Bolt-In cage/Roll Bar for E-body Mopar

Author Topic: Bolt-In cage/Roll Bar for E-body Mopar  (Read 10006 times)

Offline go-fish

• Resident
Bolt-In cage/Roll Bar for E-body Mopar
« on: September 27, 2011 - 08:21:50 PM »
This is mostly for anyone who is a 70-74 'Cuda owner and possibly Challenger owners who want to race their car on a limited basis. I will not imply that this is as strong or as safe as WELD IN roll over protection!

First off, I will tell you why I started looking around for bolt in cages/ roll bars. I have thrown a lot of performance parts at my car to include suspension and engine upgrades and thought what fun it would be to go to a track day a couple of times a year. I'm building my car to perform above stock levels and want to test the car on more than public roads. I do, however, plan on hauling my wife and kid around to the occasional show and cruises 99% of the time. As you know, hauling people around in a car with a cage is dangerous unless you strap them in with harnesses and put helmets on all occupants. What fun is that?

I am envious of the Mustang and Camaro guys who have bolt-in cages because they have the ability to purchase these products and have viable protection for track days and auto-crosses but still have the ability to bolt in a cage in about an hour and have not only SOME degree of protection when they want to let it all hang out on a closed track but they have the freedom of knowing their passengers won't bonk their noggins when driving them around because they can take the cage out for general hotrodding duties on the street by removing the cage.

Bonuses of a bolt-in cage are chassis stiffening and and added level of safety. As I mentioned before, it is not safe to run a cage in a car that you are using as a people mover. You chose when to use it!

Bolt-in cages meet the needs above without committing you car, with a weld-in cage, to the permanence. While weld-in cages are the highest level of protection in racing they do you no good on the street because they can be DANGEROUS!

It all depends on what you want to do with the car and YOUR judgment calls. If you race your car more than you drive it on the street I do recommend locating a reputable cage builder. For the rest of us, how do we solve the problem of having your cake and eating it too? Why, a bolt-in cage, of course.

I was searching for a company that provided for my needs. Sadly, I found none. I did, however, find a company that built bolt-in and weld-in cages for Camaros, Mustangs, Spec-Miatas, etc. I talked to them on the phone and they told me they didn't plan on building them for 'Cudas because there just wasn't the demand. It's true to some degree. There were more Camaro production than 'Cudas so the number of performance enthusiasts with those other models are greater than our numbers but we're still out here. I was able to convince them that there ARE some of us out there and if we demanded it he said he would build them.

So, here I am, trying to gauge the interest in the Mopar realm for bolt-in cages. The company is a reputable cage bulider in my area of Southern California and has gotten the approval from racing organizations, NASA and SCCA, for their cages. These are approved for racing! I will drop my car off for fitments so that they can replicate the cages for production, IF there is a big enough interest. If I can get enough people we can bring this to market.

We always complain, as corner carving enthusiasts, that there isn't as much aftermarket support for our cars. We, in the Mopar world, are known, mostly, as numbers guys. A lot of Mopar owners are content with rebuilding their cars and simply cruising them. Now, there are a lot of Mopar racers out there but racers usually use that car for mostly racing and opt for weld-in, custom built, cages. There just aren't as many 'Cuda owners that desire the duality of a Pro-Touring type of car like so many Camaro owners. I want to aid, not only myself, but those of you who really want to flog your car on the track with our street machines. Let's get this started. It will take public demand to get the aftermarket world to bring these products to the catalog of performance equipment.

Building a bolt-in cage yourself will require skills we may not posses so going with a company that already has garnered racing organizations approval makes perfect sense. The company I'm speaking of is Autopower Industries, http://www.autopowerindustries.com/

Take a look at their inventory. If you like what you see, in what they offer for Camaros and Mustangs, then get back to me. We can leverage our numbers and force this into market. I want a cage but if you are interested in just a roll bar that can be done as well. If I take my car into them they will fit the car with all the products they want to offer to the market, provided there is a market for these.

Remember, I am not saying this is equal to a custom built weld-in unit. I don't want it to be because it wouldn't, then, meet my needs. This is for people that have “street cars” that don't want the permanence of a weld-in but don't want to have a roof coming in on them, un-impeded, in the case of an on-track accident. I want some level of protection but don't want to subject my passengers to the dangers of riding in a car, with a cage, on the street. Even cages with padding can be dangerous without a helmet! It all depends on the needs of you and your car. My needs do not dictate a full time cage. With two track days a year I do not want to commit to the maximum level of TRACK safety because, overall, it wouldn't be very safe 95% of the uses of the car.

