Author Topic: 340 owners...are you happy with your engine choice?  (Read 19079 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: 340 owners...are you happy with your engine choice?
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2011 - 10:11:13 AM »
A long time ago I was racing a Chevelle, probably a 350. I had my mother's Charger, with a slant six 225. He was keeping up with me in the straights, but every time we came to a curve, he'd fall back, about 6 car lengths. Then he'd catch me on the straights again, but by the time he was ready to pass there'd be another curve and he'd fall way back. He could probably have managed to pass me if he could have stayed with me through the curves, but either the car or the driver didn't have what it took.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2011 - 10:32:29 AM »
A long time ago I was racing a Chevelle, probably a 350. I had my mother's Charger, with a slant six 225. He was keeping up with me in the straights, but every time we came to a curve, he'd fall back, about 6 car lengths. Then he'd catch me on the straights again, but by the time he was ready to pass there'd be another curve and he'd fall way back. He could probably have managed to pass me if he could have stayed with me through the curves, but either the car or the driver didn't have what it took.

I'd guess he didn't have the balls to take the corners. 68-72 Chevelles do have  pretty good  front end geometry stock. .... As much as I hate to admit it! :aarg:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2011 - 11:52:35 AM »
All of that may be true. But every single person I've met along the way that has asked about my cuda, has said "cool" when I told them I was putting in a new hemi. Never once had someone say "why not a big block?". Even had one guy (who is quite the classic car collector/driver) say that it was a smart idea considering how much he knew I wanted to drive it.

Technology has advanced. Not only that but it has been proven to be worth using. Getting bigger power gains with smaller engines. Heck look at all the performance small blocks that are being produced right now. Fords new 5.0 is getting quite a bit more power than it ever has before AND it gets better mileage. Same thing with the new hemi vs the old 360 (comparing ci size, not engine names), and look at the new LS engines that chevy is making. All small blocks and all able to get quite a bit more power than their 60's to 70's small block brethren. Heck they are even outdoing some of the old big blocks. Not all of them for sure, but some of them.

Taking all that into consideration. I say go with what people want. There is no reason to start calling people out because they have faith in their small blocks over a big block. Like I've said before, there will always be something out there that is better than what you have.

If you don't believe that just look at a twin turbo supra. Has 2 cylinders less than any of us would even dream of putting in our cuda/challenger. But when those motors are built up they can be plain old mean.

Aren't you kind of talking apples to oranges here?  Nobody is talking about putting in an old straight eight with 120ish horsepower either.

(O O [             SRT ] O O)
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6
2008 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi
2015 Chrysler 200c AWD 3.6L
2000 Yamaha V-Max
Doing my part to leave a big carbon footprint!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-09-05

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2011 - 12:41:40 PM »
"Technology has advanced. Not only that but it has been proven to be worth using. Getting bigger power gains with smaller engines. Heck look at all the performance small blocks that are being produced right now. Fords new 5.0 is getting quite a bit more power than it ever has before AND it gets better mileage. Same thing with the new hemi vs the old 360 (comparing ci size, not engine names), and look at the new LS engines that chevy is making. All small blocks and all able to get quite a bit more power than their 60's to 70's small block brethren. Heck they are even outdoing some of the old big blocks. Not all of them for sure, but some of them."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sure that 5.0 is getting better fuel mileage due to all that electronic BULLSH*T all over killing cylinders as you "Cruise" down the highway..Even the FACTORY figured out what you seem to have missed...There's NO WAY a 500 HP V8 Engine will get 25 MPG without overdrive and SELECT ENGINE DISPLACEMENT...I think it's great you see all those cool videos on Youtube and actually think you too can do it, but I live in the real world working on repairing some of these VD engines...With all that Variable Valve timing sure, just TRY and get a few more ponies out of it by installing an aftermarket cam ...

All that CRAP adds to your Small block you are trying to get 500 HP out of..Unless you plan on Variable Displacement on your new Hemi, or small block, you WILL get the same if not worse than a Supercharged, overdriven, fuel injected big block cause that little engine will scatter it's parts all over the ground working HARDER to produce the same power of a "Lazy" Stroker big block. Just ask Randy Bolig of Mopar Musclemagazine about that badass Valiant Small Block with Tunnel ram and twin fours...Face it, it's all about cubic dollars today.Have YOU priced a junkyard Supra 2JZ Engine????Good golly, I could BUILD a 572 Stroker making the same power NORMALLY ASPIRATED For what they want for just that engine....Sure a $65K Small block car, with VD and VVT and fifteen computers MIGHT get better fuel mileage than a Carb'd Big Block making the same HP, but Install all that Sh*t you put on that small block and the big block gets a few MPG's less than your small block, will actually live at that power level and Make around double the power...Game over, thanks for playing.....
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011 - 12:50:25 PM by Cooter »
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2011 - 02:43:14 PM »
YAWN!!!!!!!!!!!   :faint:  :sleeping: Nuff Said.................................  :horse:
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline joelson6

« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2011 - 10:40:38 PM »
"Technology has advanced. Not only that but it has been proven to be worth using. Getting bigger power gains with smaller engines. Heck look at all the performance small blocks that are being produced right now. Fords new 5.0 is getting quite a bit more power than it ever has before AND it gets better mileage. Same thing with the new hemi vs the old 360 (comparing ci size, not engine names), and look at the new LS engines that chevy is making. All small blocks and all able to get quite a bit more power than their 60's to 70's small block brethren. Heck they are even outdoing some of the old big blocks. Not all of them for sure, but some of them."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sure that 5.0 is getting better fuel mileage due to all that electronic BULLSH*T all over killing cylinders as you "Cruise" down the highway..Even the FACTORY figured out what you seem to have missed...There's NO WAY a 500 HP V8 Engine will get 25 MPG without overdrive and SELECT ENGINE DISPLACEMENT...I think it's great you see all those cool videos on Youtube and actually think you too can do it, but I live in the real world working on repairing some of these VD engines...With all that Variable Valve timing sure, just TRY and get a few more ponies out of it by installing an aftermarket cam ...

All that CRAP adds to your Small block you are trying to get 500 HP out of..Unless you plan on Variable Displacement on your new Hemi, or small block, you WILL get the same if not worse than a Supercharged, overdriven, fuel injected big block cause that little engine will scatter it's parts all over the ground working HARDER to produce the same power of a "Lazy" Stroker big block. Just ask Randy Bolig of Mopar Musclemagazine about that badass Valiant Small Block with Tunnel ram and twin fours...Face it, it's all about cubic dollars today.Have YOU priced a junkyard Supra 2JZ Engine????Good golly, I could BUILD a 572 Stroker making the same power NORMALLY ASPIRATED For what they want for just that engine....Sure a $65K Small block car, with VD and VVT and fifteen computers MIGHT get better fuel mileage than a Carb'd Big Block making the same HP, but Install all that Sh*t you put on that small block and the big block gets a few MPG's less than your small block, will actually live at that power level and Make around double the power...Game over, thanks for playing.....

:iagree:

Cooter, i'm with you on this one !  :grinyes:

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2011 - 11:33:23 PM »
YAWN!!!!!!!!!!!   :faint:  :sleeping: Nuff Said.................................  :horse:
:iagree: This thread has evolved from the original question.

Hi guys...longtime looker, first time poster.  I am finishing up a restoration of a 73 Chall w/ rallye package.  I dropped in a rebuilt 1972 340, bored .60 over, comp cam, edelbrock 750 carb.  Im hoping it will be a good little street cruiser, and a way to beat some rice burners when the chance comes!  But I was wondering, since I haven't got to drive the car yet, what other owners of 340s had to say about their car.  Fun to drive?  Plenty of get up and go?  Reliable?  Stuff like that.....anyway, great board here. PERRY 2012
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011 - 11:35:21 PM by Challenger6pak »
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline TinCuda

• 'Cuda
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2011 - 01:18:37 AM »
:iagree: This thread has evolved from the original question.

Hi guys...longtime looker, first time poster.  I am finishing up a restoration of a 73 Chall w/ rallye package.  I dropped in a rebuilt 1972 340, bored .60 over, comp cam, edelbrock 750 carb.  Im hoping it will be a good little street cruiser, and a way to beat some rice burners when the chance comes!  But I was wondering, since I haven't got to drive the car yet, what other owners of 340s had to say about their car.  Fun to drive?  Plenty of get up and go?  Reliable?  Stuff like that.....anyway, great board here. PERRY 2012

OH, gosh, well then, I guess your 340 will probably be just fine...

(O O [             SRT ] O O)
(O O {]{]{]||[}[}[} O O)
{||O||}

2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
1971 Plymouth 'Cuda 440-6
2008 Dodge Charger R/T Hemi
2015 Chrysler 200c AWD 3.6L
2000 Yamaha V-Max
Doing my part to leave a big carbon footprint!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2012-09-05

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2011 - 02:09:02 AM »
I suggest this get settled in THUNDERDOME,.... Bust a deal meet the wheel. :roflsmiley:

Who runs BARTERTOWN???.......................

