Author Topic: 440 source water pump housing over heating?  (Read 8316 times)

Offline Kevin71

440 source water pump housing over heating?
« on: September 29, 2011 - 12:13:07 PM »
I have been told that the 440 source water pump housing will cause over heating issues due to small openings.  Has anyone else had these problems?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Kevin71

Re: 440 source water pump housing over heating?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011 - 12:49:31 PM »
What a eye opener. :swear: :swear:  At least I now know what the problem is.  Thanks alot Chryco

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011 - 02:57:46 PM »
I've got a 440 source passenger side housing on mine with no issues. I wish i had thought to check for restrictions before I installed it though?  I did over heat (210) on me once while sitting for 1 1/2 hours at a border crossing on a 90 degree plus day with no breeze at all. First hour was ok, after that it started to creep up, we poured 2 water bottles on it every ten muinutes till we made it through. Never left me stranded, just worried is all.
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011 - 12:11:43 AM »
while sitting for 1 1/2 hours at a border crossing on a 90 degree plus day
Let me guess, Bluewater bridge?

......get your NEXUS!
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011 - 09:02:35 AM »
Let me guess, Bluewater bridge?

......get your NEXUS!

Niagara falls.  Where is the bluewater bridge? Nexus is only good if everyone in the car has one.
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline dodj

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011 - 10:54:41 PM »
Where is the bluewater bridge? Nexus is only good if everyone in the car has one.
Sarnia - Port Huron. Thought that would be a crossing you would make fairly often. Went through there myself a couple of weeks ago. Long line ups. Went from Port Huron down to Sandusky to take in the coasters at Cedar Point. Awesome park! Roads in Michigan took a toll on the tires and teeth though....Lost one centre cap off the fifth wheel.
Scott
1973 Challenger  440 4 spd 
2007.5 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel, Anarchy tuned.
Good friends don't let friends do stupid things. ........alone.

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011 - 09:32:22 AM »
Sarnia - Port Huron. Thought that would be a crossing you would make fairly often. Went through there myself a couple of weeks ago. Long line ups. Went from Port Huron down to Sandusky to take in the coasters at Cedar Point. Awesome park! Roads in Michigan took a toll on the tires and teeth though....Lost one centre cap off the fifth wheel.

AH gotcha! I usually cross at Queenston/Lewiston.... depending on were we are going of cource.  Found this picture of you on the coasters!  :lol:

Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline ireland383

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011 - 03:16:52 PM »
I have the Cat housing identical to the Source housing and run my car in 100 degree weather in traffic and never go over 180.  So it's obvious that something else is not up to par on your cooling system.
1971 Plymouth Barracuda

Offline Kevin71

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011 - 05:25:18 PM »
I have been runing a high flow waterpump also.  Have been told that it can the move the water to fast for it to cool going thru the radiator?  Thoughts on that.  I live in Florida, sitting in traffic for hours for a wreck in 100 degree temps with high humidity, it's tough to keep one cool in that situation.  Summer in the north is like a winter day here.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011 - 06:18:54 PM »
if the water moved through the rad too fast the thermostat would control that

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline PlumCraZRT

• My Challenger's Crappy Website
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011 - 03:28:59 AM »
I have been runing a high flow waterpump also.  Have been told that it can the move the water to fast for it to cool going thru the radiator?  Thoughts on that.  I live in Florida, sitting in traffic for hours for a wreck in 100 degree temps with high humidity, it's tough to keep one cool in that situation.  Summer in the north is like a winter day here.

The faster the water flows, the better.  It means the cooling system is a more uniform temperature (or that there are no hot/cold spots).
mmmmm.... Mopar.... *drool*

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011 - 07:21:19 PM »
Exactly, a high flow pump will not move the water thru the radiator too fast to be cooled.  That is folk lore.  Thermodynamics tells us that if it moves thru the radiator twice as fast as a normal pump, then any given unit of water will get back to the radiator twice as fast so it will be cooled in half the time...so it all comes out to the same answer.  Normally, it should cool even better because the higher velocity of the water flow thru the tubes causes more turbulence in them and that aids in heat transfer.

A big advantage of a high flow pump is that it will build higher pressure in the engine which promotes more even cooling as well as raises the boiling point against hot spots internal to the water passages.   Pressure in the block is higher than the pressure in the radiator which raises the internal boiling point.  When using a high flow thermostat, a high volume pump should be used in order to maintain this pressure. 

In some cases, in vertical tube radiators, the cap can blow open because there is higher pressure in the radiator tanks than the cap is rated for.  That is the advantage of horizontal core radiators...the cap is on the low side of the pressure.

Offline mopar12372

• mopartech
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011 - 09:35:11 PM »
Exactly, a high flow pump will not move the water thru the radiator too fast to be cooled.  That is folk lore.  Thermodynamics tells us that if it moves thru the radiator twice as fast as a normal pump, then any given unit of water will get back to the radiator twice as fast so it will be cooled in half the time...so it all comes out to the same answer.  Normally, it should cool even better because the higher velocity of the water flow thru the tubes causes more turbulence in them and that aids in heat transfer.

A big advantage of a high flow pump is that it will build higher pressure in the engine which promotes more even cooling as well as raises the boiling point against hot spots internal to the water passages.   Pressure in the block is higher than the pressure in the radiator which raises the internal boiling point.  When using a high flow thermostat, a high volume pump should be used in order to maintain this pressure. 

In some cases, in vertical tube radiators, the cap can blow open because there is higher pressure in the radiator tanks than the cap is rated for.  That is the advantage of horizontal core radiators...the cap is on the low side of the pressure.
we have been here before  . i still dont agree with your theory . i have dealt with a multitude of cooling problems  in my life time .
the 44 source water pump has smaller water jackets wich would raise pressure but flow would be restricted so a over heat issue would occure. 
MOPARTECH.NET ( come over and visit some time )
RESTO PICTURES
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=71096.30

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011 - 10:17:33 PM »
It is not my theory.  It is a fact according to science and you are mixing apples with oranges.  The 440source pump has often been known to restrict water flow thru the block rather than enhance it.  It is before the block so it does not increase pressure because it is, in essence, a low volume pump.

I have also dealt with many overheating issues for more than 50 years and removing a thermostat only causes an engine to overheat when it causes the pressure within the block to drop and lowers the boiling point because the pump does not have enuf volume to maintain the internal pressure.

The restriction caused by the thermostat helps maintain a higher pressure with in the block with a standard pump. 

I admit that I hated thermodynamics in college and wished after I started playing with turbo cars that I had taken it more seriously, but the science is solid, and obvious, when one considers that we are dealing with a closed loop system which removes coolant speed thru the radiator out of the equation.   In recent years there have been a number of articles refuting the old slow it down or it will not cool theory.    Here is one

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/tech_tips/Tech_Tips_3.htm
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011 - 10:19:22 PM by Strawdawg »