Author Topic: Just gotta vent.....  (Read 916 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Just gotta vent.....
« on: October 01, 2011 - 01:01:35 PM »
So I have had a pull right on my fish for a while now, once the brakes are hot.

Wasnt horrible so I put it off till this weekend.....rain as forecasted and figured it would be a good way to to spend an hour or two. Plus i could try out my new motive products pressure bleeder set up.

Cool.

So I ordered and got the new brake calipers under warranty at Autozone (current set is about 2.5 yrs old) last week and have had the parts for several days.  Doing just the left side for now to see if that cures it.  Easy peasy.

Go to do the job today.....got everything together and hooked up the hydraulic line.    Found that I had a huge leak at the bolt....assumed it was the copper washers I was using.  The ones provided with the rebuilt caliper were much thinner and had a bigger ID than what is on the car now......now problem, I says....i have a spare set of the original washers somewhere.  An hour later, cant find the damn things.    :banghead:

Ok, just go down to the store and buy decent ones.

Get a multi-pack, that has 5 different sizes in it.

Get home, NONE of them fit except one pair and its exactly the same as the ones with the caliper.    :pullinghair:

Well, after a few cusswords I decided to double check the new caliper hose mating surface.

Turns out it was machined wrong and they left a big lip on one side of the sealing surface, preventing a good seal.  :stomp:

So back to the parts store I go.   After unloading my frustration on the poor clerk, I end up having to order it again and it wont be here til sometime next week.....there goes the weekend and any chance of driving the fish...plus I really dont have time next week in the evening to do this job..... :swear:

Found another place that will have it in tomorrow morning and the total is only $22.00 no core.  So I will still be able to get the one from the first place and have it as a spare...LOL  Figured it was worth $22.00 to be done tomorrow.

Hate it when my plans get screwed up due to quality control issues!!!!!!!!!!

I did play with the motive products pressure bleeder.....just to get the air out of the old caliper I put back on to keep the system sealed up til tomorrow......and it seems to work great....still not sure how it works....seems like pressurizing the fluid would force air into the lines from the master cylinder reservoir??? :clueless:  But the product has good reviews.  It does seem (so far) to make one man bleeding easy. 

Thanks for listening to me vent....LOL

Offline go-fish

• Resident
Re: Just gotta vent.....
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011 - 01:04:33 PM »
Hakuna Matata, my man. Hakuna Matata.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011 - 01:15:26 PM »
Hakuna Matata, my man. Hakuna Matata.
LOL  Yeah I know its not the end of the world.

Just seems like nothing is easy....LOL

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011 - 04:59:34 PM »
Like I tell my boys..... OK lets get out your birth certificate and look for the " fair guarantee"

What? Oh wait? there isen't one? :roflsmiley:

Sorry I know that doesn't help but it was the first thing to pop in my head? :bigsmile:
"This too shall pass"
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011 - 05:14:36 PM »
Like I tell my boys..... OK lets get out your birth certificate and look for the " fair guarantee"

Sorry I know that doesn't help but it was the first thing to pop in my head? :bigsmile:
"This too shall pass"

"This too shall pass....like a kidney stone."

LOL

trust me I know this is a small (very very) small problem in the grand scale of things.    I count myself lucky to be having the problem....LOL

Still gonna gripe a little.... :bigsmile:

Offline GranCuda1970

• Sr. Resident
  • Rev 20:4. Mat 6:33 John 1:3 Mat 26:41
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011 - 06:00:29 PM »

I prefer the DARTH VADER approach    ...Perhaps you feel your being treated unfairly??????

« Last Edit: October 01, 2011 - 06:16:07 PM by GranCuda1970 »

Offline 71gogreen

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011 - 08:00:41 PM »
I was told by a mechanic if the part moves don,t buy it from autozone.  :smokin:
71challenger-millcreek park\71challenger-millcreek

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011 - 11:06:15 PM »
I was told by a mechanic if the part moves don,t buy it from autozone.  :smokin:

LOL  trouble is, these days, its all the same stuff.....even the NAPA stuff that used to be made in USA etc is all the same junk, just relabeled.

So you lays down your money and takes your chances I guess.