So, if you are interested, look at the products Autopower has for other makes and models. If you like what you see, we 'Cuda owners can have the same. Look at the prices, discuss it with your banker (mine is my wife), discuss it in this thread and let's get some aftermarket support for this product!

I am posting this on several websites where I know 'Cuda and Challenger owners hang out so if you have questions that aren't met in this discussion please feel free to email me at BSL2SD3@gmail.com I may not be able to keep up with the discussion in the four forums I am posting this in. I told Autopower that I was going to charge into this and try to get some commitment from E-body owners. These are NASA and SCCA approved and it is a reality in getting this done if they can sell enough.

We may even get a break on pricing if there is an initial group order. Once they create the jigs production will move right along, swiftly. They do a lot of business and have name behind them. I visited their facility and it is not just some guy wanting to rush into business and get a bunch of pre-orders. We have to show them that we are demanding this. Again, he thought it would be hard to get E-body owners to bite. Google them, find owners with their products, research them by all means. I have and I'm excited to get these products into the aftermarket that the “other” guys are enjoying.

Again, comparable products to this potential one can be seen at http://www.autopowerindustries.com/

Again, my email is BSL2SD3@gmail.com if you want to get on the list early and make a push toward development of a viable safety product.

-John

Admin, please move this to the appropriate area if it is not warranted for general discussion.

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: Bolt-In cage/Roll Bar for E-body Mopar
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011 - 09:14:46 AM »
Intersting idea that could be useful for some, but I question the practicality of it all. Ridetech is probably the biggest maker of bolt in roll bar/cage components and they have yet to get sanctioning body certification from SCCA or NHRA for any of their designs. Additionally, this isn't a simple, quickly bolt it in exercise. Bolting in all the components of a cage to actually provide any additional safety levels would likely take an entire day to install, then a day to un-install. I think you hour long install estimate is hugely underestimated for anything other than a simple roll bar with a couple of kicked back supports. A cage would certainly not be a quick bolt up and go race type issue. I'd also think because of the bolt in, temporary mounting arrangement, you may be giving up a fair amount of safety margin since tieing in to structural members is how competition cages increase rigidity by creating a more unified structure. Putting mounting holes through out structural components that are only utilized part of the time would seem to provide opportunities for wear, tear, and damage to those mounting areas when the cage is not in place.

I wish you luck with the effort. I suspect you'll get a few who will actually commit money and probably three times that who will say they are interested.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011 - 09:58:25 AM »
I'll add in that some insurance companies frown on insuring cars with roll cages.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011 - 11:49:39 AM »
Whereas the Tiger Cage from Ride Tech is not certified by NASA and SCCA because techs realize it is more of a "looks" thing (will probably never be certified) these Autopower Industries cages and roll bars are ALREADY CERTIFIED by SCCA and NASA.
HP2 Ride Tech is a TINY player in the cage game. They are actually horrible at it because they could get certification if they changed it. The Tiger Cage sure looks pretty though.
I do know that, through my research and Google-Fu, Autopower has been putting out SCCA and NASA approved cages for over a decade. To say that Ride Tech is a major player in the Bolt-In cage market shows how effective their advertisement is. They don't have organization certification OR a product for YOUR car and YOU still THINK they are the "biggest maker". They sure have a lot of people snowed, don't they. And they will probably never get certification.

Brads70, that is what HPDE insurance is for. Look into it. Hint: High Performance Driving Event insurance. You will have to buy it anyway to even run your car on the track WITHOUT a cage because your insurance company doesn't cover you when you race it anyway. It's called SUPPLEMENTAL for a reason.

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011 - 11:52:48 AM »
I think it would be cool!!!!!!, if you could get a quick set-up to go back and forth from cruising with the family and sparkin through a race I hope you get the system and post picks.

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011 - 03:51:14 PM »
I think it would be cool!!!!!!, if you could get a quick set-up to go back and forth from cruising with the family and sparkin through a race I hope you get the system and post picks.

The problem is that Autopower isn't going to add this to their catalog for just one guy (me). I need to get some like minded folks so that Autopower will think it's worth their while.

I was just in there this morning picking up the rule book reference to quell some of the people who are saying it would only be legal if you bolted it in and then welded it to make it permanent. He said he really wanted to help me out but they supply a lot of distributors, they already make good money on other models and can't take the time to build one cage for one guy without knowing they can recoup their time in development.

They don't do custom work so the conditions will have to be that they can have a viable product that they can reproduce for distribution. Take a look at their distributors list on their site. Call them if you need more of a warm and fuzzy about end user satisfaction. Everyone that I have messaged with one says they are perfectly satisfied with the product.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011 - 05:06:42 PM by go-fish »

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011 - 04:55:01 PM »

GCR, Chapter 9 'Cars and Equipment' , Section 7 part A.

