Author Topic: Starting engine under the hood???  (Read 1567 times)

Offline CudamanTom

• Resident
Starting engine under the hood???
« on: September 22, 2011 - 07:50:12 PM »
Hey guys and girls,

Gotta a question but first, here is my current situation.
I have a 71 440 Cuda. At this time, I have no wiring harness, regulator, ballast or anything else under the hood, just the engine.
I want to start and run the engine for a short time here and there. Since it will be a while before getting everything required to drive it on the street, I didn't want the engine to sit too long without being started every once in a while. Plus I just want to hear it run  :bigsmile: while sitting there waiting on everything else. I think the neighborhood is ready to hear it run too  :ylsuper:

My question is, can I start and run the engine off raw battery power with electrical going to my starter and coil? Or do I need a regulator and ballast resistor? I don't plan on using the alternator right now if I don't have to and only plan to run it for short periods of time (before the police shows up)  :22yikes: .
I plan to make a small panel with a power switch, start switch and run switch to operate the engine from under the hood.
So if it can be done with my example, how is the best way to hook it up? A drawing would be helpful if possible.

Any ideas, thoughts and input would be much appreciated.

Tom
1971 Cuda Vert 440-833 - (clone)
1971 Cuda 440-727 - (clone)

Because I like it fast!!!

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
Re: Starting engine under the hood???
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011 - 09:39:10 PM »
If you're using the stock ignition, you NEED the ballast. The regulator will keep you from frying everything. Without an alternator, you'll need to charge the battery before every couple of starts.

Sounds like a little patience will save you a lot of grief. Why not install the rest of the engine compartment and steering column?
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline CudamanTom

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011 - 10:17:48 PM »
If you're using the stock ignition, you NEED the ballast. The regulator will keep you from frying everything. Without an alternator, you'll need to charge the battery before every couple of starts.

Sounds like a little patience will save you a lot of grief. Why not install the rest of the engine compartment and steering column?
Thanks brooks,
I have steering but want to replace the whole brake system (unsafe/unknown condition) along with a new fuel system from the tank to the carb. Also the intire wiring from the firewall to all the lights/engine components. I want it to be safe and this car needs some TLC. So a little patience will get me a great and safe driver by spring time when I can afford to do all my replacement projects. Spring time is my goal to pull her out and stretch her legs.
It's up on jacks and will be thru the winter. I do a Halloween and Christmas light show so my time is just about taken for the rest of the year anyway. But I want to hear a roar and keep the engine in check during the winter.
Yes, the ignition is stock and I have a battery charger to keep the battery charged. I just want a quick plug and play until I get everything else going, wiring harness included. The holidays are coming and funds will be slightly deferred for a few months.
I will get a ballast and regulator if it's needed.
Thank you.

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011 - 10:55:59 PM »
Well, you could stick a distributor with points in the old gal, jump the coil and starter, but you'd best fit a resistor that'll knock the ignition voltage down to around 8 volts when it's running. Lot of effort for a little fun, but it's your car.  Don't forget antifreeze for the winter months. :cheers:

Offline CudamanTom

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011 - 07:06:26 AM »
Well, you could stick a distributor with points in the old gal, jump the coil and starter, but you'd best fit a resistor that'll knock the ignition voltage down to around 8 volts when it's running. Lot of effort for a little fun, but it's your car.  Don't forget antifreeze for the winter months. :cheers:

Thanks jimynick,
Is it really that much effort?  I already have a distibutor and coil that came with the engine. I just don't have the rest of the wiring under the hood. Since I am unsure as to the rest of the wiring under the dash and steering column, I want to take my time doing that later and just run the engine a little.

Thanks again.

