Author Topic: Initial timing and best vacuum?  (Read 924 times)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
Initial timing and best vacuum?
« on: August 27, 2011 - 01:47:32 PM »
I think I have read this in the past, I know there are a lot of variables in determining best initial timing for an engine, but can I set the initial timing by getting the highest vacumme.

Is there such a thing as to much initial timing.

Thansk,

Jason
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Initial timing and best vacuum?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011 - 02:01:12 PM »
I never heard of vacuum readings being effected by timing. But maybe I'm out of the loop.   :lol:

You can have too much initial timing for sure. Most people are 14* to 16* before top dead center I'd imagine.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011 - 02:28:11 PM »
It depends on the combination , a lot of race cars have no curve , they set the timing at 36* - 38* & that is it , most have a start retard to get the engine running & as soon as the starter circuit is released it returns to 38* .
 for street use you can have a lot of initial timing & yes vacuum will rise usually RPM also but past 20* it will usually get grumpy about starting easily the other thing that happens is you need to get inside the dist & modify the slots [I weld them] so the curve doesn't exceed 38* with RPM 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Talkwrench

• Perth, Western Australia
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011 - 08:56:38 PM »
This is basically it . assuming the motor stock[ish] is in good condition and mixtures etc are fine. Hook up a vacuum gauge and as you advance the dissy the vacuum should rise and at its highest point you then turn the dissy back, come back 1 1/2 to 2 inches of vacuum and thats it. You'll be suprised at how close it is, I did it and when I checked my total advance [no vac connected to dissy] it went to 36 degrees. Your initial timing will be ... whatever.. ?
"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011 - 09:08:34 PM »
it is possible too much initial timing can cause worse response at lower RPM , 16-18 at idle seem to be about right

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t