cross your fingers and wish like hell for a favour from the big guy- you may need it. Good luck  :2cents:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011 - 10:49:54 AM »
i have two sets of push rods at different length and they are both too short  :swear:

so ive hit yet another block in the road. :-\

Smith Bros Pushrods in Bend Oregon can have a new set to you overnight

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2011 - 10:52:21 AM »
I was just there in Bend and have family that lives there will have to check it out and get some new pushrods.  :2thumbs:

Offline The4ork

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2011 - 01:17:22 PM »
Guys, I'm joking about the filter!!! I'm going to drop the pan plug and flush some gasoline through the engine through the cam and lifter area and let it pour out the oil pan. I'm also going to thoroughly run a magnet through the pan for several passes, I'm going to be as thorough as I can without disassembling the motor. I'm trying to save costs however I can bc I'm getting married on the 4th and since I'm paying for most of it out of my pocket, money is pretty tight.

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011 - 06:45:58 PM »
All is forgiven, BUT, PLEASE don't use gas! The slightest spark and both you and your beloved car will be no shows for that wedding on the 4th! I'm "frugal" myself, but safety is boss and besides, we all want to hear how this goes!  :lol:

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011 - 06:56:58 PM »
It could just be me, but somethin' don't look right with that second back, pass. side pushrod angle....Be sure to run "Break-in" oil with High ZDDP in it when breakin' in that cam. If running dual springs, might wanna take the inner spring out breakin cam, then re-install outer springs.

Looks like you installed the lifters on the cam without any break-in lube on the lobes as well....Hmmmmm, i'm afraid I smell another wiped lobe in the near future here.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011 - 07:00:16 PM by Cooter »
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011 - 07:03:30 PM »
the cam was in the engine before I believe , still would not hurt to use some break in lube diesel fuel would work better to wash the engine out

Offline The4ork

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011 - 07:23:33 PM »
I meant diesel fuel, y truck has a duelist in it so I can just turn the pump on and squirt it into the motor. Easy to do and I think it will do a good job.

Pushrods look like their at a funny angle because they are, it's a T/A engine

Cam has been in this motor before, it's only in for testing right now, it's only got a light coat of lube on the bearing surface. I'll be smothering it with Lucas and then pouring the first quart of royal purple break in oil directly onto the cam, lifters and rods/rockers

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011 - 11:25:57 PM »
I guess it is better than nothing, but, it will not do anything for oil passages which are the greatest problem, imo

Offline The4ork

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011 - 11:10:34 PM »
i have a question. when switching from a hyd lifter to a solid lifter, do you normally have to change pushrods? because the pushrods sit "lower" in my solid lifters than they hyds, causing my pushrods to be too short. i wonder if swapping to a more stock style solid design will allow me to run the stock pushrods? or is this normal.

remember im a v8 noob, im used to just having solid lifters with shim discs on 4cyl motors :/

also what "makes" me have to run mechanical? because the new cam has similar specs to the old cam which was hyd.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011 - 11:28:24 PM by The4ork »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011 - 12:19:58 AM »
Mechanical lifters do sit lower so you need longer pushrods
the specs can be silimar but the ramp speed can be very different , , the spec is a snap shot of one position on the lobe not a map of the lobe shape , this is why similar cams can still have very different Idle & HP results

Offline The4ork

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2011 - 01:47:41 PM »
I'm still working on it but slow' I'm getting married this week so vie been busy with all that. I did get an email back from Erson though....
"Richard,
Your cam is a Hi Flow 1M

.510 Valve lift
242 @ .050”
286 advertised duration
108 L/C
.022” valve lash"

Sweet now I finally know