Author Topic: Guys I need help!  (Read 1705 times)

Offline torqueaddict

Guys I need help!
« on: September 28, 2011 - 01:06:19 PM »
Its the never ending story with this car. So the steering box was turning out to be quite costly now I have another issue. I have been having issues with my heads since I first bough this motor. I bought my 383 block and heads freshly assembled. Turns out I had one truck head one passenger car head, major issue. I then purchased a pair of 906 heads and had them redone. End of issue right, wrong the heads had crooked bolts which caused issues with the header and header gaskets sealing properly. So the machine guy said his bad and fixed the issue. Or so I thought. My motor gets assembled and all is good to my knowledge. I noticed I was having some leaks and wasnt sure what all was going on. Well turns out the shop drilled the hole that had the crooked bolt thus damaging the head further and the spot where the bolt was at was why I was leaking. Back to the steering box now, after realizing it would be really difficult to get to i e headers battery tray and other stuff had to come off he discovered that the head had to reworked again. That puts me in a really tough spot. First if the machine guy cant fix my head that means I have to either buy another 906 head and get it reworked. or I could put my stealth heads I was saving for my 440 build. I am posting to see what you guys think would be the best course of action and see what damage will using the heads in this motor do? All I know about the block thats in the car now is its a forged crank and flat top pistons and it has less than 3k on this motor. I dont know if this is the right section for this but what should I do guys? Any advice will be appreciated. And to make it worse the shop that was fixing my car now left the car jacked up so gas leaked from my gas tank under my paint and now I have a bubble in my paint so I have to get most of my car repainted!! This sucks!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011 - 01:33:41 PM by torqueaddict »
1972 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O) 1970 clone

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
Re: Guys I need help!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011 - 02:04:37 PM »
Bummer......    :screwy:  I would suggest that you go ahead and use the stealth heads.  It will save you some grief in messing with the 906's and trying to make them work, especially since you already have the stealth heads.  Good luck....    :2thumbs:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline swede-cuda

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011 - 02:28:11 PM »
 :wave: hej.crocked bolt? sloppy work. any idea as to how your car leaked on the paint just being jacked up?  :clueless:

Offline torqueaddict

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011 - 02:28:50 PM »
I wasn't really happy with my performance before. How I'll the stealth heads effect it afterwards. I think my performance concerns are related to the kickdown lingage concerns  I have and possibly needing a better carb and intake mani. What do u guys think?

Offline torqueaddict

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011 - 02:30:58 PM »
I wasn't really happy with my performance before. How I'll the stealth heads effect it afterwards. I think my performance concerns are related to the kickdown lingage concerns  I have and possibly needing a better carb and intake mani. What do u guys think?

Fuel cover no gas cap. I guess I really have no one to blame.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011 - 07:47:07 PM »
I would not expect a performance gain just installing the stealth heads on you present engine , but why spend the $$ twice , get the stealths , change the locks & retainers & install them on the engine for now & swap them onto the 440 when you build it

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline torqueaddict

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011 - 08:24:11 PM »
So running the stealth heads won't harm them. Or help my performance? Will it hurt my performance?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011 - 10:00:44 PM »
it should be about even , the smaller chamber will help but the alum absorbs more heat so you will end up with a lower compression ratio effectively from a heat standpoint.........  but you should gain some flow

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011 - 08:46:30 PM »
stealth heads would work just fine until the bottom end is complete BUT--->  is the current engine stock ? the reason i ask is if you have lets say ross / or good after market forged flat top piston you should be around 25 in the hole if the block hasnt been decked . then there would be a performance gain .if its stock then itll be around 75 in the hole and your engine will be as chryco said.i would try to install percys aluminum layer gaskets or mr gasket (same ) or  you could use copper permatex  around both sides of a paper gasket to hold you off until the other engine is built.   tighten heADER BOLTS drive car warm up . let cool down over night re tighten check tightness . header bolts come loose so you should check them and tighten anyway.
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline ireland383

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011 - 07:52:07 PM »
Stealths are the way to go.  I'm using KB400 pistons with 80cc heads and the fel pro 8519 gaskets.  That brings me to around 9.875 to 1 compression.  If not changing pistons go with a Cometic gasket around .020ish to help with your ratio.  FWIW I was able to use the stock locks and retainers with no issues after being checked out by machinist. :thumbsup:
1971 Plymouth Barracuda