Author Topic: Gas gauge reading 3/4 after fill-up.  (Read 2191 times)

Offline jforest1

Gas gauge reading 3/4 after fill-up.
« on: September 15, 2011 - 01:39:37 PM »
I've got the gas tank off and while I do...

if my fuel gauge is showing 3/4 full right after I've filled up, what's the likely culprit?  Should I be inspecting/adjusting the float in the gas tank as a 1st go of troubleshooting?

How does the console gauge sample the fuel levels?  I assume it's electronic?

JF
'73 Cuda 340 Slapstick, A727 Torqueflite Transmission, Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 1806, Vintage Air Gen IV A/C system

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: Gas gauge reading 3/4 after fill-up.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011 - 01:51:37 PM »
could be the float filled up with gas
*** Bart ***

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011 - 02:15:57 PM »
Check the float first.  These sending units always seem to have problems.  If the float is full of gas, it will stay at the bottom of the tank.  If it is partially filled with gas, it may not rise to the top of its travel.

I was looking at my brand new one a few weeks ago.  You could hear the metal contact on the inside clicking as you moved the arm from empty to full.  About half way through its travel, it stopped clicking...then it started clicking again twards the top.  I took the cover off and bent the contact so it put more pressure on the metal strips inside.  It now clicks all the way through its travel.

I've heard that a lot of the problem is the ground.  The unit grounds through the case where the float arm pivots.   Some people have had luck brazing a ground wire from the float arm to the pickup tube.       
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011 - 02:17:59 PM by burdar »

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011 - 05:17:40 PM »
With the sender out, manually move the float and make sure it will read full also.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011 - 05:51:30 PM »
Check that the resistance is correct

Offline ebodycrazy4ever

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011 - 06:32:01 PM »
This is the most common problem I've had with this car. Make sure there is the small 'ground strap' from the fuel line to the body. Its has 2 small clips on it. If your missing this, I made one using a wire once & this worked for me. Anyhow, it sound like your float might have a tiny hole in it & it has gas inside of it. This could be anywhere on the float, especially around that clip that hold it in place. Better off just replacing it with a new unit. Just like the guys said above, listen inside it to hear the contact rubbing the inside in both directions. One final thing, is your voltage limiter behind your cluster a good one?

Offline jforest1

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011 - 02:10:58 PM »
So...what's the non-specialty tool for getting sending unit out of the tank?  Looks like it requires some kind of specialty tool to spin that thing out.

JF
'73 Cuda 340 Slapstick, A727 Torqueflite Transmission, Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS 1806, Vintage Air Gen IV A/C system

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011 - 02:33:32 PM »
Suggested method is a brass rod to eliminate possibility of sparks, and tap with hammer.
I've always just used a normal straight edge screw driver.

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011 - 09:32:52 PM »
You simply need to "calibrate" the gas sender by bending the float support wire that is probably hitting the top of the tank. Means you have to remove the sender. Also check to see that the guage reaches the full end of the scale first as already suggested with the sender removed.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline willard

• 1970 Challenger R/T
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011 - 08:58:44 AM »
My gauge reads after filling up:
4/4 when key in power on position
3/4 when engine is running  :clueless:
1970 383 R/T SE

Offline ebodycrazy4ever

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011 - 07:00:21 PM »
got a spare dash fuel gauge around? Try that once. Make sure you cluster is securely grounded too. Does the TEMP gauge work fine? :popcorn: