I want to mount my EFI fuel pump in tank

Author Topic: I want to mount my EFI fuel pump in tank  (Read 1202 times)

Offline rockymopar

I want to mount my EFI fuel pump in tank
« on: September 04, 2011 - 08:32:46 PM »
I have been seeing a lot of EFI fuel pump question here lately. I was wondering if anybody has mounted a pump in a stock tank sucessfully. This would insure practically 100% fuel pickup with no running dry and no cavitation, and a submerged pump will last longer and be a heck of a lot quieter. I was thinking about getting a submersible pump and just attaching it to the end of the stock fuel tank sending unit via hose, or possibly flare fittings. this is possible. The hard part is the wiring passing thru the sending unit and sealing it up. You can also get a new sending unit with a return line built in for around $40.00 on ebay, which is what I have been using already, or  maybe use a pump with a built in regulator so that there is only one line to run with no return necessary, like most brand new cars. I have not had a bit of trouble with a frame rail mounted pump, but I understand its limitations and know that this setup probably wont let the pump live for 150000 miles. So any ideas? I am especially interested in  fuel proofing the wires. Sparks and gas dont play nice together

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline rockymopar

Re: I want to mount my EFI fuel pump in tank
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011 - 06:28:23 AM »
Thanks, I hope everybody with EFI reads the article you posted. That may be a winter weekend project for my car

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011 - 09:23:27 AM »
Another option would be a drop in mod kit like that sold by Rock Valley as an addition to the fuel tanks they sell. 

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011 - 08:05:52 PM »
I used a kit from Tanks inc. for my efi conversion http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=84/category_id=61/home_id=61/mode=prod/prd84.htm

I cut the top out of a new Tank and welded in a the kit it works great.  :cooldancing:

Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...