Author Topic: Drilling through the trunk above gas tank...  (Read 2656 times)

Offline jforest1

Re: Drilling through the trunk above gas tank...
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011 - 11:56:34 PM »
Alright, I'm sufficiently scared.  I think I'm going to remove the tank and have yet another learning experience... ::)

At least then I'll know what I'm working with and don't have to worry about drilling too deep.

JF
'73 Cuda 340 Slapstick, A727 Torqueflite Transmission, Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 1806, Vintage Air Gen IV A/C system

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011 - 12:02:31 AM »
Good call!!

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011 - 12:05:52 AM »
Although you can loosen the tank straps unbolt and unfasten the fuel line from the body put some lube on the filler neck slide the tank down a bit then you will have more clearance to drill.

Offline PlumCraZRT

• My Challenger's Crappy Website
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011 - 02:54:59 AM »
I agree you can probably drill through with a depth gauge set on your bit that wont allow it to go beyond a mm or so past the sheetmetal, which is probably about 1-2mm thick. Goes without saying...drill lightly and very carefully. But first confirm you do have the insulation sheet on top of the tank. There is also a pair of trunk braces that the tank presses up against which should give you the space you need, but....who knows how your tank is installed? Many cars contain surprises if you know what I mean.
Heres a picture of mine when I cleaned up in that area and replaced my tank last year.

I would just drill through where the trunk braces are and cherry (or pop, but pop is weak) rivet the thing into place.

FYI there are plenty of aerospace glues that should be able to hold the thing just fine.  Hysol EA9394?  Might be expensive though.
mmmmm.... Mopar.... *drool*

Offline jforest1

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011 - 11:23:07 AM »
Speaking of riveting and aerospace glue, here's a vintage riveting video I found amusing:

JF
'73 Cuda 340 Slapstick, A727 Torqueflite Transmission, Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 1806, Vintage Air Gen IV A/C system

Offline jforest1

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011 - 01:36:31 PM »
Gas tank is off!  Getting the filler neck out was a bit stubborn at first but then I decided "F-it" and used the old, if-it-won't-give-it-up-then-force-it method.

Discovered all the lines connected to the vapor separator and fuel gauge were in bad shape so need to replace them.

The step the maintenance manual DIDN'T mention was to remove the rear panel under the bumper, which only became obvious after several failed attempts to get a wrench on the strap J-bolts and I took a step back away from the problem and assumed, SURELY they didn't make it so only a smurf could work on it!

So it's all good, don't think I'll have too much trouble getting it all back on.  Thanks for the advice guys!

JF

Offline tommyg29

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011 - 05:50:07 PM »
putting it back together will be easier.
That panel you refer to is the valance
72 Roadrunner 400-4 Auto-3.23 Gear-Black Cruiser
71 Cuda 440-6 Tribute-Limelight-A833 Close Ratio-4 Sp-Pistol Grip-Dana 3.54 Powr Lok-Rally Dash-Shaker (Sold)
92 Dodge Stealth RT-Twin 15g Turbos-SAFC2 Tuned-Mystic Blue-5 Sp-AWD-Rear Wheel Steering-AutoX'r (Sold)
12 Dodge Charger SXT Plus Blacktop Package-3.6L-8 Sp-Leather-Nav (the wife's)

Multiple SRT's, Rams, Dakotas, Caravans and Neons

...the lines on the road just look like dots!....

Offline jforest1

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011 - 12:47:06 PM »
Indeed it will.  Here's how it works with me.

1.  First time taking something off/disssembly - takes forever.
2.  Reassembly takes a long time
3.  2nd time disassembly takes very little time.
4.  2nd time reassembly takes a little time.

After that, 3-4 repeat.  I imagine it's the case with most people.

JF

Offline jforest1

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011 - 11:53:02 PM »
 :cheers:

Victory!  Ironically, none of the bolts that I used went through where the gas tank was, but I did learn a lot about that half of the car, including what a valance is...and learned that the maintenance manuals don't always include critical steps.  Also replaced a couple fuel lines that were old and cracked, so that was good.  And I ran out of time, but I plan to take it off again soon to resolve my gas gauge issue.

JF

Offline Gumby

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011 - 07:49:41 AM »
Truth is, these modern day amps are too pretty to hide. I have mine where Challenger6pak suggested though.
You really want to see beauty, check out www.ampguts.com
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne