Author Topic: Cr@ppy Chinese Parts!!  (Read 7438 times)

Offline Road_Runner

• Mopar Owner & Standard Bearer Since 1974
Cr@ppy Chinese Parts!!
« on: September 15, 2011 - 10:20:07 PM »
So I was in O'Reillys last night and another customer was trying to buy new disk rotors.  I started listening to what was going on and found out that all of their new 'Chinese made' front rotors came pre-warped from the factory!  What a deal!  So the store was turning them for free for the customer to true them up.  Yeah, good luck with those lasting very long!  I know as a society we've become very accepting of buying cr@ppy Chinese products as long as they're cheap, but new rotors that are warped just seems stupid crazy to me.  As a country, we're going to have to demand quality U.S. made products again, we just have to.

Later, Jim
1970 383 Roadrunner Tor Red
1973 318 Barracuda Mist Green
2014 Mustang GT/CS Convertible All Black

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
Re: Cr@ppy Chinese Parts!!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011 - 10:36:22 PM »
Well, There's a Disc Brake kit on E-Pay right now listed "Buy it now" for $395.00....I can't get junkyard ORIGINAL stuff and rebuild it cheaper than that with AMERICAN parts. How many people do you think will buy that kit over my "Rebuilt" and "Cleaned up" factory stuff? Everytime I get hit with that "Buy American" crap, I just ask whoever's telling me that sh*t, "Where do YOU shop for Groceries?" and the answer is almost ALWAYS the same....

"Wal-Mart", where they hire illeagal Aliens, Pay their workers sh*t, and sell IMPORTED "Chinese Crap"...Yet, you know what's funny? Wal-Mart is the #1 retailer in America and employs ALOT of "Americans"....
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011 - 10:46:10 PM »
What's your point. Should everyone just give up and buy that crap at walmart? I wouldn't shop there to save my own mother. That
place and everything it stands for SUCKS. And yeah, I would pay more for AMERICAN MADE products. Strange that it seems to be
the union people that buy most of the off shore Sh**. That's why they get paid more than the non union guy.
Excuse me while I step down off my soap box now.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011 - 11:14:52 PM »
Wait, so Wal-Mart sells Chinese groceries?

IMHO, we need to move on from wanting "Made in America" to apply to forks and t-shirts. If you look back over time, manufacturing has ALWAYS gone to the cheapest location. Now that it's not us, it's sour grapes.

We need to do what Germany, Japan and even Canada have done...leave behind the simple products and focus on sophisticated items that can't be made in a dirt-floor hut.

The problem is that we have become so lazy and entitled as a society that we're nowhere. Too expensive to make the basics. To uneducated and uncaring to make technology.

I put together a $650,000 project to buy a single piece of equipment. Wanna guess how many "Made in America" options I had?...zero. I bought from Germany...one of the most expensive economies in the world, but their technology is reliable.

We can't compete, but we want to b*tch because no one will buy $15 socks.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011 - 12:06:23 AM »
Canned Mushrooms from China, Pickles from India, Frozen Salmon from China, WTF is going on and wrong with this picture... :22yikes:

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011 - 01:49:25 AM »
we all are guilty and have allowed our government to do this .............
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline joelson6

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011 - 08:00:02 AM »
i need to make up a T-shirt that says.......... You are the problem with this country

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011 - 08:09:21 AM »
I guess my point was this... I am willing to pay a bit more to the local guy making a local product.
I do this to do my part to ensure that our mom & pop stores are still around, that our local machine shops stay around,
that our local farmer will still be able to keep his farm. etc... I believe that if everyone
that could afford to buy locally would do so a little more often, than the financial benefit
would be spread more locally and the profits didn't go into the CEO pockets.

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011 - 08:44:25 AM »
New warped rotors has been an issue for awhile. Yes chinese! I know lots of shop around here that cut "new" rotors before a brake job. My only solution - SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RECYCLER! Buy used OEM!

Yes this was a shameless plug................... sorry
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011 - 08:58:29 AM »
In reguards to rotors.... I learned from the race track I work at ( stock car racing) that the cheap "white box" offshore rotors are junk! PERIOD!  I have seen them break the centers out of them on the track.( street stock division) I often drill them out for 5/8" studs for the racers and can tell as soon as the drill makes contact whether it's offshore or not. It's not just machining tolerances trust me! The material is crap!
If it doesn't say made in Canada or USA on them( cast in on the inside).... THEY DON'T GO ON MY VEHICLES PERIOD!
Gotta admit first reason is safety, second is "chinese crap"

As for the rest of the stuff.... :walkaway:  no pointwe are all "preaching to the choir" 
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011 - 09:10:29 AM »
The problem is it`s too late in most cases are there are no American made options on a lot of things.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline priderocks

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011 - 09:56:01 AM »
 It is pointless to cling to a "only buy American" mentality. There is a lot of stuff still made in America, but you have to make an effort to locate/select it, your selection will be limited, and in all likelihood you will pay more for it. If you are adamant about buying American, then you will never buy another TV, cell phone, computer, or any piece of electronic equipment. You will never buy another new car, and good luck finding clothing made in the USA. There is a ton of other stuff you could add to the list.

Don't start blaming greedy CEO's, EPA regulations, NAFTA, government taxes and regulations, unions, or indifferent selfish consumers. All of these elements play into decisions producers, governments  and consumers make. Depending on your personal experience and political bent you will comfortably select one of these groups and blame them for your woes.

The laws of economics are as inexorable as the law of gravity. If one chooses to remain ignorant of these principles, then you will always be a pawn in the hands of some interest or group. Make the choice. Learn how the world works, and what the future holds (I strongly recommend "The Underground Economist" by Tim Harford- a  laymans great read), or just spend your time watching tv and complaining.

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011 - 10:17:52 AM »
If your remarks were pointed at me, reread my first paragraph. I said I  am willing to pay
more for American made, not only buy American made. And yes , I believe that the choices are more limited, and I will pay more
for it.  But if we dont support our neighbors and what they manufacture (when possible), then who will. I guess
the Gov.will just dole out more for welfare I guess.  People in this country need jobs, and the only way to create and pay for those jobs is to
start spending money on our own economy and not China's.

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011 - 10:19:27 AM »
Sorry if this is getting too political. Didn't mean for that to happen.

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline priderocks

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011 - 10:34:31 AM »
Andy- my comments weren't directed at you- no offense intended.

Mike H