Author Topic: vapor?  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Scat Pack Fever

• Mopars Rule!!!!!!!! Always Have, Always Will
  • Chrysler did it best!
vapor?
« on: September 28, 2011 - 04:17:23 PM »
I started my challenger up yesterday and noticed that vapor was comming out of the passenger side exhaust. I know it isn't smoke because it dissappears about a foot from the tail pipe. I din't leave it running long enough to tell if it was going to stop. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I am concerned that it is only comming out of one pipe instead of both.

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: vapor?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011 - 04:44:49 PM »
Probably just some water evaporating from the system.  The last time the engine was started(prior to you just starting it) how long did you run it?  Do you have a working heat riser in the passengers side exhaust manifold?  Do you have any weep holes in the back of your mufflers at the lowest point?

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011 - 06:45:37 PM »
IF it is ONLY water vapor, I wouldn't be too concerned...I think....  :sly:

Like burdar said, it could be water evaporating from the sustem.  Could be condensation also from a cool night.  Also, water vapor is actually a good by product of complete combustion of a hydrocarbon.

Is your carburator adjustment screws adjusted equally?  Just a thought...
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Scat Pack Fever

• Chrysler did it best!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011 - 08:04:41 PM »
Probably just some water evaporating from the system.  The last time the engine was started(prior to you just starting it) how long did you run it?  Do you have a working heat riser in the passengers side exhaust manifold?  Do you have any weep holes in the back of your mufflers at the lowest point?

It had been a while since I started it. No heat riser, I have headers. Not sure about the weep holes. I am running flowmasters. My biggest concern was a blown head gasket.

Offline Scat Pack Fever

• Chrysler did it best!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011 - 08:05:49 PM »
IF it is ONLY water vapor, I wouldn't be too concerned...I think....  :sly:

Like burdar said, it could be water evaporating from the sustem.  Could be condensation also from a cool night.  Also, water vapor is actually a good by product of complete combustion of a hydrocarbon.

Is your carburator adjustment screws adjusted equally?  Just a thought...

No sure on the carb screws. I'll check that. I live in St. Louis Mo and it has cooled off quite a bit over the last few weeks.

Offline PlumCraZRT

• My Challenger's Crappy Website
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011 - 06:58:32 PM »
Check to see if you have water in your oil.  If there is no water in the oil and the fluid levels are good, there will be no harm to the engine.
mmmmm.... Mopar.... *drool*

Offline Grec

• The '73 Chrysler should have made...
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011 - 07:34:51 PM »
It's pretty normal for cars to let out vapor on startup. Especially older, less emissions-regulated cars. (I believe it has to do with water condensation in the exhaust system.) I know mine does if she's sat for awhile.

Not sure if this has any bearing on your situation, but mine used to put out more vapor from one side of the exhaust until I did some tuning and sealed the headers really well.

Now I have much more balanced vapor... when I get it.
1973 Challenger Rallye
- 440 Six Pack
- A833 4 Speed, 18 Spline
- FE5 Rallye Red on Black

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011 - 09:22:56 PM »
I wouldn't be too concerned about a blown head gasket. I'd be more inclined to believe condensation in the exhaust that clears up after it's run till warm up...Try cracking on the engine after a little heat is in it and see if water flies out the tailpipe. If so, Then you have your answer....
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)