Author Topic: car insurance  (Read 1136 times)

Offline 360`CUDA Jr.

car insurance
« on: September 20, 2011 - 06:29:57 PM »
what is the cheapest company for car insurance if your a teenager that whats a `CUDA xD

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
Re: car insurance
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011 - 06:46:54 PM »
what is the cheapest company for car insurance if your a teenager that whats a `CUDA xD

Hummm don't know now, but in the 80's when I was a teenager I bought my first car. A 73 Challenger with a 318. I paid $2000 for the car, insurance was gonna be $3000 a year for the bare basic's insurance, just enough to get it on the road legally. What I did was put it in my Dad's girlfriends name and was listed as a secondary driver. Total insurance cost was $600 a year.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011 - 06:49:44 PM »
It depends on if this will be your everyday drive or registered as a Classic that only gets driven on occasion.

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011 - 09:33:25 PM »
I believe most if not all specialty insurance companies require a
minimum age of 21 to be insured by them.  :2cents:
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011 - 09:50:16 PM »
I believe most if not all specialty insurance companies require a
minimum age of 21 to be insured by them.  :2cents:

Ya mine has a clause about a minimum of 10 years driving experiance...
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011 - 09:56:34 PM »
Listen to the man. Put it in your old man's name, keep your nose clean until you amass a few years experience and/or turn 25. The alternative- having a sex change- doesn't sit well with most of us. Besides, you'd keep getting your heels caught in the floor mats when power shifting!  :burnout:

Offline johnjessi

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011 - 09:13:21 AM »
Another reason you may want to get  young drivers car insurance  that lasts a day or two is because you need to use someone else's vehicle and your insurance does not cover you. By purchasing temporary car insurance you will get the insurance you need without paying a lot for it.

Offline 360`CUDA Jr.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011 - 05:07:52 PM »
sweet man thanks

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011 - 12:58:31 AM »
Try Broad form insurance.

Viking insurance company of Wisconsin.

Cheap and works with any registered vehicle.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011 - 01:29:13 AM »
I had my 73 Chally on my parents insurance and was a "secondary" driver. $20 a month through State farm

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011 - 08:13:10 AM »
One thing to consider is that "regular" car insurance may not cover a 40 year old car for what you feel it is "worth" on the market.  They will go by blue book.

Specialty insurance coverage does allow for that.

If its a beater , rust bucket Cuda, maybe not an issue.

But if its a restored classic, it would be.

Offline 360`CUDA Jr.

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012 - 05:01:44 PM »
is the general a good insurance company?

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012 - 06:47:40 PM »
not for a classic car.
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t

Offline Gumby

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012 - 07:32:37 PM »
It works out to darned if you do, darned if you don't. As stated above, minimum age or years driving needed for "collector" car insurance like Hagarty, Grundy etc. 1) regular car insurance like state farm, american family, etc. Will usually NOT insure for AGREED VALUE. There are little if any restrictions - but when something happens, and you have it insured for, say $25,000, they will come back and say - oh no - you are out of your mind. That's a forty year old car. We will give you $1500.00 for it. Drive it all you want, but we ain't paying a dime if something happens 2) Specialty companies say they will insure at AGREED VALUE (an important term learn what it means) but they restrict you such as never being left unattended. No parking in your driveway over night. No errands, no meals at a restaurant, no grocery shopping or movies. Unlimited coverage to and from car shows or club related events, if at a car show must be next to the car at all times to deter vandalism, no driving to work, milage restrictions of about 2,000 to 3,000 a year, no other drivers, no one under 18, no driving to your friends house to watch him wrench on his 69 camero - but it's ok if you drive to a friends house to work on your car, must have a locked enclosure to store it in... on and on. Oh "But we want you to enjoy you're car" ROFLMAO. yeah enjoy it just don't drive it. It really is a sucky situation. Garage queen or theif bait with no recompensens. And before anyone starts yapping about how they have AGREED VALUE with state farm or whatever - I will almost bet you $100 dollars that is NOT the case. READ the policy carefully or take it to a laywer to have it deciphered for you. Just what I've found so far. My  :2cents: :2cents: By the way, if you have an accident or something and have it insured under someone else, and it is a large claim, I almost gaurentee you the insurance company will have an investigator checking out how much you did drive it and they can deny claim for fraud or even sue you for misrepresentation.   
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne

Offline Gumby

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012 - 07:56:47 PM »
Just remember, the insurance agent is not your friend. He is an agent of the company. His sole purpose is to make that company money. He does nor represent you. He represents the company. He does not exist to help you, he is there to make the company money. No matter what he says or promises - unless you have it in writing, he is the companies property. He knows the policy inside and out, and will neglect to tell you things to save the company money. It's not his fault if you are to stupid or lazy to understand the policy. That's why Hagarty ticked me off so much. Call them up with a specific question or two or three, and they instantly get very vauge and keep referring to there very vague guidelines on their web site. They will absolutely flat out not give you a straight answer. Oh, but enjoy your car! lol. Don't believe me? call them up and ask any of the above questions. They will reply with some asinine answer like "oh. It might be ok once in a blue moon, but we discourage making a habit of it. Check our web guidelines" or some such rot.
{oo/-------\oo} In '69 I was twenty-one and I called the road my own. I don't know when that road turned into the road I'm on. Jackson Browne