Author Topic: oil pick up question  (Read 530 times)

Offline 70 RAG TOP

oil pick up question
« on: September 24, 2011 - 10:40:14 PM »
I posted a question recently about low oil pressure.  I took my pan off to make sure the pick up was not sitting on the bottom.
My question is how do you make sure the pick up is 3/8" off the bottom if you can't see it when you are re installing the pan?
Also, do you use any sealer on the threads of the pickup ?  If the threads are not sealed, could that cause the pump to suck air and reduce the pressure?  I want to make darn sure I have everything correct before I put the pan back on.

Thanks Mike
Mike

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
Re: oil pick up question
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011 - 10:45:10 PM »
well, you can do some careful measuring from the block pan mounting surface to the bottom of the pickup and the oil pan rails to the pan bottom..take the difference and add the gasket thickness...or use some soft modeling clay and see what thickness it squashes to when you put the pan on.

You really should not need to use a sealer on the threads as they are pipe threads, but you can use a dab of teflon paste on them if you have any doubts.....

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011 - 10:46:04 PM »
I posted a question recently about low oil pressure.  I took my pan off to make sure the pick up was not sitting on the bottom.
My question is how do you make sure the pick up is 3/8" off the bottom if you can't see it when you are re installing the pan?
Also, do you use any sealer on the threads of the pickup ?  If the threads are not sealed, could that cause the pump to suck air and reduce the pressure?  I want to make darn sure I have everything correct before I put the pan back on.

Thanks Mike

Put a chunk of plastercine on the bottom of the pickup then place the pan back on, measure how much it squished. You should be able to measure off the block oil pan rails though.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011 - 11:06:48 PM »
often you can see the pick up through the oil drain plug hole with a mini light . Putty is another way to check .
 I always seal the threads on the pickup tube air is far easier to pull than oil .

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t