Author Topic: Challenger carpet question???  (Read 2534 times)

Offline NCtrueconservative

Challenger carpet question???
« on: September 01, 2011 - 02:24:57 PM »
I'm building a weekend cruiser, not a show car, and I need to save every dime I can.  I was wondering about installing carpet in a 73 Challenger (automatic slap stick).  I saw some rolled up replacement black carpet in walmart, and what I was wondering is there anyway I can put that down and it look halfway decent?  Or do I need to suck it up and get the pre molded carpet?  My worry would be getting the wal mart carpet to bend the way I needed it to over those humps.  But if it can be done, by putting some mat on the floorpans or something before, I would like to do it.  I can hardly stomach paying over 100 bucks for pre molded carpet, but it may be the only way.  Thats what I need your guys help on.  And yes I know I may get some replies like "why would you ever put anything from Walmart in a challenger" and blah blah blah ;)  the thing is, if it looks decent, especially a thing like the carpet, its good enough for the car I'm building.  Appreciate all your guys help!!
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye (pictured), 340, Slap Stick

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: Challenger carpet question???
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011 - 02:50:14 PM »
It'll probably look pretty bad. Carpet supplied for a specific car will be molded to match the contours of your floorpans. If you use regular carpet, you either won't have that molding, or you'll have to spend a lot of time (like days) getting it to contour.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline NCtrueconservative

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011 - 03:00:33 PM »
yeah thats what i was thinking....is there any kind of mat or anything you can put under the carpet on the floorpans to kind of level it out, to where your only real "hump"would be your tranny tunnel?
1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye (pictured), 340, Slap Stick

1998 Dodge Ram, 5.2, Black, tinted windows, dual exhaust, blackout headlights, tailights

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011 - 03:19:19 PM »
I guess that depends on what you're calling a real hump. There are some areas with about 5 inches or so of difference, and that's enough to keep the carpet from laying flat. And then all that padding would be absorbing moisture as well.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011 - 03:41:51 PM »
Replacement carpet really is pretty cheap? I'm no milioniare either so I hear what your saying but I don't think the Walmart carpet will look very good!
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011 - 03:46:44 PM »

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011 - 03:47:34 PM »
  even those pre shaped carpets aren`t very easy to install without wrinkles.  Flat carpet will not go in without cuts.
*** Bart ***

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011 - 06:02:32 PM »
new carpet 140.00 + ups
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011 - 06:25:14 PM »
That's a good deal. Pretty close to what I paid 20 years ago. Can you get non-original colors?

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011 - 07:36:40 PM »
Back in 1983 we had a barracuda that needed black carpet JC Whitney had a roll
It fit great. All of the edges are covered with all of the interior parts. Use a hair dryer to soften the backing.
Try PEP BOYS or one of the other auto stores for it.
Search the internet for local auto stores it maybe available....

Gran Coupe Convertible

1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011 - 07:42:59 PM »
new carpet 140.00 + ups

Yep  ...........a good price.  It isn't easy to install even moulded.......but if you get flat then you will have a bunch of wrinkles trying to cover the hump and then go up the firewall.   Now the back.........well and I mean "well" will be a huge problem.   
Dave or David

Offline mopardave

• Sponsor
  • Resident
  • 1973 Challenger F8 in and out, 68 383,727 3.23 pos
    • rosevillemoparts
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011 - 08:00:04 PM »
That's a good deal. Pretty close to what I paid 20 years ago. Can you get non-original colors?

there is an aray of colors, just depends if they have the dye or material?
Mopar Dave
Rosevillemoparts.com

if I haven't replied to your post or PM email me direct    dradcliffe@mikeriehls.com

70 FK5 Challenger RT/SE
70 FC7 70 Road Runner - Sold
71 FM3 Challenger RT
71 Cuda (in process for restoration)
73 F8 Challenger
1990 XJ - sold
2000 Dakota Quad Cab
2010 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd - sold
2015 Ram Crew Cab 2500 4wd Black Out

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011 - 09:08:58 AM »
I'm building a weekend cruiser, not a show car, and I need to save every dime I can.  ....  And yes I know I may get some replies like "why would you ever put anything from Walmart in a challenger" and blah blah blah ;)

I hear where you are coming from as far as saving money.  I had a similar idea and got a role of blue carpet that "looked" decent from Costco (like BJ's Warehouse).  I haven't tried it as of yet, bought it like 3 years ago and it's still in the basement.  I might be able to save the rear carpet to save some headache.  (Floor mats cover most of it anyhows and who will see back there?  :dunno:

Figured that's what we did in the 70's, right?  :screwy:  :grinyes:  Besides, it'll look "good" with the shag carpet on my dash!  :roflsmiley:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger