HELP - "Really" loose steering problem

Author Topic: HELP - "Really" loose steering problem  (Read 2263 times)

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
HELP - "Really" loose steering problem
« on: January 10, 2005 - 08:27:53 AM »
Well, discovered another problem.. we just installed the 340 back in (new 8 qt pan). I took her for a spin last night.. and I could not even get on it.. to see how the new converter works.. because the steering has Soooooo much play.. I would've surely crashed the car.

I installed a rebuilt manual steering box and tightened down the adjustment screw.. does this tighten the steering. Also, even thought it is manual steering.. the steeringseemed unusually stiff to turn.. but tons of play.

Any suggestions would be greatly apprectiated. I know nothing about the steering suspension.. so I really need to get this fixed. It was a little loose before w/ the new steering box, but now the car is just plain undriveable.

71fish
71fish - Nobody better than an E-BODY!!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: HELP - "Really" loose steering problem
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005 - 01:13:25 PM »
I assume you disassembled the coupler ???
 Probably the shoes where installed incorrectly inside the coupler , the spring has to sit to 1 side not under the end of the shaft to orient the shoes correctly inside the coupler
 , pull the coupler apart again & rotoate the shoes & spring 90* & reinstall it , also back off the adjuster on the box it shouldn`t be that tright
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005 - 06:44:02 PM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005 - 01:28:51 PM »
I assume you disassembled the coupler ???
 Probably the shoes where installed incorrectly inside the coupler , the spring has to sit to !1 side not under the end of the shaft to orient the shoes correctly insid ethe coupler
 , pull the coupler apart again & rotoate the shoes & spring 90* & reinstall it , also back off the adjuster on the box it shouldn`t be that tright

Chryco - I don't understand.. "!1" whast is that. I thought that the coupler went on one way. Shoot.. can you pls explain in more detail. I'm gonna try it when I get home tonight.

Also, I'll back off the nut too, but why would that make it loose?? As always thanks.. and just laugh at my dumb questions.. as long as you answer them..   :beer:

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005 - 02:28:51 PM »
71fish . . . maybe I can help alittle.  If I follow this correctly, I have it installed wrong also.  CP I couldn't figure any other way to make this work!   This is what you are talking about . . .right??  Oh and  " !1 " <----  that is a CP typo.  Fast fingers!!  Should of just been the number 1.  lol

So it should look like this!!  (pic 2)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005 - 02:40:19 PM by 4cruzin »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005 - 06:45:04 PM »
Correct 4c good pix  :thumbs:

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005 - 11:20:56 AM »
The coupler is not the problem. I never had it apart.. just slid up the sleeve to change steering box. When I turn the steering wheel.. the steering box gear turns exactly w/ the coupler.. it's after that that's the problem. I adjusted the worn bearing screw (on top).. and that had no affect on the responsiveness.

71fish

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005 - 07:54:23 PM »
probably the top or bottom brg has failed & the the shaft is moving up & down inside the box

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005 - 08:18:27 AM »
well that sucs..

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005 - 02:08:01 PM »
I assume the input shaft is moving & the pitman arm is not??

Offline 71fish

• Bless you..
    • Ken's 71fish
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005 - 09:05:54 AM »
I assume the input shaft is moving & the pitman arm is not??

Exactly - you can watch the input shaft move perfectly to rocking the steering wheel back-n-forth, yet the pittman arm (ALSO NEW) doesn't have near the response.. hence the sloppy steering.

71fish

Offline OUTLAW

• MASTER OF ALL THINGS MOPAR
  • I didn't say you can't RACE--I said you can't WIN
    • MOPAR-MADNESS  WEB/FORUM
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005 - 10:09:16 AM »
THIS COUPLING "THING" MAY BE THE ANSWER TO ONE OF MY PROBS !!! When installed wrong does it cause free play in the shaft/coupling ? Reason for asking is I have no freeplay anywhere. The whole front suspension has been rebuilt, and been to 2 frame shops looking for a "loose" steering problem. I have installed a total of 3 gearboxes, all with the same results. The feel is like an over driven p/s pump (replaced too). Ps this problem started before the rebuilding and gearbox replacements. The closest I've been to getting this thing to steer right is with a set of radials on all 4 corners but yet it still has no real feel to it and jumps on tar strips and you bank it from side to side like an old boat ...LOL Any crown in the road and you have to preload the steering wheel (all slack to one side like it has a bad ball joint) hope you follow my symptoms as it seems similar to 71fishes symptoms too. It  just started one day as best I can remember 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2005 - 01:56:53 AM »
when installed wrong the shaft in the column turns while the coupler housing stays still , if you have no play but teh car jumps around it sounds like the alignment is off to me