Bolt-In cage/Roll Bar for E-body Mopar

Author Topic: Bolt-In cage/Roll Bar for E-body Mopar  (Read 10001 times)

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
Re: Bolt-In cage/Roll Bar for E-body Mopar
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011 - 04:23:39 AM »
Fish what do you need mesherments on?
What would be a common reference point on the 2 cars?

Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011 - 12:20:07 PM »
Measuring? Probably at some common reference point that Cuda's and Chally's share on the package to a common ref. point on the roof structure about where the rear diagonal   bracing will connect with the main hoop. This will confirm everything is the same from the driver, rearward.

Next, from ref. point A to a common ref. point on the front of the roof structure about where the bars will go down to the floor structure on the front. This is where I am expecting (hoping) we will see the only difference, with the long tubes going from the main hoop forward being a a few inches longer (however much longer Chally wheel base is longer that 'Cuda w.b.).I was hoping to find a Challenger in close proximity to a 'Cuda so an eyeball could possibly catch any nuances that a tape measure doesn't see.

Hopefully there will be two part numbers for the cage but all bends the same. There could even be one part number with a Special Instruction for Chally owners to saw "X" amount of inches off a designated set of tubes!

If, in fact, the only difference will be the length between ref. point A & B, then customers (regardless of whether they own a CUDA or a Challenger) who only opt for a Roll Bar will only have one part number. Those  (regardless of CUDA or CHALLENGER) who want a Cage will have one part number BUT with a special instruction for Challenger owners to chop off 'X' amount of length.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011 - 03:35:04 PM »
Hey John.

Thanks for the compliment. After reading back through my posts, they did kind of come off as a bit self rightous, and that wasn't my intent. So that was a lot of exchange to simply clear up the word "biggest".   :thumbsup:  I do agree with you though, Autosport does offer probably the largest catalog of coverage for a very large range of cars. From my point of view, I was thinking simply of raw numbers. Since both those companies are privately held, we'll probably never know who actually sells more units.

SPC is a different company from Hamburgers. SPC made a lot of its products for sports cars and Cobra kit car markets. They've been players there for a long time. Hamburgers is still in business as its own company and still offers primarily oil control products, but they have moved in to some air flow stuff and valve covers as well. They do still offer a few mopar oil pans and valve covers, and I'd imagine all those jigs are well amortized and are pure profit makers for them by now, so why kill them off.

So, onward.

Yes, $32K is a chunk of change. Would they do it for less, possibly, but maybe they wont even do it for that amount. That is something you need to ask them about. If you can convince 21-32 people to provide a 10-20% deposit to begin development, would that be enough for Autosport to start tooling up, I don't know. I just took a stab at development costs based on what I know my company does when we look at changes. Their actual costs may be higher or lower and their flexibility in development may be different. That may need to be some point blank questions to them about how much do they want to start development, how long is their development cycle, does that include any certification work, what is their annual or lifetime sales expectation of the part, and what exactly consitutes market research in their eyes to begin building cages. Surely they have some methodology they use to decide to go in to production, obviously those cars that are heavily in to autocross action, but really, how many Nissan Sentra cages could they have they sold. I'd like to think they would sell more E body cages than that. Is it absolute OEM production volume? Does the fact that Dynacorn repops Challenger bodies factor in to that at all? Lots of possible questions can be used to drill down to their expectations for production.

Sales growth and advertising is always a tricky thing. Some companies don't hit mainstream media because they do not want to get that big. They have their nitch and are comfortable there. Have you ever had anyone tell you they don't want to sell you any more product? I have and its kind of weird, but in this case we were buying in volumes that exceeded the business parameters of our supplier. They were uncomfortable with it and offered to freely share the original suppliers with us if we would cut back on our spending with them. I was shocked to say the least, but we took them up on it and have maintained the relationship ever since. Weird stuff.

Tony

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011 - 08:18:00 PM »
Fish
I'll see wat I can come up with the wheel base is 2 inches different between the two cars. That could be made up in the front mounting plate if they are indeed longer from the door latch forward.
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011 - 01:29:32 AM »
Fish
I'll see wat I can come up with the wheel base is 2 inches different between the two cars. That could be made up in the front mounting plate if they are indeed longer from the door latch forward.

If you could gain access to a Cuda and do a side by side that would be great. I wasn't able to get up to Gear Vendors today to try and get the Challenger owners info. I think that is the best way. Just getting a set of eyes on both would be ideal. I'm thinking the angle at which the 1/4 glass sits might be slightly different between the two so splitting the difference in angles would aid in having one part #.

Also, package trays. Are they the same? Would the rear diagonal brace go into the trunk in the same location? Finding these things out would get us to the starting point that we need to figure out those pieces length (that I'm thinking) will be the only difference between a Challenger variation and Cuda variation.

I wish I could draw in CAD or even a crude paint shop illustration, to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011 - 02:25:03 AM »

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011 - 06:30:30 AM »
Your talking full cage not your typical 6 point???

I would have to find a hardtop for all that info, illl still see what's at the show this weekend?

Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011 - 12:07:21 PM »
That's right. You have a convertible. It will definitely have to be a hard top.

I guess we need to clarify. 6 point referring to how many points at which it will bolt to the floor. After looking at the pics on http://www.autopowerindustries.com/rollcages.asp
It looks like they won't send the back two bars through the pkg. tray but around the wheel housing or rear frame rails behind the rear seat. The rear floor pan under the seat is the same part for both cars.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2011 - 12:30:56 PM by go-fish »