Author Topic: mini starter applications  (Read 583 times)

Offline burrpenick

mini starter applications
« on: September 05, 2011 - 03:48:56 PM »
A buddy tried  2 Dakota starters on his 73 Cuda 440/AT but they didnt seem to line up. I thought all the smaller units would fit? If  not, what mod needs  done to the bell housing and is there a special yr TRUCK starter that does not need mods to fit a BBlock AT? THanks, George
GEORGE
currently Moparless

Offline quapman

• Resident
    • Auto-Grip on Facebook
Re: mini starter applications
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011 - 05:21:09 PM »
Most of the newer (small) starters have a terminal extension. Remove (snap off) the plastic cover and it should be able to be easily eliminated. It can be left in place for a small block.

I've had to cut the big terminal short to keep it from touching the block on one 400 application.

99-later starters have a snap-in plug arrangement which won't work in the older vehicles.
My name is Steve and I'm addicted to Challengers...

Offline Skunkworks Challenger

• Mopars forever!
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011 - 08:41:07 PM »
Most of the newer (small) starters have a terminal extension. Remove (snap off) the plastic cover and it should be able to be easily eliminated. It can be left in place for a small block.

I tried removing the terminal extension because it was hitting the block.  The problem I encountered then was that the large and small connection reversed positions and my wiring cable would not fit.  I didn't want to modify or change the cable so I abandoned the project. PK

The Brewmaster

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011 - 09:38:55 AM »
the cable will fit , you have to roll it over & the terminals will flex enough to fit on the terminals , or you can cut into the rubber end on the cable & separate the 2 wires

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t