Author Topic: My car overheats when it idles to long having another issue.  (Read 3283 times)

Offline torqueaddict

My car overheats when it idles to long having another issue.
« on: September 13, 2011 - 12:35:42 PM »
Guys I am having a few issues with me car. first off my car overheats when it idles in traffic to long. I think its because I have the stock radiator and fan setup, I may need an electric fan and aluminum radiator. If thats the case is that kind of a setup expensive, and any suggestions on where to go? Secondly I noticed that when I drive at high speeds my car backfires. Everything within my drivetrain is new or has been rebuilt so I am stumped on this one. Maybe its something with me carburator of fuel delivery system. Is this a major problem and can it harm my engine? Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
1972 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O) 1970 clone

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
Re: My car overheats when it idles to long having another issue.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011 - 12:55:07 PM »
Back firing sounds like you need to address the timing/and or the fuel system.BOTH can make one run hot...
"New or replaced" don't mean sh*t anymore..Treat EVERYTHING like it's 30 years old...
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011 - 01:02:45 PM »
I can guarantee you if your car runs hot now an Alum rad with Electric fans will only make it run hotter
 the electric fans do not move as much air as a good 6-7 blade fan on a clutch hub will .
 missing at high RPM is usually overadvanced timing , I would just dosconnect the vacuum advance & see if that helps

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline torqueaddict

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011 - 01:34:46 PM »
I can guarantee you if your car runs hot now an Alum rad with Electric fans will only make it run hotter
 the electric fans do not move as much air as a good 6-7 blade fan on a clutch hub will .
 missing at high RPM is usually overadvanced timing , I would just dosconnect the vacuum advance & see if that helps

The car only runs hot while its sitting still for a duration it mainly happens in traffic. And what is the vacuum advance?

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011 - 01:42:22 PM »
Have to agree with Neil.  Electric fans never seem to work as good as a heavy duty 7 blade clutch fan.
Do you have a fan shroud? Have somebody check the timing (initial and total) if you
don't know how. Vacuum advance is the hose going to the distributor. This is what makes the weights for your advance
move.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline torqueaddict

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011 - 02:04:30 PM »
No I dont have  a fan shroud. I didnt know they made that much a difference. Maybe that and changing to a lower temp thermostat. And the timing deals with the firing order am I correct? I know I have an electronic distibuter by mopar, maybe my firing order is off?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011 - 02:38:30 PM »
start with the basics , what engine / water pump do you have
is the T stat a Stant , 180* ?
 have you cleaned the rad out recently ?
 A shroud will  make a big difference as well .
 Which fan set up do you have now ?

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline torqueaddict

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011 - 03:30:57 PM »
Don't know the type of thermostat. I know I need a radiator flush badly. How much are fan shrouds anyway?

Offline JayBee

• Resident
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011 - 03:59:41 PM »
Be careful of the repop shrouds.  Some of them aren't made with the correct plastic and will sag into the fan.  I havn't heard about that happening in the last year or two.  Maybe the problem was fixed...I'd do some research on it though.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011 - 04:31:21 PM »
What size engine, and what size radiator do you have?

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline torqueaddict

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011 - 05:15:30 PM »
I have a 383 and I'm not sure about what size radiator. It may be a smallblock one. Any suggestions on a new radiator and thermostat specs. And where should I purchase them.

Offline Jamiez

• Retro
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011 - 05:37:33 PM »
If you have the broadcast sheet or the fender tag some radiators are listed.  I know a code of 26 is the code for the 26" radiator

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011 - 05:39:30 PM »
If the car stays cool when driving and only gets hot sitting, it usually means that it's an air problem such that you're not moving enough air across the radiator when sitting. So yes a fan shroud will make a big difference. Also how far away from the radiator is the fan? More than 2-3 inches is too much. You may also have a bad fan clutch. Check the flow of water thru the radiator with the cap off. Don't take it off when when the engine is hot, but before it's warmed up and watch to see if you have a good flow volume. A slow moving flow could be an indication of a clogged system. Just a few things to think about. I have an electric fan, but only use it when it's the middle of the summer and I'm stuck in traffic, then I cut it on to supplement the clutch fan. Work pretty well. Sounds like you've got a few things to look at. The first thing I'd do is get a decent fan shroud.  :2thumbs:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011 - 05:44:06 PM »
I have an Allstar rad ( standard stock car stuff) and the Chevy HHR electric fan. ( and a bottle of water wetter or purple ice)It's cheap and works really well IMO. I did have trouble with it once on the way home from Carlisle . I sat idling at a border crossing for about 1 1/2 hours in 90 deg ( plus?) temperatures and no breeze at all. The car was alongside a concreate wall most of the time, and bumper to bumper. It started to overheat after the first hour. I had to pour bottled water ( 2) over the top of the rad to bring the temp down, this lasted for 10 minutes. So I did have to reapeat this 2 more times before we were mobile again. Then no issues at all. 2 summers running this set up and only the one time I just mentioned did I have a problem. I don't know if this is the best solution for cooling but it works for me, it's pretty inexpencive, and I'm happy with it.
http://www.allstarperformance.com/product.htm?prod=312&part=ALL30012&add=no
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php  ( look up 2006 Chevy HHR-cooling system-radiator fan assembly) it's about $50

If I ever do have an issue I'm going to try a triple pass rad?
http://www.allstarperformance.com/product.htm?prod=970
Hope that helps?

Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0