Below the copy is a crude picture of how the rule states it should be to be compliant.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011 - 04:58:49 PM by go-fish »

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011 - 06:24:18 PM »
interesting  :thumbsup: I know I need one in my car to run a road course but its gotta look good and be safe...
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011 - 06:35:45 PM »
For around a $1000 not a bad idea and I think a couple hours max to install.You need to post this on as many Mopar/car/racing boards as possible to get enough people interested.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011 - 06:54:40 PM »
The good thing about being so close to, probably, the largest bolt-in cage company is oversight of the way we want it done, providing it is in line with Autopowers techniques and procedure.
With it being my car they will be using to do the initial mock up I would definitely request that they make the angle and location of the bar be in line with the rear quarter glass/door glass angle and as close to the headliner as possible.
That is the good thing about being in on the starting point.

Hopefully it will be about $200 or more off for the initial group of buyers. Can I count you two guys in?

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011 - 07:07:59 PM »
Down the road a year or so I`d like one but curent "situation" has me flat broke!
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011 - 09:05:24 AM »
Whereas the Tiger Cage from Ride Tech is not certified by NASA and SCCA because techs realize it is more of a "looks" thing (will probably never be certified) these Autopower Industries cages and roll bars are ALREADY CERTIFIED by SCCA and NASA.
HP2 Ride Tech is a TINY player in the cage game. They are actually horrible at it because they could get certification if they changed it. The Tiger Cage sure looks pretty though.
I do know that, through my research and Google-Fu, Autopower has been putting out SCCA and NASA approved cages for over a decade. To say that Ride Tech is a major player in the Bolt-In cage market shows how effective their advertisement is. They don't have organization certification OR a product for YOUR car and YOU still THINK they are the "biggest maker". They sure have a lot of people snowed, don't they. And they will probably never get certification.

Brads70, that is what HPDE insurance is for. Look into it. Hint: High Performance Driving Event insurance. You will have to buy it anyway to even run your car on the track WITHOUT a cage because your insurance company doesn't cover you when you race it anyway. It's called SUPPLEMENTAL for a reason.

Uhhhh...wow...again, good luck with your efforts. I wish you the best of luck.

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011 - 12:01:29 PM »
Uhhhh...wow...

All one would have to do is look at their product line. They are a suspension company with, what, 6 different cages? They aren't compliant with SCCA/NASA and they are the biggest?
Autopower has dozens and they are a company thats specialty IS safety and roll over protection. They have been doing what they do longer that Brett has operated Ride Tech. They comply with SCCA and NASA.

One would only imagine that Ride Tech is doing it for aesthetics and just to have a place to anchor a harness. Look at the scan of the GCR. Below it is a diagram of what it takes for Ride Tech to comply. How hard would it be to comply? This proves they have no interest in actual safety but with what I have just mentioned.

It is amazing what advertisement can do.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011 - 06:02:54 PM »
It is amazing what advertisement can do.

Yes it is. I'll admit that I fall in to its trap regulalry, especially on items I've don't researched and that is especially ironic since my major in college was marketing.

Here is how it works. Ridetech advertises regularly with Source Interlink Media's Performance Group. This group of magazines covers most major enthusiast titles and their total combined content reaches 6 million+ persons annually. If just one half of one percent of those poeple buy a Ridetech cage, that is 30,000 units.  Heck, if we even slim this down to just Hot Rod magazine, that is over 600,000 subscribers. The same percentage here is 3000 units. That is a lot of eyeballs looking at product. By contrast, Autopower Industries advertises extensively in GRM magazine and probably a few other club rags along with some associated distributor subsidized ads reaching at least 60,000 GRM subscribers and maybe, lets optimistically say, another 30k readers in club mags. Since they cater specifically to club racers and the autocross crowd, lets up their sales success rate to 3%. Even at that rate, it is still only 2700 units sold.  So yes, perhaps Ridetech is not the absolute biggest right now, but if they aren't already, they will get there. That doesn't discount the fact the Autopower makes a darn nice cage that is nicely priced, well thought out, looks as good as it performs, and is accepted by some organizations (Tigercage is approved by the ECTA to 175 mph, by the way). Advertising is life in the retail arena. The more you have, the more you get, the bigger you are. Is Ridetech doing it for asthetics, yup. With polished stainless tube construction, you bet they are. Sure they only make 6 models, but they target the GM A and F bodies and Ford Msutangs. Those are probably the three most prolific cars on the planet behind a Fiat 124 and Volkswagon Bug and they are definetly the best selling muscle cars anywhere ever. 1st generation Camaros alone can probably outsell any dozen other makes combined.