Offline aris_unlimited

• Project in full swing
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2011 - 03:55:01 AM »

Game over? Seriously? I think you're probably showing your knowledge level and your age here. Seems like you are extremely familiar with old school muscle. And you know what, great for you. Seriously. Talk to thedodgeboys about all that cylinder kill crap he has on his car. Willing to bet you your car that he'll say he doesn't have any on it. And guess what, he gets 20 mpg. And pretty dang close to 500 hp. Also I never said 25mpg, I said 20mpg which is very doable.

Also I wasn't talking about price (although I was looking at building the hemi for about $6-7k even with a stroker kit $4-5k without), I was pointing out that a 2jz has massive capabilities especially for a 6 cylinder. Also any motor, no matter what it is. If properly built will not scatter it's pieces all over the ground. The modern day hemi is good for about 500hp on stock internals, if you want to go higher than that it's time to put some better parts in the bottom end. Granted you SHOULD know this considering you are all knowing. Not to mention you "apparently" work on these cars all the time. IF a motor is properly researched out, and built you should not have many problems with it. And those problems are more than likely to be troubleshooting. As for building a car with a newer small block costing $65k, I guess it could cost that high.......if you paid someone to do all the work! Putting a newer hemi into my car even with the cost of the build and the fact that most of the parts in my car would be brand new I was only looking at a $35k build. And that is for getting the car exactly as I would want it, money not being an option.

Don't know who you've been talking too, or where you get your knowledge but it is obvious to me that some of your info is definitely off.

This part here, is just for you :D

Game over, thanks for playing!

*Edit* I find it interesting that you didn't bring up any of the failing points I had for the big blocks. Just attacked what you thought were problems with the newer small blocks. Honestly surprised that you haven't pointed out how well big blocks handle, or how light they are (must barely weigh 12 lbs!) or the fact that they leave plenty of room in the engine bay, making them easier to work on than small blocks.

Lets face it, you have a preference. I have a preference, everyone has their own preferences. Trying to force opinions on other people simply doesn't work, as I think we have proved here. People can build what they want for the reasons they want to build it. It's not our place to condemn them for it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011 - 04:00:12 AM by aris_unlimited »
Cuda is gone :(

74 satellite, daily driver/project now

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2011 - 10:40:11 AM »
OK Let's play nicely here boys!    :nono:

Offline joelson6

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2011 - 10:29:40 PM »
this has kind of morphed into small block - big block, which is better.

not................................... 340 owners...are you happy with your engine choice?

and with that question, everyone's answer is going to be an opinion, and just that, their opinion. not which is better.

hey, i think all we were really looking for here is ....are YOU happy with YOUR choice. 
i like reading what others have to say about THEIR choice. i gave my opinion. keep them coming.  :cooldancing:

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2011 - 10:45:48 PM »

:2thumbs: 

i agree its been proven OVER and OVER and over  :faint:  a . .............. street engine is what it is  no matter what cubic inch it is or how many cylinders a street engine ..... TO ANSWER THE FIRST POST  yes a 340 is a great choice and no its not a chevy 350 NOWHERE NEAR!
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline MOPAR FANATIC

• Resident
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2011 - 11:36:21 AM »
 :bigsmile: Small block - big block,it just doesn't really matter as long as it's a MOPAR.  :2thumbs:
I have owned and driven many big block mopars in my time but have not owned a small block,MY 71 Challenger i have now is a 340 and i'm waiting myself to see if the way i'm building it, if it will have enough power for my taste.i have driven many small block mopars and if you build them right their plenty quick enough for me.  :burnout:

i'll have to see exactly what i all have done and what parts i have gotten for my 340,it's been a few years and i jumped the gun and put my 340 to a short block at this time.going have to tear it down again cause it's been on an engine stand in the garage covered and now it'd very hard to turn over by hand even withouy the heads on  :pullinghair:

see if i can find my buildup and post latter.  :thumbsup:

:cheers:
Dave..................
71 Challenger 340 a/t
2013 Plum Crazy Hemi R/T 6SPD

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2011 - 11:50:29 AM »
One of my first cars was a 68 Formula S Cuda , it had a spun rod brg when I bought it so I pulled the engine & fixed the problem & installed a Hemi grind Mopar cam , the old 471 lift cam not available anymore , & threw it back together , it was a LOT faster than I expected & a blast to drive .
 Was I happy with it .... Umm YEAH

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t