Author Topic: 340 owners...are you happy with your engine choice?  (Read 19085 times)

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
Re: 340 owners...are you happy with your engine choice?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011 - 08:15:23 PM »
I wouldn't build a 340 unless it has 4" crank in it and Edel heads.  e-bodies are heavy and need TORQUE!
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011 - 08:35:34 PM »
I am a small block mopar guy and you will only get out of it,what you put into it.
I feel that my 69 Cuda has all the WOW factor I need when I pop the hood.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011 - 08:47:35 PM »
I love the look of those intakes, Clown. There's one on ebay now, but he wants my firstborn for it. Do you think they make a difference, as opposed to the really long cross ram runners that were on the 413s?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline pilotusmc

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011 - 08:56:44 PM »
I  owned  a  19780  340  Challenger  in  college....It  would  eat  up a   396  Chevelle  and  a   390  Mustang....

Offline mcgheejt

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011 - 09:42:22 PM »
I am very happy with my 340.  I like the way it handles, the gas mileage, and the overall drive.  I do wish I could get the carburator running a little better. 

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011 - 04:10:23 AM »
If the bottom end is built for it (forged & relatively low compression), then you could always make it "whistle" at the other cars as you go flying by them once these little things kick in. :biggrin:  In all honestly, a nicely built & well-tuned 340 can hold its own against the larger displacement engines & still get the wow factor after popping the hood.  I've been behind a 340-6/4-speed in a T/A & a nicely built 340 in a '72 Duster & they both were about as quick as the mildly-built 440-6 in a '70 Roadrunner.  My big plan with mine is to stroke it, keep the compression right around 8.0:1, & do some extensive fabrication to put a set of turbos on it. :naughty:  I figure if my V-6 with itty-bitty twins can make a heavy car be quick, then a nicely built, stroker 340 with some larger ones will make it a monster! :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011 - 04:13:02 AM by Street_Challenged73 »
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011 - 08:23:54 AM »
I have a pretty stock '72 340. It's balanced and got a Air-Gap intake. In everyday use it is a good engine, but I would like it to have a litle more power. I've never had a timing mark on it, so It would never be on the sweet spot. But one summer I nailed it, it reved like crazy and I nailed the carb too. changed from a 750 to a 650. I smoked a SRT-10 RAM on the 1/8 mile. That's a heavy truck, but it still has 500+ hp. Car ran like crazy in that event. 340s need the revs to go, where as the 440 has the tire smoking grunt to win your traffic light drags vs the TT Supra.
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline NCtrueconservative

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011 - 10:23:54 AM »
well sounds like most people enjoy their 340!  Sounds like a good street romping engine.  Mine is bored .60 over and I had someone tell me that made it a 447, close to a 448...is that right?? It seemed a little big to me, but who knows.  I'll take all the displacement i can get  :D
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye (pictured), 340, Slap Stick

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

Offline polarbear123

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011 - 10:40:07 AM »
[
well sounds like most people enjoy their 340!  Sounds like a good street romping engine.  Mine is bored .60 over and I had someone tell me that made it a 447, close to a 448...is that right?? It seemed a little big to me, but who knows.  I'll take all the displacement i can get  :D

That would be more like a 348

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011 - 11:27:45 AM »
70-340 mopar purple cam, air gap intake, edelbrock 650 carb car sounds nice and the higher the revs, the scarier fast I go

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011 - 01:28:47 PM »
I don't think 4:10 is to much for a 340. I'm running 4:89's in my Challenger. With a 4k stall converter it launches pretty well.
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011 - 01:39:48 PM »
I dont have a 340, but I have a tweaked-up 318....purple cam, ede intake, dougs headers, 650 ede carb, etc.  Its in the same small block family so I'll chime in anyways with my random thoughts.   :stirpot:   LOL   :bigsmile:

This is the perpetual pissing match that always seems to pop up.   Truth is , there is NO answer guys.

Its all opinions....no factual "one is always better than another" answer, no matter what anyone tells ya.  Someone who has owned only a big block or made the switch to one will say the BB is better.  Someone who has owned only SB cars or has switch to SBs will say SB is best.

Asking this question is like asking what is better -- blond, brunette or redhead?  Unless you can have all three at once, you have to pick one you like the best. There are SO many variables.

Truth is, we all think what we have is better than what someone else has for whatever reasons unless we are unhappy with it.  Its how we validate our choices.

But lets get one thing said right up front.

No doubt, that if you have a big block at a car cruise or event, you get more "respect" than small blocks, right or wrong.  And the folks with the big H, well, they are crowned kings as soon as the hood pops and people see those valve covers.

Right or wrong, that is what it is.

But the old "no replacement for displacement" is not exactly science either.   More of a general statement, and it really only holds true in drag racing scenarios IMHO.

Clifford sells (sold?) products to increase the power for 6 bangers for years...their slogan was "6=8". And many people were very happy with their stuff.  That company showed that displacement wasnt always king.