Here is a similar case study. Did you know SPC makes a double adjustable, tubular style control arm for classic mopars? They also have been in business since 1972 and have been making hard core suspension parts for a large variety of applications. By contrast, Hotchkis didn't start selling components until the late 1990s and only within the last few years have they entered in to the classic mopar market. Yet Hotchkis advertises heavily, regular particpates on web boards, and sponsor numerous enthusiast events across the country. Yet more often than not, you see board requests asking about Hotchkis products. I actually have only ever seen ONE mopar guy ask about SPC products. Guess who has the bigger advertising budget and as a result, has the larger sales base.

Another similar experience of mine without the advertising twist...no one anywhere made a road race style oil pan for a small block mopar, yet there are millions more of then than big blocks. Several different people worked with several different manufacturers to come up with a mass produced, reasonable cost oil pan. I was lobbying with Canton, Andy F worked with Kevco and Steve W was badgering Milodon. Sure, there were several places willing to fab up a custom unit, but only a couple at a time at $1000 plus per pan. The best effort I was ever able to secure was one a batch build of a dozen units at $600 each. Finally, through whatever means, I'm unsure of, Steve convinced Milodon to make them a stocked item and the price came in around $400, or one of the more expensive mopar oil pans out there. Fortunately demand has been good and Milodon should recoup their develop this year, the pan is on the shelf and anyone can buy them now. My point here is that this took considerable effort over several years from multiple people with multiple possible sources with an item at a price point considerbaly less than a roll cage and with considerably more demand. Heck, every engine needs an oil pan, not every car needs a roll bar.

Again, I wish you luck as you have large battle ahead of you. If Autopower can do cad/cam renderings that means they can probably devleop a format for a cage in maybe 80 hours. Figure another 80 hours weld up and test fit to get the first prototype built. Are you doing Cudas or Challengers here, because the Dodge will require additional length, hence two different part numbers to develop.  Once they get that all dialed in they have to create all the jigs to make production runs. Figure those will take maybe 160 hours. So we're at 320 hours. Where I'm at shop rates average $100 an hour. Since they are in San Diego it may be higher, at any rate, they are abour $32000 in and they haven't sold anything yet.  Lets say they sell these at price and a half, or $1500,  to recoup costs faster. If thats the case, that means they need to sell 21 units immediatly. So there is your target mark. I don't doubt you can find 21 interested people. Can you line of $32k to throw at Autosport to do this? Maybe. If you can, then I'd bet they will make it. Along the way, you might also suggest they consider advertising with Source Interlink Media, if not for the Mopar stuff, just to help push along their GM and Ford products as well.

TC
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011 - 06:04:56 PM by HP2 »

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011 - 02:07:31 AM »
That is excellent info HP2. I had no idea about the #'s on their cost and never would have imagined the $32K #. Now it makes even more sense to me as to why they didn't sound excited at all about working with me. They basically said, " Go out and do our market research for us. It's risky and we don't know the Mopar market."
Of course, they already know that it is a monumental task to break into new markets with basic supplier/distributorship/traditional advertising. Their advertising seems non-existent by simply relying on a few small catalog companies and word of mouth. That doesn't take away from the fact that they supply good product. Someone with even bad product and great advertising seems like they can do better. Also, I think Ridetech is a great company and supply good products. I use the triangulated 4-bar from them myself. It just kills me that they (1) don't seem to care to revise the Tigercage to comply with what seems like a simple rule in the GCR and (2) they don't make a Tigercage for Mopars.

With the Challenger issue, I am hoping the only difference in part numbers would be a longer front section. I know the Challenger floor pans are longer and that is where the extra wheel base comes from. Right? IDK. Hopefully all the jigs would be the same, it would just need to be a few inches longer on the span that comes over the door glass. Gear Vendors is also in San Diego. I drove past their facility today and noticed a 70 Challenger in their bay. I thought about running up there tomorrow to see if I can get the customers name and try to hook up with them to get some measurements and compare inner sheet metal structure.

If everything is the same then it would be easy to just add length to some of the tubing instead of having totally separate jigs. This would also allow for a bigger initial order so life can be breathed into new product. I will definitely mention Source Interlink Media. I doubt that it will have any bearing on this venture but if they realize their sales can go up it may make them more willing to take up a venture like this knowing what could lie ahead.

Thanks a bunch HP2. And no, I had no idea SPC had Mopar product, unless they are who Hamburger's used to be? I have some old Hamburger's 340/360 Connection decals. I know that Hamburger's son got the company moving toward Chevy. Even if it is the old Hamburger's I had no idea they still dabbled in Mopar products.

Is there anyone out there that has a 'Cuda AND a Challenger that can run tape?