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011 - 05:54:39 PM »
There is no reason you cannot start it...just be sure there is a wire connected from the alternator battery stud to the relay along with the regulator wiring plus power thru the ballast to the coil and temporary power straight to the coil....I doubt you will be the first, nor the last, to do it this way :)

If you don't use the alternator, it gets really simple...be sure you have the right kind of charger to maintain the battery so you don't overcharge it over the longer period and cook it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011 - 05:56:51 PM by Strawdawg »

Offline CudamanTom

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011 - 06:12:09 PM »
Thank you very much Steve,
That's kinda what I was hoping and looking for.
I don't plan to use the alernator at this time if I don't have to and I do have a charger to keep the battery charged.
So without using the alternator, would I just run a wire from the battery to the ballast, to the coil? Or does it still have to go thru the regulator. I'm wanting to keep it as simple as can be.
Thanks again,
Tom

There is no reason you cannot start it...just be sure there is a wire connected from the alternator battery stud to the relay along with the regulator wiring plus power thru the ballast to the coil and temporary power straight to the coil....I doubt you will be the first, nor the last, to do it this way :)

If you don't use the alternator, it gets really simple...be sure you have the right kind of charger to maintain the battery so you don't overcharge it over the longer period and cook it.

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011 - 08:21:05 PM »
to give it full voltage during the start, I would also run a wire from the battery straight to the coil, then disconnect it once it starts...to simulate what happens when you turn the key to start and then release it...

No need for the regulator if the alternator is not installed...

The only downside I can see with regard to starting it now is that you are going to have fuel getting stale in the tank over the winter.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011 - 10:03:23 PM »
 Just wondering how they setup engines on a Dyno to check Hp And such? Mopars, Chevy's, (even some Fords) all get on the same block stand. :misbehaving:

Offline CudamanTom

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011 - 10:49:11 PM »
Thanks Steve,
Your info is very helpful and making it easy for my little start ups I'm wanting to do without having to go thru a lot of issues and replacing parts right now when my budget or time isn't so good (holidays coming).
Well the fuel system is one thing in my plans to replace. I have a rather nasty tank and lines (sitting in weather over time) so I plan to replace the whole fuel system but in the mean time I want to use a gas can to supply the fuel so not a lot of gas at any given time sitting in the gas can.

So there is voltage already to the coil to run but extra voltage while starting to the coil? Man I hate to sound stupid on this question but never got into the ignition stuff in my younger days. I've never been in this situation on cars before.

Thanks again,
Tom

to give it full voltage during the start, I would also run a wire from the battery straight to the coil, then disconnect it once it starts...to simulate what happens when you turn the key to start and then release it...

No need for the regulator if the alternator is not installed...

The only downside I can see with regard to starting it now is that you are going to have fuel getting stale in the tank over the winter.

Offline CudamanTom

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011 - 10:50:52 PM »
Just wondering how they setup engines on a Dyno to check Hp And such? Mopars, Chevy's, (even some Fords) all get on the same block stand. :misbehaving:

That's a very good point. I guess I'm kinda doing something simular.  :clueless:

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011 - 11:52:25 PM »
On the stand, they simply hook power up...it's easy on modern electronic ignitions because you only have to supply power and no ballast resistors...but, if it is a coil over plug engine, or such, all that has to be mounted...radiator is available so all the normal stuff has to be installed..but, it is easy when you can walk around the engine to get to things....they hook up oil pressure, etc.

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011 - 04:19:20 PM »
Another thought is to leave the ignition system completely out of the equation and simply give juice directly to the starter to turn the engine over once in awhile.

You won't get to hear it run, but since these motors are all mechanical, everything would flow and it would be enough to deal with any issues that might arise from sitting too long. :-)
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline CudamanTom

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011 - 05:45:19 PM »
Very true Grec,

Thanks for the input.

Offline UKcuda

• Tell them I'm on my way
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011 - 03:41:22 AM »
It would be easy enough to do - I recall a few years back a guy over here took a 383 and trans to sell at a swap meet and fired it up on the grass.  That got a LOT of attention  :roflsmiley:

If you're going to turn it over and you have the ignition parts I would say you may as well fire it up.  Like has been said, on a stock system you need the ballast if you're going to let it run for any time.

Just take a wire from battery + to the ballast and then to the coil.  For starting put a jumper across the ballast. 

If you're making up a little switch board it's probably easiest to put the ballast on the board (but remember it gets hot).

Is it a fresh engine?  If so I think I would want to be able to see the oil pressure as well.
'72 'cuda