Author Topic: survivor pictures wanted  (Read 1115 times)

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
survivor pictures wanted
« on: August 25, 2011 - 01:21:38 PM »
I'd like to get the engine compartment details right on my 73 Challenger.  I've got some survivor pictures of a 74 but havn't been able to find any of a 73.  Specifically I'd like pictures of 318 cars although 340 cars would also net some similar details.  There is a member here who said his dad has a survivor 73 Challenger and he would get some pictures for me.  That never materialised.

Specifically, I'd like to see the vacume hose routing and if the hoses have any markings/strips on them.  Were all the water pump bolts installed when the engine was painted...then taken out to install the Alt/PS brackets and reinstalled?(have blue paint on them or just phosphated)  Also, things like paint markings on upper shock  studs, any firwall markings or booster markings exc...

I've not seen any 72-74 E-bodies with painted negative cables but have seen other years that did.  What is the correct plating for some of the carb linkage...specifcally the kickdown linkage piece on the carb?(silver zinc?)

So, basically I need to see survivor pictures or pictures of unmolested engine compartments before restoration began.  Thanks

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: survivor pictures wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011 - 11:18:52 PM »
There's debate on if early 73 small blocks came with black or orange plug wires.  I've heard that the wires should be orange by 73 however I've seen a few pictures of cars with black wires.(with orange boots)  One person I talked to said black wires are correct for a 73.  Another person said the orange wires started showing up late in 71 when the 340's got electronic ignition so 73 should be orange.  Anyone have pictures of a 318 that still has its origianl plug wires on it?

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011 - 07:09:22 AM »
have you seen this early photo brother hooD posted of his 340? still has painted bypass hose, a pretty sure sign of the early age as those seemed to fail quickly, at least mine did. 

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=38653.msg658476#msg658476
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011 - 07:11:01 AM by Bullitt- »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011 - 09:33:32 AM »
Yes, I've got those pictures.  That's what got me asking questions about the wire color.  I've got one other picture that is supposed to be of a 73 318.  It also shows black wires.  I don't know if they are the original ones though.  I'm going to e-mail the guy and find out.

The father of a guy I used to be friends with has a 73 Chrager survivor that he bought brand new.  It has 50,000 miles and still has the original tires on it.  I thought about trying to contact him about getting some pictures but it might be wiered hearing from someone his son lost contact with 10 years ago.