Author Topic: fuel pump woes  (Read 1015 times)

Offline ragtopman

fuel pump woes
« on: September 12, 2011 - 08:49:08 PM »
Ok, I have taken out the fuel pump push rod(440 CID) and its 1/16th of an inch shy of the given length of 3 1/4 inches. Is that enough to not get fuel to the carb. because if its not, the lobe on the cam may be gone cause it's a new fuel tank, sender and pump(it sat 17 years and what a stinky mess). Is there any way to check the lobe without pulling the cam?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: fuel pump woes
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011 - 08:56:14 PM »
if you put your finger against the pushrod & crank the engine of with the coil unplugged you will feel it push in & out
What is the condition of the pump itself ?

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ragtopman

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011 - 07:06:13 PM »
if you put your finger against the pushrod & crank the engine of with the coil unplugged you will feel it push in & out
What is the condition of the pump itself ?

new tank, sender and pump. Wit hthe pump installed, I can pull the set screw out and see the pump arm move back and forth, but it doesnt seem like alot of movement.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011 - 07:13:44 PM »
All I can say is with a full length pushrod, the fuel pump is a pain to install. Mine was worn down 1/8" and the pump went in easy. That was great until I had to get towed home because of no fuel pressure.    :stomp:

Really, what I learned was the most fuel pump shot is at the end of the travel of the pushrod.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011 - 11:11:12 PM »
Try using a 2"long stud that you thread in to the inr bolt hole, then slide the pump on the stud and up against the push rod and that'll keep it from jumping around while you thread in the outer bolt and snug it. Remove the stud and put in the other bolt. Minimum of cussing req'd.  :2cents:

Offline ragtopman

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011 - 07:12:23 PM »
Try using a 2"long stud that you thread in to the inr bolt hole, then slide the pump on the stud and up against the push rod and that'll keep it from jumping around while you thread in the outer bolt and snug it. Remove the stud and put in the other bolt. Minimum of cussing req'd.  :2cents:

But that still doesnt get any fuel from the tank to the carb., not unless I am missing something here. :clueless:

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011 - 07:17:49 PM »
block it off install a electric pump done . mor power everyone is happy
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline ragtopman

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011 - 07:57:26 PM »
Is it possible to get a picture of ther inlet and outlet hooked up to a 383/440 fuel pump?   :clueless:   :pullinghair: I think my cam lobe is flat.  :swear: :swear:

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011 - 08:49:06 PM »
if the cam lobe is flat for the pump remove the rod and pump . buy a block off and install a good electric .
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline femtnmax

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011 - 09:11:11 PM »
 :iagree:
With today's pump gasoline, and if you let the car sit for a week or longer, an electric pump helps to prime the fuel system so you don't have to crank crank crank on the starter to send fuel to the carb.  Also think of the beating flat tappet cam lobes take with all that cranking and no oil splash.
Moroso makes a good electric pump, has internal regulator.
Phil

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011 - 09:21:11 PM »
if you have anything for a pinhole in the suction line it will suck the lighter air instead of fuel

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t