Author Topic: LCA Pin is loose on one side of the k frame  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Kevin71

LCA Pin is loose on one side of the k frame
« on: August 29, 2011 - 10:32:50 PM »
I am rebuilding the front end and put new LCA pins in .  On the driver side it moves maybe a 1/32 of a inch up and down and all around.  The passanger side was snug and didin't move at all.  This is before tightening them down.  Would this cause a vibration or wheel shaking.  It doesn't seem correct to me.  Also what is the fix.  Do I have to get a new k frame?  I had some vibration problems before I started.  But most of it was corrected with balancing the drive shaft.  But I was replacing the motor and thought while am there I might as well redo the front busings, ball joints, LCA pins.  Also I think some of the vibration I was getting was from the transmission rubbing the floor board.  I have put a 5 speed tremec in.  So when I pulled the engine I have pounded the floor out so there is enough room for the trans.  I have the engine out right now and would hate to have to pull it again to change all this.

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
Re: LCA Pin is loose on one side of the k frame
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011 - 11:21:22 PM »
should be tight like the other side if you are useing rubber upper and lower. :2thumbs:
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011 - 12:28:39 AM »
you need to find out if the pin is undersized for some reason or if the K frame is damaged , I would think you could make a sleeve to get the pin tight but it would have to be tack welded into place or ti will slide up the pin

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011 - 05:36:19 PM »
is the pin moveing in the LCA or where it bolts to the k member
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011 - 05:43:59 PM »
I have seen the sleeve in the K frame break away from the K frame also

Offline Kevin71

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011 - 10:30:03 AM »
When I slid the pin into the k frame.  It had a some movement as compared to the other side not moving at all.  I am using poly bushings.  I put my finger in the k frame and it didn't seem to move indicating the sleave was loosse.  But once I put the LCA on and tightend eithering up it doesn't seem to move but maybe there is not enough pressure on it with everything else connected.  However, once you start going down the road 70-80 mile a hour or around turns at 25 maybe it would.  Also with the poly bushings it might amplfy any minor problems  where as rubber bushings may absorb minor differences.  Firm feel says I ought to weld the lip and then grind back down until the pin fits in snug.  Thats a little out of my league.  Don't weld and I think getting ground down just right would be difficult.  I am not sure what to do.  I hate to buy a k frame but I would hate worse to have to replace latter. 
  Is there anywhere to buy k frames other than firm feel.  I know firm feel sells a reinforced one for $450, but I really don't need reinforced.  Oh the pins are new from firm feel. 

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011 - 11:26:13 AM »
Crap! If we lived closer I'd say bring it over and we'll get it done!  :pullinghair:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Kevin71

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011 - 12:40:29 PM »
Do you think I could take the k frame out and take it to a machine shop have this done.  Would they know what to do with it.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011 - 01:38:12 PM »
removing the K frame is relatively easy as long as the engine is not in the car , I did one where the sleeve was loose in the car , we removed the lower control arm & repaired the sleeve .
 I guess it depends what you want to do & the budget you have , There are a number of companies making tubular K frames if you want to do that , there are usually decent used K frames availabel if you want to swap it out .

Offline Kevin71

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011 - 02:04:09 PM »
Who makes tublar k frames.  Typically I see RMS and you have use all there control arms.  Firm feel has got a renforced frame for $450.  If I got a used one I'm concerned it may have a similar problem.  I wouldn't know until I recieved it.  And what would a use frame cost?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011 - 02:07:24 PM »
Who makes tublar k frames.  Typically I see RMS and you have use all there control arms.  Firm feel has got a renforced frame for $450.  If I got a used one I'm concerned it may have a similar problem.  I wouldn't know until I recieved it.  And what would a use frame cost?
Cap makes one that uses T bars , I am not sure if you can use stock LCA or if you have to use theirs