Current example - My wife's 2011 Mustang has a 3.7 v6 that will outrun previous year Mustang v8s (been there, done that....dont tell the wife).  Her car would clean my fish's clock on a roadrace just from the benefit of the handling alone. And I would put it up against most cars on this forum.  Its that impressive. And that is a STOCK v6.

Its all relative.  Type of "race", conditions, driver, whats been done to the motor, how much weight the motor is dragging around,  etc etc etc etc

And dont forget, you can get more displacement out of a small block without the added pounds of making the block bigger just by stroking it.

My 318 with all its goodies on it isnt the most powerful engine out there.  But it gets around pretty good. People hear it and cant believe its "only a 318!?!?" Of course we all always want "more" dont we?.  Aside from my wanting more low end off the line, its really way more than anyone needs for the street these days.

It has great power up top and revs high.

It does so good up high I am having a hard time considering a stroker smallblock to replace it.  If it was running crappy it would be much easier to decide...LOL

But ok--back to e-bodies.

Yeah, the ebody is a heavy car.  And having extra umph down low is good.

But the extra weight of a BB is more weight to move too....that affects mileage as well, if you care at all about that. 

I get 10-12 mpg around town and 14-16 highway believe it or dont, and my foot is always in it. 3.55s out back, with a "heavy" 727 trans.

You need to decide what kind of "fun" you are looking for....some folks like to drive fast on the empty back roads and hug the corners and some like to drag race and go perfectly straight as fast as they can at the track. 

No matter how stiff a torsion bar you throw at the ebody, the front end will always behave differently with a big block versus a small.  Added weight means more weight to push around those corners, when the laws of physics kick in.    And the downside to the stiffer suspension will be crummy comfort on average roads.

If you are drag racing and only worried about going straight and having the bragging rights to beating the other car by a tenth of a second, and dont care abot getting 2 gallons to the mile, maybe the big block is an advantage for sure.  But I am not so sure that alone means the BB is "the only choice".

If you want to do nothing but torch your tires at every red light, low end is what you want. But how often do you want to shred the tires?

Can a big block car be modified to handle in the curves? Of course.

And a small block can be modified to put out 500 lb ft if torque.

Both cost $$$$.

But in the end, I think the only way to answer this question would be "choose whatever poison works best for you. "

Ok, I think I have stirred the pot long enough....LOL   :stirpot:  Someone else's turn now...LOL

Offline joelson6

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011 - 05:33:43 PM »
when the 340 was in my '72, i put it on a scale and it came up 3540. that's bone stock with A/C and all cast iron inc. 4 speed

when i changed to the 440, after i was done i went back to the scale and it was 3460.

but, the 440 had an aluminum diet and the A/C was gone. still had iron heads. but i'm pretty sure
if i did the same thing to a 340, it could have been in the 3300's. damn, you guys got me thinking
about doing a small block now. i have a nice 360 in the back garage  :grinyes:

Offline bandt

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011 - 09:30:41 PM »
I bought my car with the drivetrain already in it. 73 340, 20 over, stock J heads with the small valves, Purple cam, air gap intake, headers, 727, 4:10's. Suppose to be a 3000 stall, in this car its more like 2500.
I'm sure the carb could be tuned better but its not fast off idle. Not going to be beating much from a stop light. Once the rpms come up its not bad. I wish it was faster it looks and sounds fast but IMO comes up short where it counts. I realize tuning is a big part of it and maybe I haven't hit it yet.
I really wish I could boil the tires with no break but right now it takes a lot of rpm footbreaking and still isn't very impressive. I'm not bashing the 340 I've heard its a great little motor. I think I just gotta keep working on it.

Brian

Offline AARCUDADEN

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011 - 12:00:40 AM »
When I ran my 340 I had fun with it until I got my ass handed to me by a mildly built 440. With a 340, Most seem to almost inevidably try and "prove" something to the BB folks and some actually do with high dollar stroker engines, but most get tired of being beat by a mild "Crusier" Big Block on the street. I gotta friend that ALWAYS tells me how he can't fathom how his little "Record holding, swingin' oil pick-up, roller valvetrained, high compression 340 gets beaten by 5.0 liter mustangs. I always have the same reply...."you gotta get past that "All motor" crap and start bombin' that 340, or you will always be behind"....

It really does kill me, and I have to laugh at the "Handling=340, Racing=440" crap flying round. Everybody knows there are WAY stiffer torsion bars to help the 440 drive right around a 340 on any day on any road course...The 440 however offers a much more broader torque band. The 340 is kinda "peaky" to me...Once you get the lighter engine components in and ON the 440, you have rotating assys today that weigh the same if not LESS than the 340. So, with all this, the 440 will come out on top, but the 340 is a good little engine as long as you know it limits.

On the other hand, if you buy into all the hype of "Them little 340's were some badass engines" your destined to run up on a Big block that will out handle you, out run you, and basically, out shine you come show day as well...I guess it really depends on how you rebuilt your 340 as to how much power it really makes and how "Satisfied" you will be with it...As stated, a 400 HP 340 will work great for a crusier...
Cooter, i agree with you to an extent but most of what you say is bull my  :2cents:
Dennis,Ohio