Author Topic: Metering Valve Question  (Read 3006 times)

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
Metering Valve Question
« on: August 20, 2011 - 06:35:47 PM »
Is there some one here who can help me with understanding how a Metering Valve works?

http://www.yearone.com/yodnn/TechFAQ/WheelsTiresBrakesFAQ/MoparBrakeLinesValves/tabid/422/Default.aspx

Mine is leaking (brand new from InlineTube) down at the valve stem.  I don't know if it is defective, or if something needs to be undone and re-tightened.

Thanks for any responses!

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
Re: Metering Valve Question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011 - 09:32:20 AM »
from the number of posts on this subject and the inline replacements, I guess yours is par for the course.  I think some have had luck taking them apart and replacing the cracked o-rings in them.   At least luck in stopping the leaks

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011 - 08:03:01 AM »
i did search the posts, but didn't find much specific to metering (or hold-off) valves.  i did run across a link that led to another link and found this:
http://www.imperialclub.com/Repair/Lit/Master/257/page08.htm

I will be calling Inlinetube today, and see what they say. 

Offline spamtank

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011 - 06:32:15 PM »
from the number of posts on this subject and the inline replacements, I guess yours is par for the course.  I think some have had luck taking them apart and replacing the cracked o-rings in them.   At least luck in stopping the leaks

I purchased the proportioning valve along with the hold off valve from In-Line.  I ended up only installing the hold off valve.  Knock on wood, mine is not leaking.  I suppose I lucked out. 

I hope you are able to get things worked out there.  Nothing worse than leaking brake fluid all over everything.  :stomp:
Rick, Manchester, NH
1970 SE 383 2V AT Challenger
1977 M882/W200 Power Wagon
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011 - 07:12:50 AM »
Nothing worse than leaking brake fluid all over everything

I used DOT-5 brake fluid, or else i would have no paint whatsoever!  I called inlinetube, and reported the defective valve.  even though i have only 38 miles on it since installation (kinda hard to drive when the front brakes aren't grabbing), they only warrant it 6 months from the time of purchase, which was june of last year.  so they gave me a discount on a new one.  chalk it up to the cost of having a hobby!

The Imperial Club website has some really good technical articles.  i had no clue what a 'metering valve' did, or how it works.  now it makes sense!

Offline spamtank

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011 - 07:51:12 PM »
I called inlinetube, and reported the defective valve.  even though i have only 38 miles on it since installation (kinda hard to drive when the front brakes aren't grabbing), they only warrant it 6 months from the time of purchase, which was june of last year.  so they gave me a discount on a new one.  chalk it up to the cost of having a hobby!

I installed the Inline proportioning valve, but had trouble bleeding the rear brakes.  After cleaning up the original, and reinstalling, they bled fine.  I tried to return it, but they declined my request.  As you said, "cost of having a hobby."  I couldn't find the "center the valve" procedure.  That probably would have worked. :banghead:

The Imperial Club website has some really good technical articles.  i had no clue what a 'metering valve' did, or how it works.  now it makes sense!

That is a great site.   :worshippy  Thanks for that! :thumbsup:
Rick, Manchester, NH
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011 - 07:31:52 PM »
My replacement metering valve arrived today.  i know where i will be saturday morning!!!

Offline spamtank

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011 - 07:41:09 PM »
My replacement metering valve arrived today.  i know where i will be saturday morning!!!

Are you going to take the leaking one apart to trouble shoot it?  I'd be curious to know if it was a cut o-ring like I've read about on another page.  Good luck! :popcorn:
Rick, Manchester, NH
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011 - 01:04:01 PM »
yes, you read my mind.  if i can remember to grab the camera, i'll try to take some pics too.

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011 - 04:48:19 PM »
Got started at 8am, and removed the leaky valve, and installed the new one.  made sure i had no line leaks, and bled the front brakes.  It seemed like i still had some air, so bled them again, and got some air bubbles to release.  unfortunately, i forgot to check the resevoir, and ran the master cylinder dry  :banghead:

filled it up, ran thru the whole bleed thing, again.  and the new valve started leaking.   :villagers:

gave it up as a bad job, parked the car, and mowed the grass,  i needed to get something accomplished correctly!

so after mowing, and a few honey-do's; i took the first one apart:

Intake port on the top, left front brake exits on the left & right brake on the right:

from the other side (thats the intake port on the left):

rubber dust seal:

without the dust seal:

unscrewed the hold in assembly:

the diaphragm assembly:

Looking down into the valve:

the rubber valve seat:

Everything seemed to appear ok.  no torn pieces, nothing out of the ordinary.  Being a brand new machined part, i wonder if maybe it got stuck in the open position??
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011 - 04:58:43 PM by EB3-GranCoupe »

Offline spamtank

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011 - 06:36:56 PM »

so after mowing, and a few honey-do's; i took the first one apart:

Everything seemed to appear ok.  no torn pieces, nothing out of the ordinary.  Being a brand new machined part, i wonder if maybe it got stuck in the open position??

I looked at the photos, and added a few comments.  You did get really good pictures of all the parts.  Even so, it's sometimes hard to see what's going on.

Rick, Manchester, NH
2013 RT Plus 6M

Offline EB3-GranCoupe

• BP23 U0B
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011 - 12:59:25 PM »
Spam,
Thanks for the feedback!  As to your observations:

Bore condition - I didn't run my finger in it, but it appeared that the dark colorign is due to the rubber seal at the bottom of the spring.
Ragged edge of seal - Hmm, i'll take it apart again, and look at it closer.  i didn't notice that.
Knurled edge - yes, i noticed that too, as soon as i unscrewed it.  it did take some effort to get it loose.

It may be a while before i can get it apart again.  the next several weekends are already planned out.  thanks again!