anyone had their axle housing powdercoated?

Author Topic: anyone had their axle housing powdercoated?  (Read 787 times)

Offline brianz426

anyone had their axle housing powdercoated?
« on: September 22, 2011 - 02:14:33 PM »
I had my 8-3/4 axle housing and end plates powder coated and they turned out great. My problem is getting the inside of the housing clean. They blasted and baked the housing and the inside looked clean and dry except for the dried grease/oil residue.
I started with an industrial water soluble machine shop type cleaner degreaser. I thoroughly washed the interior with a brush. After it dried I cleaned the inside again with brake cleaner spraying until the cleaner ran out clean. I still feel a very fine grit that I can't see when I touch the inside. How did you guys clean the inside of your housings? Do I need to keep cleaning until all interior surfaces feel smooth?  Should I try pressure washing the inside. A friend recommended steam cleaning but I don't have access to a steam cleaner, I could run hot water through my pressure washer. I definitely want all the grit out before I reassemble everything. I don't know if the grit I'm feeling is blast media or burnt grease residue.  Any suggestions?
Thanks

Offline 72cudamaan

• Resident
Re: anyone had their axle housing powdercoated?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011 - 10:41:00 PM »
That grit is probably glass bead or sand. It will definitely ruin everything when oil
makes it move. Pressure washer and maybe a bottle brush on a stick to
reach all the way in the tubes.  Good luck and have patience.
If I cant fix it, it's broke

Andy  (phukker whither)

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011 - 10:48:46 PM »
Hot, soapy water, brushes and elbow grease until she feels clean.  :2cents:

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011 - 04:00:12 AM »
easy talking about it afterwards, but at my work, we blast and powdercoat axlehousings on a weekly bases. First step is to have them cleaned and degreased.  Then every hole is bolted shut and Thèn we blast them. 
I think powerwasher is the way to go now. Soap and steam will help to get rid of grease or oil residu that might hold media. 
*** Bart ***

Offline brianz426

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011 - 01:35:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I spent a little over an hour with the pressure washer this weekend on it and it seems a lot better. I just have to be patient like you suggested and keep at it. It looks like the time saved by getting it powder coated is being eaten up by cleaning the inside. Next time I'll have it hot tanked before I take it to the coaters.